• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about possible spread of disease.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Following on from my other post about loosing a pasturella rabbit, I have now found that his housemate has also died without warning this morning :(
I have made an emergency appointment for my remaining pair to have their RHD2 vaxes this afternoon (they already have the myxi/RHD1) but obviously I am worried about the possibility that the two that died had RHD2 and it could spread.
The two pairs lived separately - two outside, two inn a shed and used different outdoor runs as I was already conscious of trying to prevent the spread of pasturella. I have told the children not to touch the remaining rabbits for the time being and I am going to keep them in their hutch/run. Is there anything else I can do to minimise risk? I realise it may already be too late but if there's anything else I can do to protect them I would like to cover all the bases.

Following on from my other post about loosing a pasturella rabbit, I have now found that his housemate has also died without warning this morning :(
I have made an emergency appointment for my remaining pair to have their RHD2 vaxes this afternoon (they already have the myxi/RHD1) but obviously I am worried about the possibility that the two that died had RHD2 and it could spread.
The two pairs lived separately - two outside, two inn a shed and used different outdoor runs as I was already conscious of trying to prevent the spread of pasturella. I have told the children not to touch the remaining rabbits for the time being and I am going to keep them in their hutch/run. Is there anything else I can do to minimise risk? I realise it may already be too late but if there's anything else I can do to protect them I would like to cover all the bases.

Oh god I am so sorry :cry:

There is some information about bio-security/cleaning protocols here :

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/update-rhd2-rabbits-first-case-surgery/

I dont know if you still have any contact with Alison ? If so I'd get in touch with her ASAP as she has first hand experience of dealing with an RHD2 outbreak. She is Admin on the FB link I posted previously

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

Or maybe contact here via PM on here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?6187-Santa

I know that she is very busy atm, but I am sure she'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Last edited:

I am sorry to read this :(

You are very wise to have your remaining rabbits vaccinated. But bear in mind, that unless a post-mortem is carried out you will not know what actually caused their deaths. There can be a lot of scare-mongering on Forums concerning 'suspected RHD2 deaths' as my vet has often said. It's a possibility but there are also others.

My vet has put a sheet of info together concerning RHD2:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/wp-c...Update-on-RHD2-for-Rabbit-Owners-Feb-2017.pdf

Santa, a member of this Forum, has a lot of knowledge and experience of RHD2, and she has written a blog here:

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

You can also get more info on this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-25th-Oct-2017

I hope your remaining rabbits will be OK

Last edited:
Thanks for all the nice well wishes :)
This morning Spikes and Daffodil are both looking well and were as enthusiastic as always about their greens :D They both had the RHD2 last night and the vet said they were both looking very healthy. Once I get to next weekend I think I will be able to say the danger has (hopefully) passed. Fingers crossed they both continue to be fighting fit.

This morning Spikes and Daffodil are both looking well and were as enthusiastic as always about their greens :D They both had the RHD2 last night and the vet said they were both looking very healthy. Once I get to next weekend I think I will be able to say the danger has (hopefully) passed. Fingers crossed they both continue to be fighting fit.

I certainly hope so too x

I am keeping my fingers crossed x

As it's not certain that it was RHD2 anyway, I am hopeful that Spikes and Daffodil (lovely names :love:) will remain in good health. It was very wise to protect them just in case :)

Back