• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

French Lop questions.

jredk04

Warren Scout
Hi

I’ve been told that my bun is ‘probably’ a French lop. Now, he’s supposed to be about a year old. Which would mean that he’s too small to be one. Or, he is a French lop and is indeed younger than we think.

So, either way, Jack’s here to stay. I’ve met a French lop – fully grown and I know what size to expect. I also know that their requirements differ from your averaged sized rabbit.
Does anyone know of any good websites or could point me in the right direction of some more info dedicated to this breed? (I’ve read RR article “Caring for Large/Giant Rabbit Breeds”)
Jack has been with us nearly a week. I’m not going to rush anything and he’s settling in nicely; he is building up his confidence in and out of his cage and is eating well.

Questions I’m thinking at the moment include:
- how much handling does Jack need on a daily basis? “Bigger bunnies need to be paid a lot of attention and handled well from a young age, otherwise you can have "HUGE" problems if you, for example, need to pick them up to examine them or give them medicine if unwell”. What is the definition of handling?
- I’ve started picking up Jack from the floor onto my knees in a cuddle/embrace style so as not to actually ‘lift’ and to minimise stress levels – he seems okish with this although he’s ‘nibbling’. Should I continue with the softly softly approach or should I just get stuck in? he is very happy being stroked and will come to you for attention.
- Housing – for the foreseeable future, he lives in a dog crate 42inch by 30ish. With supervised access to a bunny proof room. Obviously I don’t want to rush things but having read “A rabbit proofed room of a house, and a nice big dog basket to sleep in...” – I’m now wondering when this transition should be made.

In general, I think things are fine as I’ll change his accommodation requirements as he grows, I just want to be well up on the research and information about French lops before it’s all a bit too late (re: handling).
Any pointers, especially from those that own French lops would be really useful. Thanks in advance.

Julie
(I know that French lops should be owned by those with more rabbit experience than myself but unfortunately we just clicked. However, I am committed to doing the best I can for him – hence this post!).

For handling things like looking in his ears, lifting him so you can check under his tail is clean, turning his head gently to one side to look in his eye, looking at his teeth and lifting paws (as if you need to cut nails) are all very useful things to get a rabbit used to. That goes for every rabbit not just giant ones :D

I think your gently gently approach to picking up is a good way to go that way both you and him can build up your confidence slowly.

On the living accomodation letting him have supervised play times at first is a good idea so you can check out whether you missed anythinng in your rabbit proofing. You'll also want to start on litter tray training. When your happy he's not going to get into any trouble then you can just leave the cage door open for him to come and go as he pleases. You might want to get a stairgate for the room so you can have the door open and see what he's up too.

Tam

french lops

hi there :wave:

i have a french lop called Baby( ironic). we got her when she was 8 wks old and she is now 2 1/2 yrs. :bunny:

I love all my darlings (i have 3 other buns) but french lops are fab.

Baby is massive, about 1 and 1/2 stone but not overweight. when she lays on her tummy she is much longer than the bottom of a door. Baby just commands attention and can be a force to be reckoned with (in a good way). She lives in her own bedroom with her partner Bazil. I think because of her size & that she is used to getting her own way then she is very bossy and quite a madam. :lol:

She is so loving & its ace seeing her bound around all over. She was more loving before we got her partner Bazil to the point where she would lick/groom us, lay with us etc. but as we were warned this did reduce dramatically once she was bonded.

We do not regret bonding her as we believe it was the right thing to do. Because she was like a child to us we were concerned that she was lonely when we were at work so we decided to get her a friend however i do miss that real closeness that we had.

My other 3 buns were all rescue cases, Baby was the only one to come from a recognised french lop breeder. I would definately recommend this breed to anyone. They are very friendly, loving and mine is extremely lazy.

If you want to know anything in particular let me know, enjoy xxxx :D

Julie

Many congrats, but beware - frenchies have a way of getting under your skin. :D

Have you tried the head stroke/scratch just in front of the crown of fur? It's a giggle to see big, butch frenchies flat out - eyes closed - in bliss; look for the disapproving glare when you stop. Work front to back, it mimics grooming.

I'm sure Jack will be fine - your own willingness to look for advice is the surest sign of that.

Good luck.
John

Hi there,

I have a french lop, Blueberry. I also got her from a breeder at 10 weeks old, she is still just a baby really at 5 months but already bigger than my last rabbit!

I'll pm you the lady's website as she has lots of french lop info.

Blue doesn't particually like been picked up -not many bunnies do, but I scoop her up into my arms like a baby for bottom checking -this is what she was used to tho. For ear, teeth and eye checks she quite happily sits there! I often have to clean her eyes but again she just sits there, combine it with cheek rubs and dried blueberries and I can't go wrong!!

Blueberry is in no way lazy! maybe as she is still young?! In previous posts I have told of her jumping! -halfway up the wall, dining room table, on top of the tv :?, out of her run,squeezing between small spaces you wouldn't think she could fit through!!. . . . . .

She's not a licky bunny, but she'll lick my clothes or the carpet next to me :roll: I'd describe her as laid back tho.

At the mo she lives in a firplast cage extended with pws greenline panels. I'm going to change to a large dog crate quite soon! She is in during the day as I have children in the house during the day, but she's out mornings, evenings and most of the weekends. May review this as she gets older.

Hope some of this helps.

beck said:
She's not a licky bunny, but she'll lick my clothes or the carpet next to me :roll:

Aww, in bunny language that means she really likes you but because your her servant it wouldn't be proper etticate to groom you directly :D

Tam

Tamsin said:
beck said:
She's not a licky bunny, but she'll lick my clothes or the carpet next to me :roll:

Aww, in bunny language that means she really likes you but because your her servant it wouldn't be proper etticate to groom you directly :D

Tam

Yep. That sounds about the order of things! :roll: :lol:

Can you believe! :shock: As I wrote that she jumped up onto the armchar next to me -nipped me -then put her head down for a nose rub! :shock: -she usually totally ignores me when I'm on the computer!!

Knows she's been talked about and put me in my place. :lol:

thanks for your replies.

cheers tamsin for "For handling things like looking in his ears, lifting him so you can check under his tail is clean, turning his head gently to one side to look in his eye, looking at his teeth and lifting paws (as if you need to cut nails) are all very useful things to get a rabbit used to. That goes for every rabbit not just giant ones".

another question i have.... When I was at the rescue and we decided that Jack was the one. I spent some time with him there to make sure i was confident with handling him. Having read up on how important it is to check your bun's bum - i asked her to show me how to look at his bits and pieces. Well, eerrm, how shall i put this. we picked him up so his paws are on my chest and facing me and then we held the scruff of his neck and pulled him downwards so his underneath was exposed. Are you all crying YIKES? i'm not convinced that this is indeed bunny friendly?? is this practice normal? is there a better way? should i cradle him like a baby as mentioned beck mentions?

John - yes, he loves his head stroking. and i did wonder why he glares at me as i leave him and close his door - i though i was leaving him 'in peace'!

As long as the bunnies weight isn't supported on the scruff thats ok. I can't imagine its to easy for a fully grown french lop though! You may find cradling like a baby is easier. You can also tip him on his side on your knee with an arm supporting his back to look, a sort of half cradling baby position as some buns don't like being upside down.

Tam

Tamsin said:
beck said:

Tam

Mubby licks me allllllllll the time!!

he sits for ages licking my neck and tip of my nose !! :lol:

Back