• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
Sable is on Metacam permanently. Neighbour said running very low so have emailed Anton vets to ask if they could post a bottle.
I am wondering whether I should have asked for prescription and then bought on-line as I am sure it would be cheaper. Are most vets willing to do this? How do you actually get the script to the company?

I've bought panacur from places that sell pet meds online but didn't need a prescription. I'm guessing you'd need to upload the prescription. I'm sure it would be cheaper but it also depends how much your vet charges for issuing a prescription .

Where I work its £14.50 for a written prescription then the charge on websites such as Vet Uk for Metacam is quite cheap, so yes it may be cheaper to get a prescription and you can generally get one for 6 months worth of medication. I would have thought most vets would be happy to do this for long term medication. I think most companies require the prescription to be posted/emailed out to them but could be wrong?

I've bought panacur from places that sell pet meds online but didn't need a prescription. I'm guessing you'd need to upload the prescription. I'm sure it would be cheaper but it also depends how much your vet charges for issuing a prescription .

Yes. I wondered about that, too.

How much do Antons charge for a 180ml bottle? (The huge one)

I used to get a prescription (£15 I think) then buy online at Viovet (£25ish) as it was much cheaper. However my local vets sell the 180ml bottles for £32 so I just get them there now. I think Antons used to charge a lot lot more which is why I bought the prescription and ordered myself.

Most vets will give you a prescription.

I get a prescription for £13.something.. and the vets email it to me and I then email it to vet uk where I buy the metacam. They can also post to me and then I post to vet uk but email is quicker.

How much do Antons charge for a 180ml bottle? (The huge one)

I used to get a prescription (£15 I think) then buy online at Viovet (£25ish) as it was much cheaper. However my local vets sell the 180ml bottles for £32 so I just get them there now. I think Antons used to charge a lot lot more which is why I bought the prescription and ordered myself.

Yes, I suspected I'd be paying well over the odds at Anton.
Have asked them to post a bottle, just to give me chance or get organised.

Sable is on Metacam permanently. Neighbour said running very low so have emailed Anton vets to ask if they could post a bottle.
I am wondering whether I should have asked for prescription and then bought on-line as I am sure it would be cheaper. Are most vets willing to do this? How do you actually get the script to the company?

Hi Babsie

I have prescriptions for Metacam (I thought it was for yourself at first!) as it's so much cheaper than buying from the vet.

VetUK as Liz has said is a good place. I've also used others.

Some companies require the prescription to be sent by post, and others will accept a scan (I believe VetUK accepted a scan)

But yes, get some in the meantime then perhaps sort out a running prescription. I get 'two' bottles of Metacam out of each prescription so really good value :)

I've just heard back from Anton. I was hoping they would be able to post a bottle to me, but no - someone would have to collect. How on earth can I ask a neighbour to drive a round trip of 25 miles. I have asked if I can have a prescription, then, so I can order on-line. Will see what they say - otherwise I'm stuck. Already having an horrific couple of days with pain and now this has just about put the tin hat on it!

I'm glad you're sorted now. :)

By law, vets are required to give you a prescription if you ask; they can't force you to buy the meds from them.

I've always taken a photo of the prescription on my phone and uploaded it to the site I'm buying from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm glad you're sorted now. :)

By law, vets are required to give you a prescription if you ask; they can't force you to buy the meds from them.

I've always taken a photo of the prescription on my phone and uploaded it to the site I'm buying from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, I am going to look into that - but at least I'll be getting a bottle.

Back