• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I thought rabbits were supposed to poo in one place?!

Glingle

Warren Veteran
My first rabbit Smudge always used her litter tray, or when free ranging in the garden would go down the side of the house. My next bunnies Flip and Flop would use two litter trays in their hutch. When Flip passed away we got Bramble. She was in her own hutch and run until we got her neutered and she would only go in one corner. When she moved in with Flop things got a bit messier, but she would use the same two litter trays as him. When I moved and they moved into the shed and run, Bramble and Flop always pooed in the litter trays in the shed.
When Flop passed away we got Parsley who decided that one corner of the run was the toilet, whilst Bramble still used one of the litter trays in the shed.
And then we got Willow... We kept her in the kitchen for two weeks whilst we got her vaccinated etc and she would use the two litter trays and the large hay tray. She then moved into the shed with Parsley after they were bonded. The place is littered with poo. The whole length of the 8 foot run from the edge to about a foot in is full of poo. There is poo under the step and on top of the step, there is a scattering of poo across the whole of the run. I've never known a rabbit poo so much, I swear she's a guinea pig in disguise. She eats sooo much hay and poos so much! I love her to pieces but flippin heck can she poo!
Hubby looked after them for a few days whilst I was away and couldn't believe how much hay they get through. He's convinced that Willow doesn't have a stomach and just has a balling machine so hay just goes in and comes straight out of the other end! Is it just me that has an uncontrollable pooing machine? I should add that the vet says she's in perfect health and her poos are large and perfectly formed.

She's normal. You've been lucky with the others. Next comes the 'I'm too clever to pee in the tray, I'll hang over the edge to do it, instead.' Very intelligent creatures, rabbits. But sometimes a little irritating. :lol: Or Tabitha's 'Is that a small water bowl? Let me make my own contribution there....' :lol:

:lol:

In her older age Lola has decided it is fair game to poop everywhere. Literally I will cover 90% of her floor with newspaper and she hangs her butt over the bit with no paper and leaves a pile on the carpet. She used to poop in her food bowl if it was empty and also pees in her water bowl now! The other day I could smell ceacatrophs and asked her if she had a poopy butt :oops: (she is a tummy issue bun). I bent down to look and she gave a disapproving flick of the back legs and a ceacal flung and stuck to my ear! Quite a skill really :lol: once there was one on the ceiling above her. I still don't know how that was physically possible!

Cookie has just never accepted a litter tray. She'll push it and poop behind it. It did work for a while me putting some of her bumbles and peed wood shavings in there (she doesn't have those now) but she went back to moving the tray out the way again. I go through so many newspapers!!

Got to love them! This is one day's production, plus a pile in the corner I missed and the additional output inside the shed. The main culprit sneaked into the picture too whilst having a stretch!
D4Y2Rcxl.jpg

Last edited:
Mine for some reason find the floor a good place to poo. Especially Nancy. And sometimes they wee on the floor too.

Both are perfectly capable of getting in and out of the litter box as they do use it - just not all the time.

I think Nancy is the bad influence. When Will was on his own for 2 weeks after Poppy died there was never a stray poop anywhere.

Back