• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Devastated

Mandmcc

Alpha Buck
I’ve been a member here for a few years and don’t often post but today I’m devastated. I’ve lost three out of my four rabbits in the past few months, all suddenly in the night. My remaining rabbit Cory is older and on lots of meds but the three younger have gone one by one.
When I came down to find Caireann dead a few months after Bobert I requested a post mortem but it came back clear. They had originally said it was coronary with Bobert. And now last night my feisty girl Blossom died after going off her food - she didn’t make it to the emergency vets but just sort of spasmed and died. One day she was skipping and bouncing around the living room and the next dead.
There must be something going on here but what could it be. My rabbits are so important to me, I try to take really good care of them and have them insured to cover vet bills and take them regularly - Cory is there several times a month on average with his abscess and joints and I always research and try to give them the best care.
But this has left me feeling like a completely rubbish owner and one who shouldn’t be allowed to have animals. I’m at a complete loss. How can rabbits seem so vibrant and healthy and then just die without something more sinister going on.
70f6e28a5a80634f44cc697719252904.jpg

Bobert

17818f4fc902277633ae452cf1d6b8a7.jpg

Caireann

7924657ae01827974bb85fd25b5b47db.jpg

Blossom

75f0d4acd54f6b81694ae0445cef3a5d.jpg

Cory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry for your losses :cry: it is heartbreaking to lose them but you can't blame yourself, you can only do your best for them with the knowledge you have, they are so fragile :cry: Is your remaining rabbit vaccinated with vhd/myxomatosis combi vac and the new vhd2 vaccine?

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Sorry for your losses, how awful for you. Hope your remaining rabbit stays well. My initial thought was the same as zoobec, potentially rhd.

I don't think you should consider that you could have done anything more to prevent your recent losses. Having lost two out of three of my rabbits in the last 7 weeks I know how devastating this is. I too have found that with both of mine they have been bouncing around just a few hours before displaying a serious condition. My vet, last week following the second death, told me she had recently been to a rabbit conference where it had been shown, from reports of observation compared to in-depth diagnostics, just how much rabbits hide pain and disease.

It is hard and I feel for you.

Sorry for your losses, how awful for you. Hope your remaining rabbit stays well. My initial thought was the same as zoobec, potentially rhd.

I wasn't thinking or suggesting that was a potential cause, there are many many causes of sudden death in rabbits as they hide pain and illness so well that there is often no sign of anything wrong. Over the years I have lost a few rabbits suddenly without any warning and it is awful :cry:

I'm so sorry for your losses :cry: it is heartbreaking to lose them but you can't blame yourself, you can only do your best for them with the knowledge you have, they are so fragile :cry: Is your remaining rabbit vaccinated with vhd/myxomatosis combi vac and the new vhd2 vaccine?

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Yes all vaccinated and up to date, thank goodness. The vet did a blood test on Caireann as part of her post mortem too and was able to rule vhd/vhd2 :(

I'm very sorry for your loss of three buns in the last few months. I'm sure you are not doing anything wrong, rabbits are such fragile animals who hide any weakness or illness.
Nose rubs to your remaining bun

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I just don’t know what to do with myself. After Bobert and Caireann I’ve been hyper vigilant with Blossom and Cory. It happened so fast though. A few months ago my house was bedlam with rabbits galavanting everywhere and each of the four of them completely different and individual and completely loved. Now this morning it’s so quiet. Just heart breaking. Poor Cory is sick of the sight of me already :(

Yes all vaccinated and up to date, thank goodness. The vet did a blood test on Caireann as part of her post mortem too and was able to rule vhd/vhd2 :(

I'm so very sorry for your losses - this must be heartbreaking :(

Yes rabbits hide their pain, and even though they are bouncing around they can be harbouring something seriously wrong with themselves. There is nothing you could do to prevent that.

I am glad you had them all vaccinated, as it's easy to think deaths may be linked by VHD2 but there are just so many other causes ..

Sending you heartfelt hugs xx

Three in the space of a few months is just too much though, I’m really worried that there’s something underlying. I’m worried sick about it .

So sorry for your losses :( I don't know what to suggest, but maybe a post mortem will give you answers?

Back