• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh Dear- Dodgy Health Advice For Rabbits

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
'Elsewhere' I have just learned that a Rabbit jaw abscess can be treated at home by bursting it with a needle and then putting Manuka Honey in it. Antibiotics should not be given as they will kill the Rabbit....................:shock:

Trouble is some people will actually believe this 'advice'. I was tempted to respond but I dont fancy an onslaught of abuse !!

I would have to respond. I'm happy to if you want to let me know where. Bring on the abuse :)

The Manuka honey bit is OK though isn't it? I've used that on abscesses and I am sure the vets I saw at the time approved it - and that includes John Chitty. I did think it was a bit odd - and very expensive and messy - but it did seem to help with my Bridge Bun Furby's abscess. The vet squeezed the abscess - not me - and the bun/cat did have antibiotics as well.

The Manuka honey bit is OK though isn't it? I've used that on abscesses and I am sure the vets I saw at the time approved it - and that includes John Chitty. I did think it was a bit odd - and very expensive and messy - but it did seem to help with my Bridge Bun Furby's abscess. The vet squeezed the abscess - not me - and the bun/cat did have antibiotics as well.

Yes, medical grade Manuka Honey is great stuff. It's the 'antibiotics will kill the Rabbit' bit that I am referring to!

I'll join in on the abuse if it's still going? :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

There wasn't any abuse last time I looked as no-one had challenged the 'advice'. But knowing what the Page can be like I didn't fancy putting myself in the firing line.

There wasn't any abuse last time I looked as no-one had challenged the 'advice'. But knowing what the Page can be like I didn't fancy putting myself in the firing line.
Well I'm happy to comment on it. We all know here that it's terrible advice to advise avoiding antibiotics.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm wondering which group it is, thinking of !at be one Ieft few months as everytime i logged in they where arguing over anything and everything lol, o of fed up of seeing it lol

Ha Ha! I got told off by mods for telling sally the idiot was a breeder.:) That's me in the naughty corner :lol:

Back