• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Occasionally off balance

Natalie

Warren Scout
I’m thinking of taking Caramel to the vets again as I have noticed that every now and then she seems to go very slightly off balance. It’s nothing dramatic and she seems fine otherwise, she’s eating, pooping behaving as normal except for these brief moments when she just seems to wobble very slightly.

Anyone got any experience of this? Could it be an ear infection maybe?

Thanks - Natalie :)

I’m thinking of taking Caramel to the vets again as I have noticed that every now and then she seems to go very slightly off balance. It’s nothing dramatic and she seems fine otherwise, she’s eating, pooping behaving as normal except for these brief moments when she just seems to wobble very slightly.

There are several possible causes for 'balance problems' and a thorough examination by a Rabbit savvy Vet is the best way to ascertain exactly what is going on. I wont post various links to references to possible causes as all that will do is stress you out even more ! So I think you are right to want to get Caramel checked over again.

Hope all goes well xx

Hi Natalie

Sorry to hear about Caramel. Yes you are right, it can be an ear infection but there can also be other causes such as E.Cuniculi.

There is some info here, and if you scroll down it gives you the possible reasons:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

It's good to nip these things in the bud, and you are wise to be vigilant :)

Glad you're going to get a vet to examine her. My Tan, who is eight and a half, has Arthritis and will occasionally wobble, especially when she first gets up on her feet. Otherwise she runs and hops about as normal.

Appointment made. Taking her at 6pm tomorrow. The vet practice we’re with has branches all over the place, so I’ve opted to take Caramel to the branch where there’s a vet with the Exotic Pets licence. It’s not the one we usually go to but I think this vet will be the most rabbit savvy. Also in her bio it says she has numerous rabbits :)

Appointment made. Taking her at 6pm tomorrow. The vet practice we’re with has branches all over the place, so I’ve opted to take Caramel to the branch where there’s a vet with the Exotic Pets licence. It’s not the one we usually go to but I think this vet will be the most rabbit savvy. Also in her bio it says she has numerous rabbits :)

That sounds to be a good plan !!

Glad you're going to get a vet to examine her. My Tan, who is eight and a half, has Arthritis and will occasionally wobble, especially when she first gets up on her feet. Otherwise she runs and hops about as normal.

Thanks Omi, I really hope it’s just an age thing and nothing more serious. At least she’s eating and pooping normally.

Good, your vet sounds trustworthy :)

Had a lovely long chat with the vet. Since making the appointment I have to say that I didn't see any further wobble episodes and Caramel was behaving completely normally. So after the vet examined her and with her subsequent normal behaviour in mind, it was decided to just keep an eye on her and if there were any further off balance incidents, to ring up for the 28 day worming meds (against EC). So far so good. She seems absolutely fine.

She was weighed, had her tummy and heart listened to, ears and teeth checked and back feet checked. All good :)

She was a very good girl at the vets :love:

Oh and we also had a quick chat about the possibility of bonding, and this vet too thought that maybe she'd be fine to continue as a single bunny. She wasn't at all in favour of me handing Caramel over to be bonded elsewhere, she thought that would be very stressful for Caramel. I know that I would find it stressful having to leave her with someone else!

But I don't think that I can manage bonding myself at this moment in time as we have had, and are having, a very difficult time with our beautiful rescue doggies, including having to have our just over 17 year old PTS a few weeks back which absolutely broke my heart, and now another of our doggies has been diagnosed with a mast cell tumour. He's has just had one operation and will probably need another with possibly further treatment. So now would not be a good time for us to embark on bonding. I'm not writing it off altogether though, just not something I can sort out at the moment.

Meanwhile I do spend a lot of time with Caramel, and she really does enjoy being stroked and snuggled :) I'm patiently waiting for some great stuff to be delivered from MPH for Caramel which will further enhance her living space, and I'm quite keen to grow some indoor grass for her. I saw a lovely image on Pinterest of grass grown in one of those solid plastic dog beds, I really would love to do that for Caramel. Just not sure what sort of soil to use for the grass seed. Every time we go to a garden centre for soil they have such a vast selection of different sorts with different stuff in them and I don't know which ones are safe for bunnies! Just got to get my head around all of that, but definitely fancy giving the indoor grass growing a try. AND growing my own herbs :)

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted if anything further develops.

Natalie :)

Had a lovely long chat with the vet. Since making the appointment I have to say that I didn't see any further wobble episodes and Caramel was behaving completely normally. So after the vet examined her and with her subsequent normal behaviour in mind, it was decided to just keep an eye on her and if there were any further off balance incidents, to ring up for the 28 day worming meds (against EC). So far so good. She seems absolutely fine.

She was weighed, had her tummy and heart listened to, ears and teeth checked and back feet checked. All good :)

Oh and we also had a quick chat about the possibility of bonding, and this vet too thought that maybe she'd be fine to continue as a single bunny. She wasn't at all in favour of me handing Caramel over to be bonded elsewhere, she thought that would be very stressful for Caramel. I know that I would find it stressful having to leave her with someone else!

But I don't think that I can manage bonding myself at this moment in time as we have had, and are having, a very difficult time with our beautiful rescue doggies, including having to have our just over 17 year old PTS a few weeks back which absolutely broke my heart, and now another of our doggies has been diagnosed with a mast cell tumour. He's has just had one operation and will probably need another with possibly further treatment. So now would not be a good time for us to embark on bonding. I'm not writing it off altogether though, just not something I can sort out at the moment.

Meanwhile I do spend a lot of time with Caramel, and she really does enjoy being stroked and snuggled :) I'm patiently waiting for some great stuff to be delivered from MPH for Caramel which will further enhance her living space, and I'm quite keen to grow some indoor grass for her. I saw a lovely image on Pinterest of grass grown in one of those solid plastic dog beds, I really would love to do that for Caramel. Just not sure what sort of soil to use for the grass seed. Every time we go to a garden centre for soil they have such a vast selection of different sorts with different stuff in them and I don't know which ones are safe for bunnies! Just got to get my head around all of that, but definitely fancy giving the indoor grass growing a try. AND growing my own herbs :)

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted if anything further develops.

I am glad to hear that Caramel appears to be doing OK now and I can completely understand why you need to put any thoughts about bonding her on hold for the time being.

I am very sorry that you have recently lost one of you dogs and that another has become poorly too. I really hope that his treatment will be successful xx

I'm glad that Caramel got on well at the vets and also that she seems to have lost her "wobble". I also wouldn't want to hand any of my rabbits over for someone else to bond and I can understand that attempting it yourself at the moment is not an option.

I'm sorry to hear about both your rescue dogs :( I hope that the poorly one responds well to his treatment. Sending lots of hugs.

Hi Natalie :)

I am pleased to hear that Caramel is doing OK :) I agree that bonding should be put on the back burner for the moment.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dogs though .. hugs xx

Back