• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey has sore hocks starting

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I can see there are loads of threads for Sore hocks which I will have a good read through tonight. But when I went home at lunch time and checked on Bailey he has got a little red patch form on his heel of his right hock! Although it's not bleeding, it is very red and looking quite sore.

I'm in absolute shock as his feet are normally so fluffy, but he has been doing lots of lapping recently and I'm scared the carpet has done this. He is due to go to the vets at the end of this month for his vaccination and ear check up as he has got a small amount of puss in his right ear again which we are treating him for.

is there anything I can do at home to try and keep this under control and not get any worse? I have plenty of throws which I have placed down on the carpet today to make this much softer for him. Or am I best just taking him back to the vets?

I will try and upload a picture later tonight to see what you think!? Honesty I swear this little bunny was sent to test me!!

Thanks so much,
Ruth xx

Hi guys,

I can see there are loads of threads for Sore hocks which I will have a good read through tonight. But when I went home at lunch time and checked on Bailey he has got a little red patch form on his heel of his right hock! Although it's not bleeding, it is very red and looking quite sore.

I'm in absolute shock as his feet are normally so fluffy, but he has been doing lots of lapping recently and I'm scared the carpet has done this. He is due to go to the vets at the end of this month for his vaccination and ear check up as he has got a small amount of puss in his right ear again which we are treating him for.

is there anything I can do at home to try and keep this under control and not get any worse? I have plenty of throws which I have placed down on the carpet today to make this much softer for him. Or am I best just taking him back to the vets?

I will try and upload a picture later tonight to see what you think!? Honesty I swear this little bunny was sent to test me!!

Thanks so much,
Ruth xx

It may be that he has scuffed his hock on the carpet as he has been charging about. So covering the carpet with something less abrasive would be a good idea. But as you know there are other possible causes of a sore hock/sore hocks so a thorough check up by the Vet would be my advice in the first instance.

Is the sore hock on the opposite side to the ear with pus in it ?

Hi guys,

Thanks so much,
Ruth xx

Ruth, that little bunny was definitely sent to try you!

I would do what you've done, put some soft stuff down to prevent him abrading the hocks worse. it sometimes doesn't amount to anything though, and they heal back nice and pink and covered again :)

If he's still got lots of fur on his feet, I shouldn't worry too much. Let the vet assess it, it sounds just the beginnings to me.

I am sorry to hear about his ear though. What are you treating that with?

It may be that he has scuffed his hock on the carpet as he has been charging about. So covering the carpet with something less abrasive would be a good idea. But as you know there are other possible causes of a sore hock/sore hocks so a thorough check up by the Vet would be my advice in the first instance.

Is the sore hock on the opposite side to the ear with pus in it ?

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much, he has got quite large back feet compared to his size, and is very heavy footed when he hops. When he was much younger the vet did say arthritis could be a possibility as he get's older, but he's only 3! Surely he's still a nipper yet as he certainly acts like one! :)

And yes it is.. do you think they might be connected?

Ruth, that little bunny was definitely sent to try you!

I would do what you've done, put some soft stuff down to prevent him abrading the hocks worse. it sometimes doesn't amount to anything though, and they heal back nice and pink and covered again :)

If he's still got lots of fur on his feet, I shouldn't worry too much. Let the vet assess it, it sounds just the beginnings to me.

I am sorry to hear about his ear though. What are you treating that with?

Hiya MightyMax, thanks so much!! and I know, ears, eyes, digestion and now feet!!

Thank you, that's great.. I'll have to wait and see what there room is like when I get home, as Bella is a complete nightmare with any type of throw or blanket but hopefully they'll still be down for him!

Yeah I know, I was gutted!! Weirdly it's not in the very narrow ear which we struggled with last time, instead the other one. I have continued to clean his ears every 2 weeks, so it's not hugely bad and they aren't overly concerned but there is visible pus in there! :(

At the moment, we have uped his ear cleaning to every other day. He's due back at the end of the month and if it's no better, then we'll start with the anti-biotics again.

In the meantime, he is also suffering with dry eyes the same side as his ear. So he's also having visco tears added, along with another one which is suppose to last up to 8 hours.

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much, he has got quite large back feet compared to his size, and is very heavy footed when he hops. When he was much younger the vet did say arthritis could be a possibility as he get's older, but he's only 3! Surely he's still a nipper yet as he certainly acts like one! :)

And yes it is.. do you think they might be connected?

Not necessarily. But if a Rabbit has some discomfort in one hip/hind leg they may get a gunky ear on the side that the hip/leg is less mobile and a sore hock on the other hind leg as they are taking more weight on it. If that makes sense. But as I have said, this may not apply to Bailey at all, it is just something I have encountered in a few Rabbits over the years.

Hiya MightyMax, thanks so much!! and I know, ears, eyes, digestion and now feet!!

Thank you, that's great.. I'll have to wait and see what there room is like when I get home, as Bella is a complete nightmare with any type of throw or blanket but hopefully they'll still be down for him!

Yeah I know, I was gutted!! Weirdly it's not in the very narrow ear which we struggled with last time, instead the other one. I have continued to clean his ears every 2 weeks, so it's not hugely bad and they aren't overly concerned but there is visible pus in there! :(

At the moment, we have uped his ear cleaning to every other day. He's due back at the end of the month and if it's no better, then we'll start with the anti-biotics again.

In the meantime, he is also suffering with dry eyes the same side as his ear. So he's also having visco tears added, along with another one which is suppose to last up to 8 hours.

You're a real trooper :D

You might want to think about getting some rubber matting for the floor, if all the throws are rucked up and not doing their job. It might not be so easy to keep the place clean though, as bits of hay will get everywhere. You could of course turn your house into a barn with a layer of thick hay :shock: What am I saying! :lol:

Hope the ear cleaning works and that things get no worse. I don't think arthritis at the age of three, surely not?

