PDA

View Full Version : Metacam

Babsie
02-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Sable is on Metacam permanently. Neighbour said running very low so have emailed Anton vets to ask if they could post a bottle.
I am wondering whether I should have asked for prescription and then bought on-line as I am sure it would be cheaper. Are most vets willing to do this? How do you actually get the script to the company?

joey&boo
02-11-2017, 01:14 PM
I've bought panacur from places that sell pet meds online but didn't need a prescription. I'm guessing you'd need to upload the prescription. I'm sure it would be cheaper but it also depends how much your vet charges for issuing a prescription .

Liz47
02-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Where I work its 14.50 for a written prescription then the charge on websites such as Vet Uk for Metacam is quite cheap, so yes it may be cheaper to get a prescription and you can generally get one for 6 months worth of medication. I would have thought most vets would be happy to do this for long term medication. I think most companies require the prescription to be posted/emailed out to them but could be wrong?

Babsie
02-11-2017, 01:17 PM
I've bought panacur from places that sell pet meds online but didn't need a prescription. I'm guessing you'd need to upload the prescription. I'm sure it would be cheaper but it also depends how much your vet charges for issuing a prescription .

Yes. I wondered about that, too.

catherine09
02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
How much do Antons charge for a 180ml bottle? (The huge one)

I used to get a prescription (15 I think) then buy online at Viovet (25ish) as it was much cheaper. However my local vets sell the 180ml bottles for 32 so I just get them there now. I think Antons used to charge a lot lot more which is why I bought the prescription and ordered myself.

Jack's-Jane
02-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I buy my Metacam from AnimedDirect, just had some delivered actually

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/home/contact

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions/metacam-15mgml-oral-suspension-for-dogs-10ml.html?q=metacam+dog

The prescription can either be emailed or posted to them.There is an online Prescription Form that your Vet can use

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/media_files/Animed_online_prescription.pdf

biscandmatt1
02-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Most vets will give you a prescription.

I get a prescription for 13.something.. and the vets email it to me and I then email it to vet uk where I buy the metacam. They can also post to me and then I post to vet uk but email is quicker.

Babsie
02-11-2017, 03:08 PM
How much do Antons charge for a 180ml bottle? (The huge one)

I used to get a prescription (15 I think) then buy online at Viovet (25ish) as it was much cheaper. However my local vets sell the 180ml bottles for 32 so I just get them there now. I think Antons used to charge a lot lot more which is why I bought the prescription and ordered myself.

Yes, I suspected I'd be paying well over the odds at Anton.
Have asked them to post a bottle, just to give me chance or get organised.

MightyMax
02-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Sable is on Metacam permanently. Neighbour said running very low so have emailed Anton vets to ask if they could post a bottle.
I am wondering whether I should have asked for prescription and then bought on-line as I am sure it would be cheaper. Are most vets willing to do this? How do you actually get the script to the company?

Hi Babsie

I have prescriptions for Metacam (I thought it was for yourself at first!) as it's so much cheaper than buying from the vet.

VetUK as Liz has said is a good place. I've also used others.

Some companies require the prescription to be sent by post, and others will accept a scan (I believe VetUK accepted a scan)

But yes, get some in the meantime then perhaps sort out a running prescription. I get 'two' bottles of Metacam out of each prescription so really good value :)

Babsie
02-11-2017, 04:49 PM
I've just heard back from Anton. I was hoping they would be able to post a bottle to me, but no - someone would have to collect. How on earth can I ask a neighbour to drive a round trip of 25 miles. I have asked if I can have a prescription, then, so I can order on-line. Will see what they say - otherwise I'm stuck. Already having an horrific couple of days with pain and now this has just about put the tin hat on it!

Babsie
02-11-2017, 06:32 PM
They are posting a bottle tomorrow!

MightyMax
02-11-2017, 07:19 PM
They are posting a bottle tomorrow!

Thank goodness for that! :)

KarenM
02-11-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm glad you're sorted now. :)

By law, vets are required to give you a prescription if you ask; they can't force you to buy the meds from them.

I've always taken a photo of the prescription on my phone and uploaded it to the site I'm buying from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Babsie
04-11-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you're sorted now. :)

By law, vets are required to give you a prescription if you ask; they can't force you to buy the meds from them.

I've always taken a photo of the prescription on my phone and uploaded it to the site I'm buying from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, I am going to look into that - but at least I'll be getting a bottle.