• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed emotions - Pumpkin goat trouble. Update- rehomed- pics

Zoobec

Staff member
So the saga with Pumpkin the Dad goat continues. Even though he was castrated in spring he is still unpredictable, grumpy and aggressive with us and especially Lola. Out in the field they are ok together, but as a trio plus Pumpkin. In the shed at night they are still separated, I've tried them a few times and recently had to run down to save Lola as he was ramming and flipping her up with his horns :cry:

I've tried my best to get things to work out, and I feel very sad that they haven't :cry: I've had so much goat related tragedy over the years and I can't trust him not to hurt Lola. Also he's not happy in himself, he was depressed after we lost Patch, his first wife and soulmate, and despite getting Pickle as a friend for him he never had the same bond. He seems to be down and frustrated. Splitting the shed means they are all in or all out, so in winter day times they can't come in, only into the log shed which is just a roof on legs.

I've come to the conclusion that I will have to look for a new home for him :cry: I've found someone who has 5 other boy goats and 30 acres for him to play in, who is looking to expand so I'm in talks with her about her taking him on.

It will be better for all of us, it will mean we can cuddle Charlie and Lola without being attacked or having to shut Pumpkin separate, and mean they can come and go out of the shed as they want. And Pumpkin will have some friends more like his personality who he can bang heads with. But I feel sad because things haven't worked out the way I originally wanted :cry:

Gaargh, animals are not supposed to be this stressful :roll:

Last edited:
I really feel for you, Zoobec. We do what we think is for the best and sometimes it goes pear-shaped. It does sound as though you have, potentially, found a new home for him but it's still a heartbreaking decision. x

I am sorry to hear about Pumpkin :cry: I know that you have tried very hard for a very long time to make things work. But it sounds as though the 'best' option is to rehome Pumpkin. Rehoming any Pet is never a decision that most people can make easily and in your case I know it is a very last resort. From what you have described about the prospective new home it sounds as though Pumpkin would have lots of space and maybe he will do better amongst a different herd.

As for animals not being supposed to cause us humans stress...........I dont think they all read that chapter in the 'How to be a Pet' manual !!

Thankyou everyone:love: I feel like I've failed but I think I was trying to attempt the impossible! If I can get him a lovely home and see him happy then I will feel a lot better about it I'm sure.

it sounds really stressful as it is Zoobec & your plans sound really sensible & grounded. Its not failing to identify things are not going well & to put all your goats happiness first. I hope you find him a lovely home x

Oh Zoobec I'm sorry he may be leaving but it does sound like the best solution for all involved.
I'm hoping you'll be able to visit him and see him happy with all his new friends.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It sounds like the best solution to make every goat happy including Pumpkin. Please don't feel guilty, you've done everything possible to give them all the best life possible x

Thankyou everyone:love: I feel like I've failed but I think I was trying to attempt the impossible! If I can get him a lovely home and see him happy then I will feel a lot better about it I'm sure.

Yes, I'm sure you will - and you wouldn't let him go unless you found him the perfect home.

I'm sorry that it's not working out with Pumpkin. I know I would feel the same as you about it and a good part of that would be frustration that I simply wasn't able to make things "work" as I wanted them to. As it is, Pumpkin doesn't sound as though he is altogether happy in his environment and it's also not fair on the others, particularly Lola, to have to bear the brunt of his emotions.

The new home you have mentioned does sound as though it might solve the problem as far as they are all concerned, but I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this issue.

I'm sorry that it's not working out with Pumpkin. I know I would feel the same as you about it and a good part of that would be frustration that I simply wasn't able to make things "work" as I wanted them to. As it is, Pumpkin doesn't sound as though he is altogether happy in his environment and it's also not fair on the others, particularly Lola, to have to bear the brunt of his emotions.

The new home you have mentioned does sound as though it might solve the problem as far as they are all concerned, but I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this issue.

Thankyou Omi :love: I've spoken to the lady this evening and she sounds lovely, she's got 5 other goats all boys, most rescued, and she is so excited to take him on. It sounds like he will fit in really well hopefully. She has 32 acres for them to run riot in, and she says we can go and see him whenever we want. She's got lots of different houses for them to come and go whenever they want. I think he will love it and I'm already feeling better about it all tbh. I'll always think of him when I see the holes in all my trousers at horn height :lol: I'm taking him 26th November so there's more time to get used to the idea.

I don’t know much about goats but this seems the perfect solution for everyone, especially if you can go and visit him. Hope it works out well x

Thankyou everyone :love: after having spoken to her last night and slept on it, I feel relieved really. I'm excited for him to be honest. I think it will be the perfect place for him, he's not keen on barriers and rules, there he will be able to choose his own shed, depending on who he wants to share with, and he won't ever be closed in anywhere. And hopefully the fact that there are goats there of his own personality will be good. It's a shame I'm not part of his new life but he's not a people goat anyway, he couldn't care less who feeds him :lol:

It will be much better for us, and for Pickle, Charlie and Lola too, because they can have the whole shed and come and go as they please during the day.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

He's going to have a wonderful new life there and the fact that you can visit is lovely. As you say, it wil alsol be so much better for Pickle, Charlie and Lola. x

I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for Pumpkin for you. It's a brave decision to allow him to move on with his life to somewhere more suited to his needs. Heart-achingly painful too; I've been there and it still hurts. However, he will hopefully fit right in and have a wondeful new life. And when you visit, you'll get a chance to get to know his new buddies too. And everything will be so much better for Pickle, Charlie, and Lola.

Hugs to you. xxx

Last edited:
Back