• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Larder beetles

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
We've had larder beetles in the past, before we had bunnies. We tried just keeping on top of them naturally for a few months, but they got worse, so we resorted to poison.

We're in a different flat now, but have a new larder beetle issue. This time it's complicated because we have the rabbits, so we can't be putting poison on the floor.

Do you have any tips for getting rid?

It might depend on what sort of beetles they are. Many live on carbohydrate-based dry food. I would generally make sure that any (ie all) food sources are kept in sealed (airtight) containers, then physically remove (vacuum?) as many of the beasties as you can on a regular basis. If you can find the source of them, it may make it easier to remove the bulk of them.

We had grain weevils many years ago. They probably came in via a bad batch of hamster mix. We had a thorough clear out of the kitchen cupboards - ditching anything that was open or in paper / card packaging - and keeping all dry food in sealed freezer bags or sandwich boxes - that includes all pet food as well. We also use a household flea spray (Staykil) in all the nooks and crannies that we physically couldn't get in, in the hope it would help. They eventually died out.

I keep bags of flour in plastic boxes with lids (not airtight, but closed off) and once opened, pasta & rice are decanted into airtight jars. Things like nuts will be folded over and clipped shut with food pegs, but I was doing all that before the larder beetles moved in (a hangover from the last time). I think I'll run the cupboards down so there is less of a food source too.

We think they are living under the kitchen cabinets, but we pulled the kickboards away and just can't find where they are... I sweep them up & flush the larvae when I see them just now, but more are hatching...

What sort of size are they? In my experience, you will find them living in or on their food source. When I've had grain creepy crawlies, they've been living in the food source. Whereabouts are you seeing them?

They are mixture of sizes, and look like this:

https://goo.gl/images/4QaXZw

The biggest are around 1/2 an inch, smallest are 1/4 inch. We only saw 1 actual beetle. We mostly find them in the edges along the kickboards (think they're finding crumbs there) but have found a few in the cutlery drawer & another utensil drawer.

To be honest I'd get a reputable pest control company in, they should be able to deal with it and protect the bunnies.

Hmm, ok, I'll try calling someone. I do worry they'll be flippant about the rabbits - they live in our living room, and the kitchen is off the living room, so if it's not handled safely they are at high risk.

Back