• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals - time between them shortening?

treacletrim

Young Bun
Hi,

Just a query to see if it's usual/possible for the time between dentals to get shorter....and why? We adopted Patsy 2 years ago, aged approx 2 years. She had a thorough dental check whilst being spayed under GA and was found to have a tiny molar spur, which was burred but had not been causing any issues. We were happy to take her on knowing this. Patsy needed another dental about 10 months later, and then another 4 months after that. Now 2 months on from the last, I'm detecting very subtle signs that she may be due again before long :/

Patsy came from a bad home, but now gets the best care and is an excellent hay eater. She eats a lot of hay and 2tbsp of pellets a day (she is a stocky 2.6kg). I would have thought this would fend off her molar spurs, so am surprised the length between treatment appears to be shortening.

Does something change in a rabbits tooth growth as they get older? We think she is around 4 now.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks x

Hi,

Just a query to see if it's usual/possible for the time between dentals to get shorter....and why? We adopted Patsy 2 years ago, aged approx 2 years. She had a thorough dental check whilst being spayed under GA and was found to have a tiny molar spur, which was burred but had not been causing any issues. We were happy to take her on knowing this. Patsy needed another dental about 10 months later, and then another 4 months after that. Now 2 months on from the last, I'm detecting very subtle signs that she may be due again before long :/

Patsy came from a bad home, but now gets the best care and is an excellent hay eater. She eats a lot of hay and 2tbsp of pellets a day (she is a stocky 2.6kg). I would have thought this would fend off her molar spurs, so am surprised the length between treatment appears to be shortening.

Does something change in a rabbits tooth growth as they get older? We think she is around 4 now.

Thanks x

Yes, it's not uncommon, unfortunately :(

Once a rabbit's teeth begin to 'misalign', no amount of good hay eating will make them straighten out again. They will wear down unevenly and therefore the spurs will become evident.

It gets to be a problem when there are too many anaesthetics in too short a space of time, and the rabbit finds it hard to cope with the recovery. Hopefully that won't apply to Patsy ...

Hi,

Thanks x

Predicting the time between Dentals is seldom an exact science as it depends on the precise nature of the Dental problems. Establishing the Grade of Dental Disease present is a useful tool

Osteodystrophic Dental Disease

Progression of this disease has been categorised into five stages, each of which carries a different prognosis. The range of clinical signs present at any one time will vary between individuals and during the progression of the disease.

Grade 1
: normal.

Grade 2
: subclinical dental disease:
Horizontal grooves on maxillary (upper) incisors with or without slight deviation.
Teeth may be a dull white (defective enamel) and lack the normal vertical groove.
Palpable swellings along ventral border of mandible.
Partial or complete obstruction of nasolacrimal duct with secondary infection (dacryocystitis Eye: dacryocystitis ), often misdiagnosed as conjunctivitis.
May be no clinical signs, hence importance of always examining rabbit mouths and correcting diet.

Grade 3: acquired crown abnormalities and occlusal defects:
Aberrant growth, malocclusion, discoloration or fractures of incisors.
Incisors may grow into adjacent soft tissues.
Minor distortions of molars or premolars resulting in sharp spikes which may lacerate or penetrate tongue or buccal mucosa.
Anorexia Anorexia and weight loss Weight loss .
Caked feces around anus Sticky bottom syndrome , often misdiagnosed as diarrhea.
Fly strike Fly strike .
Salivation and wet chin and dewlap.
If molars/premolars not involved, there may be no clinical signs, unless incisors invade local soft tissues.

Grade 4
: major abnormalities of tooth crowns and cessation of tooth growth:
Periodontal disease - pus discharging around teeth especially incisors.
Gross distortion of some or all teeth.
Major pathological changes to tooth roots.
Abscesses develop when periapical tissues and soft tissues penetrated by elongated tooth crowns become secondarily infected.
Reluctance to eat hard food.
Exacerbation of Grades 2 and 3 clinical signs.
When teeth stop growing, crowns may break off and many clinical signs disappear.
Some rabbits can eat and groom despite their oral ill health.

Grade 5
: osteomyelitis Osteomyelitis and abscess formation Abscess :
Mandibular, retrobulbar Eye: retrobulbar abscess and lacrimal bone abscesses form in association with periosteal penetration by premolar and molar tooth roots.

(Source- Vetstream Lapis)

Has your Vet explained the precise nature of your Rabbit's Dental issues and exactly what treatment is carried out during her Dental procedures ?

There is some more information about Dental Disease on the following links

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongenIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

The following three links are from my Vet's blog:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

You may see mentions of Rabbits having Dentals without a GA- 'Conscious Dentals'. My Vet is opposed to this course of action for several reasons and I am in total agreement with her :)

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund make this statement :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/about-the-rwaf/policy-statements/#conscious

I hate to say it... but cutting out pellets completely for my buns was the best choice I made.
One was having dental treatment under GA every 4 to 6 weeks. We weaned her off pellets and introduced different hay types, we also looked into different nutritional values of veg, hay, forage so she continued to have a balanced diet. Since this, she's not had any dental treatment and the check ups have been perfect.

I would discuss with your vet exactly what they are doing and consider feeding her fresh grass as the silica levels are higher I grass than hay. (Meaning it wares down teeth better). Obviously she should still have access to hay at all times.

Everyone else has provided brilliant info and advice :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When my buns have decreased their time between dentals (which has been all but two), they have actually had (without exception) micro abscesses under their tooth roots, which has then led to them not eating hay or pellets as much, causing pain, and causing them to regrow faster. They were only ever given one pellet in the morning and evening as this was developing, but I did have to increase their pellets as hay also wasn't working for them.

Once this was diagnosed and they were put on appropriate antibiotics, then in all of them, their time between dentals increased drastically, so they could go many months and into years without dentals, vs weeks.

The micro abscesses were only identifiable under x-rays of certain angles, and, initially, with consultation with Iain Cope (although my vets can do it themselves now).

When my buns have decreased their time between dentals (which has been all but two), they have actually had (without exception) micro abscesses under their tooth roots, which has then led to them not eating hay or pellets as much, causing pain, and causing them to regrow faster. They were only ever given one pellet in the morning and evening as this was developing, but I did have to increase their pellets as hay also wasn't working for them.

Once this was diagnosed and they were put on appropriate antibiotics, then in all of them, their time between dentals increased drastically, so they could go many months and into years without dentals, vs weeks.

The micro abscesses were only identifiable under x-rays of certain angles, and, initially, with consultation with Iain Cope (although my vets can do it themselves now).
Very interesting Sky-O. Thank you for sharing that. :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's interesting Sky-O :)

I've also found that a rabbit doesn't get dental issues from not eating hay. They can't eat hay *because* of dental issues. I would be wary of removing all pellets, but it's important to get a good vet to establish the cause of the shortening intervals between dentals.

Many people on this Forum have contacted me regarding conscious dentals and which vets do them, as they don't want their rabbit PTS or risk dying under repeat GAs. :)

Back