• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fireworks!

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I couldn't see another thread on the subject!

I'm getting so worried about the impending fireworks, there was even a few bangs already last night. My dh and I have been discussing the steps we can take to protect our 12 buns, such as covering the windows and providing hiding places (probably a cardboard box stuffed with hay).

Obviously the advice is to move them indoors if you can, but when you have 12, it's just not practical. I feel like the most vulnerable is Blossom as she is in more exposed accommodation and is alone. I could make room for her inside, but it won't be a large space. Would she be more stressed being moved inside temporarily? Also, as it's never just the one night, we would be constantly bringing her in or keeping her in for days! Is it best to leave her be?

Anything we might not have considered?

Thanks x

Mine have never bothered about the bangs- there were a few last night. I have in the past watched them from my window and they are totally unphased by them, fortunately! Hope yours are the same. We have never had them next door though. It's the same with thunder!

Thanks Tb, I really hope that's the case and it's me worrying more than they will be. We've acquired a few since last year, so I'm not sure how they might react.

There's an organised display very near here on Thursday and our neighbours do like a party, so I'm hoping they don't have any x

I don't think I would bring any of them inside at this time of the year, especially as it's getting colder at nights outside now.

I have to say that my experience is the same as tonibun's. My rabbits are not frightened at all by bangs, whether they be fireworks, thunder, farm machinery or anything else. They are inside a shed at night though and so won't be able to experience bright flashes. I think it's possible that dogs are more upset by fireworks than rabbits.

As the "firework season" is usually gradual in its onset, I would monitor how they react when it's just a few bangs and then maybe take measures if you need to. Several of your rabbits have been with you in previous Oct/Nov periods, so you will know how they have reacted previously.

If it does seem that they are frightened, I think covering windows and giving them a hidey-hole (box + hay) would be kind.

Tbh mine get spooked much more sometimes if I walk past them unexpectedly carrying a large object :lol:

Cat not to be seen, dog shivering under the couch - but none of my rabbits ever cared about noise like fireworks, just give them a treat when it gets loud and you're up anyway. If you have a nervous one (all bunnys are different) a hidy house will be enough for most to cope with that.
Imho changing their location or environment is actually more stress.
Moving them from cold weather to warm rooms can cause problems, I wouldn't do that.

Loud noises aren't a thread for rabbits, and they learn that quickly - quiet rustling sounds behind them are a different matter. I have to chase my buck away when working with chainsaw, hammer, ax or power tools.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

Hopefully they'll be just fine and I suspected that trying to bring anyone in was a bit of a non starter. Can't help but worry though :?

:lol: at having to chase them away Preitler. Omi, I've definitely experienced similar :D! x

If your bunnies are scared you can use Pet Remedy which is totally safe for bunnies, we use it ourselves at various times throughout the year when we think they might benefit from a few naturally relaxing herbs (especially spring humping season!).

We sell it at Barks & Bunnies (my shop) but it's available elsewhere too :)

We have two dogs as well, one couldn't care less about fireworks but the other isn't such a fan so we use the Pet Remedy for her too.

Hope everyones bunnies are ok out there, it's such a strange time of year with all the bangs :/

https://barksandbunnies.co.uk/collections/firework-season-for-dogs-rabbits/products/pet-remedy-200ml-calming-spray

Another vote for Pet Remedy. I use it year round to help control Daphne's humping....

However spraying a little onto a soft cloth then wiping over buns works too. You can also spray it onto any blankets they have.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Another vote for Pet Remedy. I use it year round to help control Daphne's humping....

However spraying a little onto a soft cloth then wiping over buns works too. You can also spray it onto any blankets they have.

They have wipes now as well in individual sachets :) Hi by the way, give those buns a hug from us :wave:

They have wipes now as well in individual sachets :) Hi by the way, give those buns a hug from us :wave:
Hi :) The buns send nose nudges x

I use the wipes for my gerbil - he builds his nest around it. So cute.

Back