• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Names - how did you choose yours?

Casco

Mama Doe
Finding it difficult to decide on a name for my new bunny, I don’t have a naming ‘theme’ going on for my current buns and there are just so many names out there I can’t decide :lol: So what names did you give yours and why? Was it just a name you liked or is there a reason behind the choice?

Hi
We have Harry as in Harry Houdini as he's great at escaping to places he shouldn't be in!
Daisy was her name when we adopted her. We kept that name as she has a blob of white on her just like a Daisy :)

Last edited:
My first battle nowadays is having to agree with OH as they are apparently "our" not "my" rabbits. This applies to my current trio.

Joey because of his manic periscope - reminded us of a baby kanga
Boo because she could :lol: resemble a ghost & she spooked very easily at first
Mouse because of her beautiful big eyes & her timind nature

My first battle nowadays is having to agree with OH as they are apparently "our" not "my" rabbits. This applies to my current trio.

Boo because she could :lol: resemble a ghost & she spooked very easily at first

I don’t have an OH to complicate the decision but the kids have pretty much named the existing 3. I would like to choose the next one but I’m not making much progress! Hopefully once he’s here and I get to know him a bit something will jump out at me.

Given that I have had over 120 Rabbits during the last 20 years I have gotten through rather a lot of names, listing them all on here could take some time...............:shock:

Frosty was called Bruce Lee because of his dramatic rescue involving police, social services, RSPCA and a man brandishing a samurai sword! But we weren’t keen on the name at the time and changed it to Frosty as I think his colour is frosty point.

Wow Jane that’s a lot of rabbits :shock:

Zoobec that sounds like an interesting rescue!

Some of my buns names have been taken off TV shows that we love -
Sheldon and Lenny from Big Bang Theory.
Prudhoe was the name of a town in Ice Road Truckers (we had a hamster called Dempster too).
Boris - well because he's a blond lion head - you figure it out :lol:.
Cheyenne because I just love that name and was going to call my daughter that - didn't have no human daughters after all so a rabbit will do :lol:
Joey because he looks like a baby roo.
Princess was Frankie but she is such a little madam and so demanding that quickly changed.

Only poor Bug didn't get named properly - we called her Bug as a something to call her whilst thinking up a name - 4 years later and we're still thinking up a name for her :lol::lol::lol:

Prudhoe was the name of a town in Ice Road Truckers (we had a hamster called Dempster too).
Cheyenne because I just love that name and was going to call my daughter that - didn't have no human daughters after all so a rabbit will do :lol:
Princess was Frankie but she is such a little madam and so demanding that quickly changed.

Only poor Bug didn't get named properly - we called her Bug as a something to call her whilst thinking up a name - 4 years later and we're still thinking up a name for her :lol::lol::lol:

aww, we have the same reasons for choosing Joey :love:

Casco I reckon all will become clear(er) when you meet new bunny. I'm jealous - I'm broody for number 4

Elphaba is the 'real' name of the Wicked Witch of the West in Wicked. Elphie is a nickname she is given within the musical.

Athena is after the Greek goddess; when I first saw her she just 'said' "Hi I'm Athena get me out of here!"

Helios/Selene are Greek gods too, well Titans. Of the Sun and Moon respectively.

Rivergrace is a name of a 'pretend' flower in a Nintendo mini game. It just has a beautiful flow to it, making it perfect for the right rabbit. We named Morningstar to go with her (adopted together) and then realised it's a name given to both Jesus and the Devil. Given Morning's scrappy demeanor, it's appropriate.

Persephone, another Greek goddess. Morpheus, a Greek god, the god of dreams as he looks like a dream.

Arce arrived with bridge bunny Iris. Iris is the Greek goddess of the rainbow and Arce is the goddess of the Double Rainbow.

Erasmus is a Greek name. He was advertised as special needs due to being a biter. His name means "worthy of being loved" because he is. Oh, and he hasn't bitten once, but he IS deaf. And still worthy of being loved.

