• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

That dreaded situation - left with one rabbit

Bess&George

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

I now find myself in the situation I have dreaded for the past five years since the beginning of my rabbit ownership; I am left with just one if not elderly fairly mature rabbit.

George and Bess came from a rescue, and sadly we had to let Bess go recently after months of ill health.
We're left with Bess's son, George, who now lives alone outside. My husband is adamant that we should not get another rabbit to keep him company as we'd just end up with an endless cycle of rabbits. I do agree with him, to some extent at least, as Bess was my soul bunny, she was such a loving gentle creature, and for me the joy in rabbit ownership has gone with her. Also for practical reasons I am reluctant to get another rabbit, George is almost 6 and if you get another rabbit of similar age and life expectancy, you would not be able to insure them. Over the years I have claimed probably £3000 in insurance, and would not go without one.

Moving George indoors is also not an option. Even if we overlook the fact the we haven't got much space and George is very destructive (he used to live indoors) he really isn't a people's bunny. He tolerates me as his food source but he doesn't particularly like being stroked or spending time with any of us, not even now that he's a lone bunny. I always (secretly) wished that Bess would be the rabbit we'd be left with in the end, she loved spending time with us and used to come and sit in the living room with us when we were watching tv when they lived indoors, whereas George stayed away, so moving her back indoors would have been a natural choice.

But most importantly, the main reason I decided to move the rabbits outside a couple of years ago was that George was always sneezing and snotty when living indoors. I'm not sure what it was, dust, snuffles, central heating or just stress of having to live so close to people, but he was always on and off antibiotics due to poor health. But once he moved outside he was instantly better and hasn't even sneezed since and just loves living outside.

So I'm at loss with what I should do with him. My husband thinks we should rehome him but I'm quite reluctant to burden the already overstretched rescues. I imagine a 6 year old large REW who doesn't like people that much would be hard to rehome.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard of some rescues offering bunnies for long-term fostering for this exact situation, but don't know who actually does that. We're based in London in case anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you for reading, sorry it's so long.

Hello everyone,

I now find myself in the situation I have dreaded for the past five years since the beginning of my rabbit ownership; I am left with just one if not elderly fairly mature rabbit.

George and Bess came from a rescue, and sadly we had to let Bess go recently after months of ill health.
We're left with Bess's son, George, who now lives alone outside. My husband is adamant that we should not get another rabbit to keep him company as we'd just end up with an endless cycle of rabbits. I do agree with him, to some extent at least, as Bess was my soul bunny, she was such a loving gentle creature, and for me the joy in rabbit ownership has gone with her. Also for practical reasons I am reluctant to get another rabbit, George is almost 6 and if you get another rabbit of similar age and life expectancy, you would not be able to insure them. Over the years I have claimed probably £3000 in insurance, and would not go without one.

Moving George indoors is also not an option. Even if we overlook the fact the we haven't got much space and George is very destructive (he used to live indoors) he really isn't a people's bunny. He tolerates me as his food source but he doesn't particularly like being stroked or spending time with any of us, not even now that he's a lone bunny. I always (secretly) wished that Bess would be the rabbit we'd be left with in the end, she loved spending time with us and used to come and sit in the living room with us when we were watching tv when they lived indoors, whereas George stayed away, so moving her back indoors would have been a natural choice.

But most importantly, the main reason I decided to move the rabbits outside a couple of years ago was that George was always sneezing and snotty when living indoors. I'm not sure what it was, dust, snuffles, central heating or just stress of having to live so close to people, but he was always on and off antibiotics due to poor health. But once he moved outside he was instantly better and hasn't even sneezed since and just loves living outside.

So I'm at loss with what I should do with him. My husband thinks we should rehome him but I'm quite reluctant to burden the already overstretched rescues. I imagine a 6 year old large REW who doesn't like people that much would be hard to rehome.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard of some rescues offering bunnies for long-term fostering for this exact situation, but don't know who actually does that. We're based in London in case anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you for reading, sorry it's so long.

Hi there :)

I think you summed up your situation in these words:

Bess was my soul bunny, she was such a loving gentle creature, and for me the joy in rabbit ownership has gone with her

If you no longer have joy in keeping rabbits, then the only possibility I can see is rehoming George. Not necessarily to a Rescue, but perhaps advertised to a private home through this website:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

I don't think being a 6 year old large REW will be against him - there are always people looking for rabbits to pair up with their own. I've paired up and rehomed loads of rabbits in London with success :)

Yes, I've been left in a similar position. I've very recently had to have Bobby pts at 10, leaving his lonely 'wife' Sable alone. They had been together since kits and had an extremely strong bond. My intention had been to have new housing made for them but events took over and now I have been confined to bed for 3 weeks with suspected sciatica or possible damage to a previously broken hip. Neighbours have been very kindly feeding Sable but I haven't even been able to get outside to spend time with her and obviously the situation can't continue. It is my biggest worry that she is on her own and I'm at a loss as to what to do about her. Sorry for the ramble ... I really just wanted to say that I understand your predicament.

Thank you both for your replies.

That's encouraging Mighty Max, I assumed that due to his age and looks George would be impossible to rehome. When I first got him and his mum they had been in the rescue for quite some time because people were overlooking them for being REWs. Worth giving it a try I think!!

Babsie so sorry to hear that you're in this same situation and on top of that having to deal with health issues as well! Glad to hear your neighbours have been helping out but it's such a tough situation. I try and spend time with George even if my company is probably unwanted, but it's so hard seeing him on his own. I hope you feel better soon!

That's encouraging Mighty Max, I assumed that due to his age and looks George would be impossible to rehome. When I first got him and his mum they had been in the rescue for quite some time because people were overlooking them for being REWs. Worth giving it a try I think!!

Babsie so sorry to hear that you're in this same situation and on top of that having to deal with health issues as well! Glad to hear your neighbours have been helping out but it's such a tough situation. I try and spend time with George even if my company is probably unwanted, but it's so hard seeing him on his own. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you. Don't know why I chose to have a moan about my physical problems - sorry - I think it's because I feel so guilty about Sable and that I should be looking for another rabbit to bond with her but just can't.

In Rescue we often find people are looking for older bunnies, especially single ones, to pair up when they have lost one of their own :)

Babsie it's so hard seeing him on his own as it is, can't imagine what it's like to have ongoing physical issues on top of that. George looks so lonely, I try and spend time with him and stroke him but it's not the same as having a constant bunny companion, it's not like I can sleep in his kennel with him at night!

Tabithakat and MightyMax that's really encouraging. I really hope I can find someone to take George, he's still only 5 and deserves to spend the rest of his days with another bunny.

Back