• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To get another partner?

Limit

Warren Scout
We've now picked Binkies ashes up, it was heart breaking and we all miss her dearly, but we're coping. I know Monte is okay as a lone bunny, he had been for 6 months when bonding needed a long break, but now that he's had Binky and suddenly gone back to no one I'm feeling bad for him. He is his usual self, eating huge amounts like usual, still binkying and running about. I adopted him however to be company for Binky when I can't be there 24/7 as they live outside. He has Snuffles and we'll be going back to the vets soon to hopefully try a different antibiotics, may also ask for a sample to be taken to the lab but due to spending a huge amount for Binky at the OOH vets (had no insurance for her so all came out of my savings) I'm having to delay the vets a bit.

I'm worried about introducing another rabbit to him if they get the snuffles too and we are also unsure how Binky got bloat but I did think that perhaps it had been from grooming Monte. He gets a lot of mats in his fur from cleaning himself with his snotty nose and I don't always find them straight away to groom them out of his thick coat so I was wondering if this could've caused Binky's blockage. I suppose I'm wondering if it's a good idea, for now it won't be happening as I want to see if we can clear his snuffles or at least reduce it considerably beforehand, but in the long run is it best for him if he's content the way he is? I have been with him a lot more lately, sitting out with him, but he is quite independent and not much of a snuggly bun - which is fine. I just want what's best for him and at the moment I don't know what is the best for him. He enjoyed Binkies company, I know that, he liked the snuggles and grooming but he was incredibly hard to bond. Any advice or thoughts appreciated, I know you don't know Monte but sometimes it's best to hear what other people think as I tend to get myself worked up over things :oops:

As an outside bunny, when you the time is right for you. I'd get him a friend. My snuffles bun didn't pass it on to either of her bonded mates, I think its quite uncommon. Have you thought about usng echinacea to boost Montes immune system whilst youre saving for the vet?

As an outside bunny, when you the time is right for you. I'd get him a friend. My snuffles bun didn't pass it on to either of her bonded mates, I think its quite uncommon. Have you thought about usng echinacea to boost Montes immune system whilst youre saving for the vet?

Yes I thought about it as lots of people on here suggest it, do you know where I can get this from? I think I will get him a friend, sometimes just feels like I need some support in my decisions haha x

Yes I thought about it as lots of people on here suggest it, do you know where I can get this from? I think I will get him a friend, sometimes just feels like I need some support in my decisions haha x

I get a bit confused. PM Mightymax - I'm sure she'll be happy to help

MM gave me this link some time back for echinacea when Lunar had similar problems, though I never used it in the end as her problems later cleared up: https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract/
(original thread here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...r-symptoms-UD-Bordetella-bronchiseptica/page2)

I don't know if it's as useful as giving the extract (I imagine not) but I do regularly include dried coneflower (another name for echinacea) in the mixed dried herbs/forage that I feed the buns each day. It can be difficult to find at a good price sometimes but I get mine here: https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-trea...edom-breaker-naturals-coneflower-150g-p-10784
I usually buy a good few bags at a time to save on postage (you get free delivery if you spend £29 so I try to save and buy in bulk)

I don't know a lot about snuffles but would it work to try to find him another parter who already has snuffles? You could try asking some rescues if they have any rabbits who have it? I'm not sure if that would be a good idea or a bad one so check with someone more knowlegable first. It's just a thought :) Though whether or not they would be a match is possibly the bigger problem..

I think that many rabbits have Snuffles, although some of them exhibit symptoms only in times of stress. I am not convinced that it's a foregone conclusion that it would be easily transmitted to another rabbit and certainly I haven't found that to be the case.

As Monte lives outside I would certainly consider getting another partner for him, not only for the company that he would enjoy but also as it will keep him warm and snug during cold nights. Also just because it was difficult to bond him with Binky, that situation could be completely different with another rabbit.

MM gave me this link some time back for echinacea when Lunar had similar problems, though I never used it in the end as her problems later cleared up: https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract/
(original thread here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...r-symptoms-UD-Bordetella-bronchiseptica/page2)

I don't know if it's as useful as giving the extract (I imagine not) but I do regularly include dried coneflower (another name for echinacea) in the mixed dried herbs/forage that I feed the buns each day. It can be difficult to find at a good price sometimes but I get mine here: https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-trea...edom-breaker-naturals-coneflower-150g-p-10784
I usually buy a good few bags at a time to save on postage (you get free delivery if you spend £29 so I try to save and buy in bulk)

I don't know a lot about snuffles but would it work to try to find him another parter who already has snuffles? You could try asking some rescues if they have any rabbits who have it? I'm not sure if that would be a good idea or a bad one so check with someone more knowlegable first. It's just a thought :) Though whether or not they would be a match is possibly the bigger problem..

Thank you so much for the links will have a look into them! Yes will have a look to see if that's a good idea or not, will try to get his snuffles under control first and then talk to some rescues :) x

I think that many rabbits have Snuffles, although some of them exhibit symptoms only in times of stress. I am not convinced that it's a foregone conclusion that it would be easily transmitted to another rabbit and certainly I haven't found that to be the case.

As Monte lives outside I would certainly consider getting another partner for him, not only for the company that he would enjoy but also as it will keep him warm and snug during cold nights. Also just because it was difficult to bond him with Binky, that situation could be completely different with another rabbit.

I don't think it's easily transmitted at all, which is strange as I'm taking a course for animal care and management at college and we were told that it was easily spread and contagious.

I understand that it might be easier, I hope it will be! Really don't want as much stress as last time :D We are considering it, slowly leaning more towards wanting to search the rescues again.. x

Back