• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Missing dew claws

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Yes dewclaws (plural). So I just gave Mouseypie a pedicure & one dewclaw is missing:? Next is Joey & he has one missing & one just growing.
Where have they gone. I honestly think I'd find them unless they were in the litter tray. There has definitely been no blood loss - I couldn't miss that. Does anybody have an explanation?

I've yet to do Boo's pedicure - I'm half imagining she has stolen Joey & Mouses dewclaws & has them arranged in a flick knife arrangement :shock::lol:

No sign of the whole thing (except in Joeys stumpy one that feels like its regrowing)
Have a good rub over the area, you might feel a stump in the bone.

It's possible they got lost in the tray and with their cleaning it's easy to miss the blood. I didn't know Daphne lost a nail until I tried to cut it [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Have a good rub over the area, you might feel a stump in the bone.

It's possible they got lost in the tray and with their cleaning it's easy to miss the blood. I didn't know Daphne lost a nail until I tried to cut it [emoji38]

Thanks DP. They are all huddled together at the mo, feet tucked firmily under them, I'll examine further after snoozy time. It seems really weird - 3 out of 4 dewclaws. I can't imagine where they can have caught them. Do they ever just fall out? Could it be indicative of another problem - they are all getting on & seem healthy

Thanks DP. They are all huddled together at the mo, feet tucked firmily under them, I'll examine further after snoozy time. It seems really weird - 3 out of 4 dewclaws. I can't imagine where they can have caught them. Do they ever just fall out? Could it be indicative of another problem - they are all getting on & seem healthy
Sometimes just getting caught can rip them off. I've not known them to come off due to other problems unless they got something caught around them, circulation cut then it fell off. But I think you'd have noticed that.

Its rather odd that its more then one rabbit, I'd have thought if they had torn off or injured there would of been blood on their paws as nails bleed and awful if you end accidentally accidentally cut into the quick.
Unless the other bunnies had licked it all away before you had dance to see, during grooming each other or themselves

Its rather odd that its more then one rabbit, I'd have thought if they had torn off or injured there would of been blood on their paws as nails bleed and awful if you end accidentally accidentally cut into the quick.
Unless the other bunnies had licked it all away before you had dance to see, during grooming each other or themselves

I agree its odd. I've just checked Joeys & both nails are starting to grow - quite hard to find & tiny. He was fine with me touching them so assume no infection, soreness. Mouse is currently rolling on her back looking very cosy so I haven't the heart to bother her. Boo (keletkezes we misjudged her) has normal ones - but no extras

I had a thought / possible explanation. I think this might have happened on a vet trip. Joey in particular tries to steady himself by attaching his claws to the slits in the carrier. Previously I'd arranged the bedding in there so the slits are covered but think I've neglected to do so recently. If there'd been blood on the towels I might not have noticed & just chucked them in the wash. I shall have to purchase some duct tape

Back