• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking rabbit in car with no passengers

mariposa

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
Quick question - I need to transport our little guy in the car tomorrow... What do you guys do? Strap carrier in front seat/back seat/put it in the footwell?
xx

Hi everyone,
Quick question - I need to transport our little guy in the car tomorrow... What do you guys do? Strap carrier in front seat/back seat/put it in the footwell?
xx

Hi :wave: Haven't seen you in a while?

I hope all is OK?

I have strapped the carrier on the back seat where the carrier has 'anchors' for the straps. Not all carriers do.

I tend not to put in the boot, as it can fly around in an accident.

Not to worry you ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...riers-harnesses-fail-pets-safe-car-crash.html

Hello. My carrier has a handle on the top so I put it on the seat (front or back ) and put the seat belt through the handle. It's not perfect as they can move in the carrier but it wouldn't be able to move far in the car.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

There was a video recently not sure of RWAF, and of looked into this and showed that it safer if in back on the floor rather then on seat and belted, it showed of hit the impact it would cause if on back seat and belt

My two tend to go in the carrier in the footwell. The furthest we go is to the vets, only a few minutes drive. We also pop some paper or cardboard in the carriers it helps to stop them sliding around x

Some info ....

https://bunnyapproved.com/road-trip-transporting-rabbits-in-a-car/

Front/Passenger Seat: Placing the carrier on the front seat in any way is dangerous for the pet, because the air bag will open when an accident occurs and destroy or severely dent the carrier while injuring the pet. In case of a full stop, the carrier might get thrown out of the window.

Floor of Front/Passenger Seat: While this option is better than the first one, because we are avoiding the airbag, many accidents involve rear-ending the car in front of us. In that case, the pet would likely get fatally injured.

Back Seat: The back seat seems like a good place to put the carrier, but the crash test showed that in case of an accident it would get thrown towards the front and could either injure the driver/passenger or go right through the window.

Back Seat with Safety Belt: Many carriers come with a little opening in the top that enables us to put a seat belt around it and safely secure it. This sounds like a great option and would prevent the carrier from getting thrown around. However, when the ADAC did the crash test, they found out that the force of the impact was too great for the carrier to uphold. It ended up getting completely destroyed and the animal dummy was thrown out anyway.

Based on the ADAC’s findings, a carrier made from hard plastic placed behind the passenger seat on the floor is the safest way to transport a pet in the car. The carrier should not be larger than necessary and the longer side of the carrier should be placed perpendicular to the driving direction, so that the pet only gets thrown a very short distance before the walls of the carrier get reached. If the carrier is too big to fit, another option is to drive a car with an open compartment, such as an SUV or station wagon, and lean it against the back of the back seats, with the seat belts fastened to further stabilize the seats.

Thank you everyone. MM - all OK thanks, just been so busy with work. Thanks for asking - hope you are well xxx

Thanks for that information. Amazed (and pleased) that this research is carried out. Will be wedging it in the rear foot well from now on.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Well, that certainly is food for thought. I've always made sure that the carrier is strapped in front or back seat using the seat belt through the handle to keep it as steady as possible. In fact, most times in the front seat so I can talk soothingly as I drive. I didn't give a thought to what would happen in an accident. Won't be doing that again.

Wow, good reading here! I’ve always put my carrier for cats/rabbits on the front seat, with the door facing me, so I can comfort and calm them. But in hindsight, of course that’s more dangerous in an accident! Thanks!

I used to always strap the buns into the front seat. Then earlier this year a blue van pulled out in front of me and I had to swerve and do an emergency stop into the pavement!!!

The carrier got thrown from the seatbelt somehow and crashed onto the floor upside down.

After a complete panic and some tears, I managing to continue the journey to the vets. They luckily gave the all clear and calmed me down...

I now always put them in the footwell behind the passenger seat after reading about the safest place... I would have never have thought about it being unsafe until then. :-(

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I used to always strap the buns into the front seat. Then earlier this year a blue van pulled out in front of me and I had to swerve and do an emergency stop into the pavement!!!

The carrier got thrown from the seatbelt somehow and crashed onto the floor upside down.

After a complete panic and some tears, I managing to continue the journey to the vets. They luckily gave the all clear and calmed me down...

I now always put them in the footwell behind the passenger seat after reading about the safest place... I would have never have thought about it being unsafe until then. :-(

How scary! I'm so glad you were all OK :)

Sadly for me, I have a large carrier and a very small car, and there's no room behind the passenger seat. I can't even get passengers in there comfortably!

How scary! I'm so glad you were all OK :)

Sadly for me, I have a large carrier and a very small car, and there's no room behind the passenger seat. I can't even get passengers in there comfortably!
Thanks MM. Pip thought it was great once we got to the vets. She was allowed to explore the vet nurse room (To check she was hopping ok) she wouldn't stop adventuring into every nook and cranny.
Archie refused to stay out of the carrier and kept hopping back in.

We have a tiny UP we push the seat forward to squeeze the carrier in. But it is a small carrier because they are so tiny teeny. ;-)

Thanks MM. Pip thought it was great once we got to the vets. She was allowed to explore the vet nurse room (To check she was hopping ok) she wouldn't stop adventuring into every nook and cranny.
Archie refused to stay out of the carrier and kept hopping back in.

We have a tiny UP we push the seat forward to squeeze the carrier in. But it is a small carrier because they are so tiny teeny. ;-)

Yes, I guess your two would fit into a shoe box :lol:

Several meaty rabbits and there's just not the space!

(What's a UP?)

Yes, I guess your two would fit into a shoe box [emoji38]

Several meaty rabbits and there's just not the space!

(What's a UP?)
Oh sorry,an Up is our car. It's a vw.

And yes my troublesome furballs would definitely fit in a shoebox. However they'd chew they way out in no time. Lol

Mine go on the back seat with the seatbelt fastened as tight as it can go, the car is very small and the carrier is fairly big so they wouldn't fit on the floor. I've always been told to make sure the carrier is sideways rather than the carrier door facing the front seat so that if you have to slam on the rabbit is less likely to go headfirst in to the carrier door

I tend to use the back seat and have the passenger seat pushed back so it’s against the front of the carrier. I’m sure I tried the footwell and the carrier wouldn’t sit right although I have a new car now so will try this for the vet trip with my fosters bunny today!

I use the back seat with the seatbelt through the handle, my carrier won't fit in the footwell. I always try to drive more slowly and carefully with the rabbits on board., basically in the same way I did when I had my wedding cake onboard!

Back