• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been guiltily absent, now need advice :( U/D bonding success!

EyerollChamp

Alpha Buck
I've not been around for ages so shouldn't even ask but I don't know what to do anymore.

We lost Tanglefoot very suddenly today. I can't even believe it's happened, let alone think about what to do now.

Lupin is really not himself. I can't leave him alone but don't think he'll bond to Luna and we can't have any of them indoors because they've all attacked Wren - Tanglefoot nearly had her finger off, she has scars on her cheek from where Lupin scratched her and Luna always scratched awhere'd nipped her, which is why they've all been outside. Lupin is in the kitchen tonight as without Tanglefoot he won't be warm enough. But he can't stay there.

Finances are dire. Can't afford an autopsy or even a check up for the others, taking on any more is out of the question for a while.

What should I do? The thought of giving up my beautiful bunnies breaks my heart but I need to do what's best for them.

I'm heartbroken.

Last edited:
I've not been around for ages so shouldn't even ask but I don't know what to do anymore.

We lost Tanglefoot very suddenly today. I can't even believe it's happened, let alone think about what to do now.

Lupin is really not himself. I can't leave him alone but don't think he'll bond to Luna and we can't have any of them indoors because they've all attacked Wren - Tanglefoot nearly had her finger off, she has scars on her cheek from where Lupin scratched her and Luna always scratched awhere'd nipped her, which is why they've all been outside. Lupin is in the kitchen tonight as without Tanglefoot he won't be warm enough. But he can't stay there.

Finances are dire. Can't afford an autopsy or even a check up for the others, taking on any more is out of the question for a while.

What should I do? The thought of giving up my beautiful bunnies breaks my heart but I need to do what's best for them.

I'm heartbroken.

Eyeroll, you are always welcome here, however long you've been away :wave:

I am so sorry to hear about Tanglefoot. That's terrible news :(

I am surprised that you feel Lupin won't be warm enough ... If he's growing his winter coat he should be able to manage without a friend for a while (with lots of straw or hay). If you bring him into the kitchen then you may be making a rod for your own back, as he won't be able to stay there, and changes of temperature will weaken his immune system.

Can Lupin go back to his familiar surroundings for the meanwhile till you decide what to do and things have settled in. You must be in total shock ... There may be a bond there with Luna if you get the right person to help?

Sending you loads of hugs xx Are you both and Wren OK? xxx

I am so sorry that you've lost Tanglefoot :cry: Sending lots of hugs for you and lots of vibes for your beautiful Lupin.

Hi MM and Omi.

Thank you xx

Yes you're right, I don't think I'm thinking straight. He has the shed but Tanglefoot normally sleeps on top of him and keeps him warm. He doesn't really get a winter coat as he's a rex. The other thing is that Tanglefoot's body is in the shed right now as we've nowhere big enough to bury her and it's dark. I don't want him to sleep there with her body.

Wren is great, I'm getting over the flu and the death of a dear friend 3 weeks ago (the 5th in as many years, I'm almost alone now). Dann is unhappy as he can't find a job that pays enough. The other kids are ok. How are you? Xxx

Hi MM and Omi.

Thank you xx

Yes you're right, I don't think I'm thinking straight. He has the shed but Tanglefoot normally sleeps on top of him and keeps him warm. He doesn't really get a winter coat as he's a rex. The other thing is that Tanglefoot's body is in the shed right now as we've nowhere big enough to bury her and it's dark. I don't want him to sleep there with her body.

Wren is great, I'm getting over the flu and the death of a dear friend 3 weeks ago (the 5th in as many years, I'm almost alone now). Dann is unhappy as he can't find a job that pays enough. The other kids are ok. How are you? Xxx

Are you sure? Mine are Rexes, they certainly moult and I am imagining that their coat is now thicker for Winter. I would guess that, having a young baby, your house is probably quite warm atm and so it will not be ideal for Lupin. Unless you have somewhere where you can leave the heating off and possibly a small window open. I would also try Lupin with a cuddly toy to snuggle up to.

Hi MM and Omi.

Thank you xx

I am nothing if not controversial - why not leave Lupin with Tanglefoot in the shed? If there were no reason to prevent it, I would. It's a good thing for Lupin to really understand the situation ... I may get jumped on from 'on high' for my suggestion but I will risk that ;)

Sorry you're having a bad time of it. I've been through the mill too so I really empathise.

It's a bit mis with the dark nights coming upon us too ... I send you my best hugs xx

Thanks guys. I left Lupin with her body for a few hours earlier as I thought it would be better for him to understand. I'm more worried about the transference of any pathogens, I rather think it was sudden as she showed no signs of illness (I know they hide things but she was 100% her usual, ever hungry self right till the end), and giants apparently just sometimes go. But I can't be certain.

