• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unthinkable

Some people are no better than the animals they claim to be so superior to. I always say the way that people treat animals just shows the kind of person they are. Just knowing it feels pain should be enough to want to be kind, I don't care about these stupid arguments about what is sentient or not.

Just discusting.

My mum became a rabbit owner when she bought a house and the previous owners left the bunny. They'd left it food and water and everything, and my mum agreed to them leaving the bunny, but you still have to wonder about the sort of person that can just leave a pet as though it were a fixture of the house. It's a rabbit, not a bleeding shed.

Bertie said:
My mum became a rabbit owner when she bought a house and the previous owners left the bunny. They'd left it food and water and everything, and my mum agreed to them leaving the bunny, but you still have to wonder about the sort of person that can just leave a pet as though it were a fixture of the house. It's a rabbit, not a bleeding shed.

I have never heard of that before :-(! I would imagine that it had probably ceased to be a pet very quickly and simply became a burden stuck in a hutch and the subject of arguments as to who and when the feeding and cleaning was to be done. Sadly very common.

I don't blame the owners. they have been brought up on a culture of rabbits are cheap and easy to keep and feed and house. They can only do what society tells them and that is not good news for Buns!

Hopefully internet forums and the RWA will make a dent in that but only a dent I am afraid?

Bob said:
I have never heard of that before :-(! I would imagine that it had probably ceased to be a pet very quickly and simply became a burden stuck in a hutch and the subject of arguments as to who and when the feeding and cleaning was to be done. Sadly very common.

When my dad bought a house to do up and sell he found a tank of terrapins had been left behind. Not animals that appeal to me, but they're still alive and somewhat more aware than a house plant. You don't just leave them behind and wash your hands of them.

I could never just abandon an animal. Even if I bought it and found out it was a horrible mistake I would still make sure I found it a home, and not just leave it to starve.

My goodness...this was such a sad story but I am so glad that it had a happy ending. I am all choked thinking on these poor vulnerable bunnies. How could anyone treat them like that!! Great to think that now they must be in seventh heaven!!

I cannot bring myself to read the story (have to go out tommorow and could do without the golf ball eyes) but I can guess that it is pretty bad judging by everyones comments. I am a bad sleeper at the best of times but when i see the news and hear such distressing stories, they somehow seem to come into my dreams and turn into nightmares. Its a very sad world we live in and a shame that bad stories outdo the good ones.

Back