• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Patch At Base Of Ear

SJ_R

Mama Doe
Hi all! So a little bit ago this evening, I was petting Amy when I felt behind her right ear a patch of exposed skin. I’ll include pictures, but it’s about an inch big, smooth, pink, with no apparent irritation, swelling, or wound. I can touch it easily with no pain. I can’t see any mites or fleas. Amy seems perfectly normal otherwise, slightly naughty and very petted. No increased scratching or issues with her ears. She is a lop, and spayed, if either of that makes a difference.

I should say that last Friday she got vaccinated against RVHD2 (she got her jab for RVHD1 and myxi in January); she took it fine, I think she was more annoyed by getting her nails clipped at the time. I was told that she may develop a lump at the injection site, but she hasn’t, with no other obvious side effects. If anything she got a bit more active than normal.

She was checked over by the vet too, and neither of us noticed it, or anything I can think that could cause it, including her ears, at the time; I’m not entirely certain when it developed. I was petting her Monday and never noticed, and she was being aloof yesterday. It may have happened overnight.

Is this a weird infection, a parasite, or a side effect from the vaccine? How worried should I be? I probably won’t be able to get an appointment until next week, unless it’s an emergency.

48E06C21-BB2E-4A09-8CA8-CE3372C9A219.jpeg

It looks fine to me in the photo - pink and smooth - maybe due to moulting. Is there a similar patch on the other ear? If there are no lumps, bumps, or other irregularities, I would just keep an eye on it and the fur should grow back.

It looks fine to me in the photo - pink and smooth - maybe due to moulting. Is there a similar patch on the other ear? If there are no lumps, bumps, or other irregularities, I would just keep an eye on it and the fur should grow back.

Nope, just under her right ear so far! I did wonder if it could be moulting, because she seems to shed at odd times of the year, but she’s four and never done this before. Could it be dry skin?

My Oliver had this, and his ear looked the exact same. It was the start of an ear infection. Vet said this is a very early sign so I would defo get her ears looked at more closely. Lops are more prone to ear infections unfortunately, both my lops had them. But if caught early can defo be treated successfully.

Hi all! So a little bit ago this evening, I was petting Amy when I felt behind her right ear a patch of exposed skin. I’ll include pictures, but it’s about an inch big, smooth, pink, with no apparent irritation, swelling, or wound. I can touch it easily with no pain. I can’t see any mites or fleas. Amy seems perfectly normal otherwise, slightly naughty and very petted. No increased scratching or issues with her ears. She is a lop, and spayed, if either of that makes a difference.

I should say that last Friday she got vaccinated against RVHD2 (she got her jab for RVHD1 and myxi in January); she took it fine, I think she was more annoyed by getting her nails clipped at the time. I was told that she may develop a lump at the injection site, but she hasn’t, with no other obvious side effects. If anything she got a bit more active than normal.

She was checked over by the vet too, and neither of us noticed it, or anything I can think that could cause it, including her ears, at the time; I’m not entirely certain when it developed. I was petting her Monday and never noticed, and she was being aloof yesterday. It may have happened overnight.

Is this a weird infection, a parasite, or a side effect from the vaccine? How worried should I be? I probably won’t be able to get an appointment until next week, unless it’s an emergency.

I'd get the Vet to take a look in her ear as the skin does at the base look a bit inflamed. As Nicky has mentioned this can sometimes be indicative of the start of an ear infection.

I have to say I totally agree with Nicky. This has been my experience too of rabbits with ear problems.

It may be that the vet looks in the ear with an otoscope and sees nothing, as something might be going on deeper inside. You can discuss this with your vet x

Mouseypie had a balding ear a while back - I thought it was just Boo overgrooming it but she had a wee ear infection. To this day I assumed it was Boos grooming that made it bald but I now see that maybe not. I hope Hector is ok x

Mouseypie had a balding ear a while back - I thought it was just Boo overgrooming it but she had a wee ear infection. To this day I assumed it was Boos grooming that made it bald but I now see that maybe not. I hope Hector is ok x

It may well have been as sometimes a companion Rabbit will be able to smell the infection and thus pay a lot of attention to the effected ear of his/her friend xx

Ah yes I remember now - interesting :)

Back