• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can RSPCA/rescue be contacted about Gumtree ad?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I've seen a Gumtree ad about half an hour from where I live - two adult rabbits in a hutch barely big enough for both of them to move. They have a plate of baguette bread to eat and nothing more D: I can't tell if it is flecking on the body, but one of them looks like it has a skin condition.

Does anyone know if you can contact the RSCPA or some kind of rescue about an online advert? Surely the RSPCA would have the authority to take the rabbits off of them if it looked like they were being neglected?

Beapig - Sorry, I'm a bit new to this site - only been a couple of weeks. I would have thought the RSPCA would always take allegations of animal cruelty serious and a phone call to them will provide them with the necessary information they need to begin an investigation. I'm sure that they are aware of ads on various social media sites and it is their job to intervene and investigate any sort of abuse reports. I had cause to use the RSPCA a few years ago when my neighbours were mis-handling and ill treating their own rabbits - it brought me and my wife to tears watching it. We reported it and the RSPCA acted very quickly - within a few days. It made life hell for us (since the neighbour clearly knew who reported it) but at the end of the day, you must do what is right for the animals welfare. At worst, the matter will be logged and at best, you may help a couple of buns who need help. I hope other forum members can share their knowledge for you to help you further as this is just my opinion. Good luck with it and I hope it has a positive outcome.

I agree with Craig. I'd report to the RSPCA. You can do it anonymously unless it goes to court

Thank you Craig and joey&boo, I think I'm going to call them now.

I'm sorry mods, I only just saw the sticky about no topics allowed on freeads, if you want to remove this post...

Thank you Craig and joey&boo, I think I'm going to call them now.

I'm sorry mods, I only just saw the sticky about no topics allowed on freeads, if you want to remove this post...

You haven't quoted a link, so hopefully you'll be OK :)

I would report it, send them the advert and let them decide what to do. It's a difficult one, and a conversation I have had with the R.S.P.C.A. (I work with them).

It sounds like the rabbits are not being kept well, so I agree with you x

Thank you MM. The hutch honestly looks 2ft long (at the most) and their 'food' is a broken up baguette on a plastic tray. So would it be better for me to do the online form and send a link, rather than call them up?

Thank you MM. The hutch honestly looks 2ft long (at the most) and their 'food' is a broken up baguette on a plastic tray. So would it be better for me to do the online form and send a link, rather than call them up?

I'd do it online so they have all info to hand. This might also have the benefit of avoiding a call handler with zero bunny welfare knowledge. Good luck. Whether they'll act I don't know - I hope so

Poor poor babies!!! There truely are some evil people around!

Have you actually tried contacting them to see if they still have the rabbits?

I have always called. Then they can assess what I say and they ask for a link anyway. I get the name of a person to send it to, so I know it goes to someone I've already spoken with.

I've taken on a lot of R.S.P.C.A. cruelty cases and fostered them at my home. The 'before' pictures can be absolutely horrendous :cry:

Poor poor babies!!! There truely are some evil people around!

Have you actually tried contacting them to see if they still have the rabbits?

I haven't tried contacting them, although I was tempted to send a text. On the advert it says they urgently need rehoming due to 'an allergy', but they have another advert for a sofa saying 'Need gone asap we're moving house'...seems pretty obvious what is going on here :(

I've been tempted to get them myself but I don't drive. I've just moved into a new house and we've already rescued one/adopted two one, which has been a handful enough with renovating a house.

Anyone in South Wales interested in a bunny rescue?

I haven't tried contacting them, although I was tempted to send a text. On the advert it says they urgently need rehoming due to 'an allergy', but they have another advert for a sofa saying 'Need gone asap we're moving house'...seems pretty obvious what is going on here :(

I've been tempted to get them myself but I don't drive. I've just moved into a new house and we've already rescued one/adopted two one, which has been a handful enough with renovating a house.

Anyone in South Wales interested in a bunny rescue?

Just seen you PM ... I shall respond a little later, or tomorrow morning :)

Can you maybe just have them for tonight, to at least give them some hay and Proper food, then maybe look to contact local rescues tomorrow?

I wish I was closer, where Abouts in South Wales are you?

Can you maybe just have them for tonight, to at least give them some hay and Proper food, then maybe look to contact local rescues tomorrow?

I wish I was closer, where Abouts in South Wales are you?

I'm in Cardiff, the rabbits are in Tredegar, so about half an hour a way. I'm not sure how we'd get to them - I don't drive, my partner does but we don't actually own a car at the moment. Maybe I could see if there are any rescues local to where the rabbits are that could intervene?

calling a rescue for advice sounds a good plan. It does sound really difficult for you to intervene physically. Off the subject -do feel free to join the home savers thread & tell us about your renovations :)

Sadly an all too common scenario and one of the reasons I now have 12 rabbits :oops:.

I hope that something can be done, as it sounds like a horrible life for them. My dh always points out to me that I'm not the only one looking at these ads and that an amazing person / home could come along. But of course there are no guarantees that this will be the case :( x

It's a noble cause, TheThreeB's <3

The advert has been removed this morning...like you say, here's hoping and praying that someone who knows what they're doing has taken them. I need to stop myself from looking at Freeads, but I can't help myself wanting to save as many animals as possible :oops:

Please take screenshots of the advert now, before it has a chance to disappear! Do you know how to print screen?

The advert has been removed this morning...like you say, here's hoping and praying that someone who knows what they're doing has taken them. I need to stop myself from looking at Freeads, but I can't help myself wanting to save as many animals as possible :oops:

Oh, I just read this after posting my last comment. Can only hope they've been rescued and nothing sinister :(

You have a big and compassionate heart :love:

I reported the ad through my connections (I will get back to you by PM).

I know there are folk who say you shouldn't look at the freeads if you're not in a position to help. But hey - YOU might not have been in a position to help on your own, but if you bring it to our notice there may well be someone who can help. Just look at our rescue team effort!

I ignore the nay-sayers and go for it anyway if there's a way I can make it work. Sometimes a bunny just needs to be saved :)

Back