If you put a small amount of sudocrem on the heel of the foot, build it up slowly over days, it might help get rid of the sore spot

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so far, but Bailey still has his sore spot on his hocks and are still really red and sore looking! :(

We've been to the vets this morning and they have recommended using some hemeroid cream! Apparently it should help bring blood to the site and help ease the redness!

Anyone ever had any luck with this?

He already has throws on the floor covering the carpet, puppy pads in the bottom of the litter tray and also a nice new soft dog bed he's taking a liking too?

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks xx

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advise so far, but Bailey still has his sore spot on his hocks and are still really red and sore looking! :(

We've been to the vets this morning and they have recommended using some hemeroid cream! Apparently it should help bring blood to the site and help ease the redness!

He already has throws on the floor covering the carpet, puppy pads in the bottom of the litter tray and also a nice new soft dog bed he's taking a liking too?

Any advise would be really appreciated! Thanks xx

I have used Haemorrhoid cream for Sore Hocks in the past. Unfortunately it did not help the Rabbit I was caring for. That said, it is certainly worth a try as what helps one Rabbit may not help another. Just make sure that you only use the 'mild' variety of Haemorhhoid Cream, not one that contains Hydrocortisone.

Has the Vet ruled out any spinal/hip problems ? Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another mobility problem.

Did the Vet suggest giving Metacam for a few days to try to settle the acute inflammation ?

A bit of further reading :

http://www.highcroftvetreferrals.co.uk/about/blog/exotic-species/pododermatitis-in-rabbits

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...is-in-rabbits-an-under-recognised-problem.pdf

and this is the Pet Rabbit Pododermatitis Scoring System

8FFZf2q.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so far, but Bailey still has his sore spot on his hocks and are still really red and sore looking! :(

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks xx

Hi there Ruth and sorry to hear about Bailey ...

Have I told you about these creams?

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

Honesty thanks so much both! :love:

Jane - it's only a grade 1 on each foot, but I'll try and take a picture later to show you. As he's only 3 they don't think it's related to anything else and are more thinking it's our carpet as it's quite short and the little sod loves lapping round most mornings which I know doesn't help! :(

I think we'll try and give this ago but if there is sign of no improvement, then I'll ask them to look further. He has got big back feet compared to his body, but otherwise he moves fine. Guessing this can only be spotted from an MRI?

I don't think he's in pain with them, I watch him like a hawk as he's previously had a urine infection which were happy he's been treated for and all good, his ears are still quite waxy but are puss free which is the main thing! :)

Thanks mighty max - I'll have a look at those, I'm already stressing as I'm away for 5 days in Early February and as much as I know Martin will look after them, I just can't help worrying he'll be okay. If I can get my hands on some cream and see if it maybe helps over the next week.

Thanks so much xx

Last edited:
Jane - it's only a grade 1 on each foot, but I'll try and take a picture later to show you. As he's only 3 they don't think it's related to anything else and are more thinking it's our carpet as it's quite short and the little sod loves lapping round most mornings which I know doesn't help! :(

I think we'll try and give this ago but if there is sign of no improvement, then I'll ask them to look further. He has got big back feet compared to his body, but otherwise he moves fine. Guessing this can only be spotted from an MRI?

I don't think he's in pain with them, I watch him like a hawk as he's previously had a urine infection which were happy he's been treated for and all good, his ears are still quite waxy but are puss free which is the main thing! :)

Re the Metacam, I was thinking of it being beneficial for it's anti-inflammatory properties, even if Bailey is not actually in pain. But if a topical treatment helps reduce inflammation then that is obviously a better option.

Another cream that I have found to be useful for some 'sore hock Rabbits' is Flamazine. It is a POM and it is used to treat burns in humans

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1489124841570.pdf

This may also be one to consider

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Leovet-...EMQmH1BXRZ1Nk5JDAhJ4gvUQxqnnnVsBoCw3oQAvD_BwE

Amazing, thank you so much! Guessing it'll be okay if he does groom himself and manage to eat some?

Ah okay, yeah good shout. I have plenty here, so I'll call the vet shortly and find out what dosage their happy for me to give him. Then again he's been on metacam recently for his urine infection so surely it would have made a difference by now maybe?

I'll see how we get on! He's a little monkey for sure!

Thanks xx

Last edited:
Honesty thanks so much both! :love:

Thanks mighty max - I'll have a look at those, I'm already stressing as I'm away for 5 days in Early February and as much as I know Martin will look after them, I just can't help worrying he'll be okay. If I can get my hands on some cream and see if it maybe helps over the next week.

Thanks so much xx

Yes, carpet can really aggravate sore hocks :( It's just not what a wild rabbit would experience, is it?

I know the stress of leaving your buns in the care of someone else, regardless of who that someone else is!

I'm glad to hear he's not in pain, I think you would know if he was :)

Amazing, thank you so much! Guessing it'll be okay if he does groom himself and manage to eat some?

Ah okay, yeah good shout. I have plenty here, so I'll call the vet shortly and find out what dosage their happy for me to give him. Then again he's been on metacam recently for his urine infection so surely it would have made a difference by now maybe?

Thanks xx

When applying anything topical just put the bear minimum on and then try to distract him for 10 minutes afterwards so the cream has time to be absorbed. That way there will be very little remaining on the surface for him to ingest. Also, try not to get any of the cream on the fur as not only will that encourage him to lick at the area but it'll also flatten the fur thus making it less protective of the bald area. IYSWIM !!

Thanks xx

I must say I tend to keep Metacam for the bug guns, where there really is pain. I would try coping with creams that contain a bit of local anaesthetic to be honest. Just my thoughts x

Back