Yuki is Japanese for Frost. His middle/rescue name is Winter. Niji, we picked out before we met him. He was to be bonded with Arce, and Niji is Japanese for Rainbow.

I have such a random approach for picking names :lol:

Sweep was because I just liked the name, probably because my best friend when I was little had the most amazing cocker spaniel called Sweep who I adored.

Hettie was named at the rescue, I liked it and it suited her so it stayed!

Woody and Jess because I love Toy Story! They were Bisciit and Cappuccino before...yawn!

Noah was Noah at the rescue and one of my fave names anyway. Skye was Doris at the rescue. Skye wa a chosen as I love the name and she had sky blue eyes :love:

River because it’s a lovely natural name and unusual too :)

Blue was going to have another more natural name but as soon as I met him I said to dean ‘he’s a Blue!’ He just suited it completely.

I say I like unusual names but it would seem the evidence says otherwise :lol:

Bugsey 😊

Boo was previously called Pippa:shock: Mouse was Betsy & Joey was Warren. If I find Ziggy he will keep his name

Blackberry - because he was tiny (8 weeks old nethie), black and shiny, so the other 'Boys' had to have names that went with that.
Dandelion - had the yellowest markings out of the four (they were black otters)
Buttercup - he was a sweetie
Clover - (we thought he was a girl) - but incredibly pretty so the name stuck.

Lady Jane Willoughby - named Jane at the rescue (as in Plain Jane - we wanted the plainest bunny with less chance of re homing than a pretty coloured one) - I'd fancied calling her Willow, it was soon apparent that she was a diva, so was referred to as 'Her Ladyship', so we melded the names and got Lady Jane Willoughby (and she changed from a scraggy grey-ish brown-ish bunny into a beautiful grey lionhead cross with a flowing mane!)

Mr. Beau Brambles - co-owned by myself and my mum (I was trying to resist when the vets phoned saying they had a stray needing a home, but mum saw his pic and fell in love....) She wanted to call him Elvis, but there seemed to be a lot of bunnies called Elvis at the time. In the end we both agreed that we liked Beau, but wanted a longer 'full' name - so added the Mr. to the front and Brambles to the back (to tie in with the names of The Boys).

George got his name because it was St George’s Day and I couldn’t think of a more imaginative name :lol:

Cupcake got her name eventually after me going through the various ideas I had for her and looking at her and realising with her brown and white and how small she was she looked like a little cupcake

Boo because she could [emoji38] resemble a ghost & she spooked very easily at first
:love: wonderful reasons.

My girls are called Daphne and Phoebe.
The reason being - I asked my sister to give us some suggestions for Daphne and we liked the name. (It also suits her and she's often called DD (Dominant Daph)).

Phoebe got her name as we wanted something that would kinda suit Daphne... again my sister chose and it suits her. She reminds us of Phoebe from Friends. She often just gets called Phoeb though.

I should add my sister is older than me and is almost 30 lol

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I love that many of the names have evolved once you get to know them, or are based on their personality. Ours are totally random! Coco was already picked as a definite before we got the bunnies, it’s the name of the mascot at the hotel we always go to and the kids were determined to use it :lol: Casper was just decided amongst us in between reserving and adopting the rabbits, it sort of suits him as he has such long fluffy fur he vaguely resembles Casper the friendly ghost. Millie was given that name by the rescue, related to the town she was found straying in. We liked the name so kept it but changed the spelling as it was previously an unusual spelling which would get mispronounced.

We adopted Yan, Tan, Tethra and Methra as a family unit (Dad, Mum and two sons) almost 6 years ago. They all had other names. My OH decided on the names, which come from a sheep-counting rhyme/system traditionally used by shepherds in Northern England (he's a Northern lad). I wasn't that keen, but I liked the fact that the names related to one another. I did get very used to them though.

I'm not sure I want to continue the same theme when we get more rabbits. For a start, one of the options for the next name (i.e.5) would be Pimp (just no :shock:) and also the new rabbits would have no blood relationship with my Rex family. I might change my mind later.

Back