Dann has put her in a bin bag -not the most dignified solution but all we had - and stacked up some toolboxes on top of the freezer in the shed and put her on top of that.

Lupin is back in the shed with a lifelike bunny toy and extra bedding.

I'll reassess the situation in the morning as I'm having trouble thinking straight. I'll be back on here tomorrow.

Thank you for your help as always. I'm so sorry you've had a hard time, dear MM. Hugs back to you xx

I am nothing if not controversial - why not leave Lupin with Tanglefoot in the shed? If there were no reason to prevent it, I would. It's a good thing for Lupin to really understand the situation ... I may get jumped on from 'on high' for my suggestion but I will risk that ;)

Sorry you're having a bad time of it. I've been through the mill too so I really empathise.

It's a bit mis with the dark nights coming upon us too ... I send you my best hugs xx

I was going to suggest this too, but didn't know why you didn't want to do this. Or are you thinking that Tanglefoot might have died from something contagious? I would have no problem with leaving the two of them together overnight if it were me.

Thanks guys. I left Lupin with her body for a few hours earlier as I thought it would be better for him to understand. I'm more worried about the transference of any pathogens, I rather think it was sudden as she showed no signs of illness (I know they hide things but she was 100% her usual, ever hungry self right till the end), and giants apparently just sometimes go. But I can't be certain.

Dann has put her in a bin bag -not the most dignified solution but all we had - and stacked up some toolboxes on top of the freezer in the shed and put her on top of that.

Lupin is back in the shed with a lifelike bunny toy and extra bedding.

I'll reassess the situation in the morning as I'm having trouble thinking straight. I'll be back on here tomorrow.

Thank you for your help as always. I'm so sorry you've had a hard time, dear MM. Hugs back to you xx

Thank you xx

I think if anything contagious was around, then it would've been transferred already. Probably before she died.

I think it's best to keep Lupin to the temperature he's accustomed to.

I hope you have a peaceful night. Know that we are all thinking of you and wishing you well.

See you tomorrow or whenever feels right for you xxx

Oh ERC, as lovely as it is to see you back, I'm sorry it's under such dreadful circumstances. Very sorry to hear of beautiful Tanglefoot's passing.

I echo Omi's sentiments regarding rexes. My rexes are all outdoors too, and Helios and Persephone especially have looked very raggedy with their seasonal moults this year. And also the suggestion of trying the bond with Lupin and Luna, even if you get some help to do so.

Glad to hear little Wren is doing well. Sending you all lots of love. xxx

I'm so sorry to hear about Tanglefoot:cry: they are so fragile and when you lose them suddenly without warning it is such a shock :cry: you all need time to come to terms with it all.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Thank you everyone. Dann has just buried her under the hay loft (her fave hangout). I placed her in the grave and put a bunch of coriander under her nose as it was her fave munchy. Even Dann cried. I couldn't watch him cover her up.I wish I'd given her more coriander while I still had the chance.

Lupin won't leave the shed today. I am going to attempt to bond him to Luna but not sure how long to wait? I don't want to cause him any more stress right now. If that doesn't work I may have to rehome them both. I don't even know how I would go about that, let alone how horrible it would be.

Thanks everyone for your kindness. I'm sorry I keep disappearing. I do that.

Hope you are all well and happy as can be xxxxx

Hello ERC, good to see you back although I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances. Binky free Tanglefoot xx

If there's anything I could do to help you please let me know, best of luck for bonding and I really hope you don't have to re-home either bunny. Im very grateful for the brilliant home you've given Luna and I know you'll always do what's best for her. Look after yourself xx

Hello ERC, good to see you back although I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances. Binky free Tanglefoot xx

If there's anything I could do to help you please let me know, best of luck for bonding and I really hope you don't have to re-home either bunny. Im very grateful for the brilliant home you've given Luna and I know you'll always do what's best for her. Look after yourself xx

Thanks Liz, that means a lot to me xxx

I think I could use all the bonding advice I can get so if you have any I would be most grateful. Luna finds bonding traumatic and Lupin had chunks of fur out of her last time they got together (he dug under the rabbit-proof run *facepalm*).

It really would be the best solution all-round, though, especially with winter coming up. It can get extremely cold and windy here.

I'm happy to come and help bond if you need some moral support. I've done a lot of bonding - some for other people - and once did a six.

I'm happy to come and help bond if you need some moral support. I've done a lot of bonding - some for other people - and once did a six.

Really? That's amazing! Are you sure? I've bonded a few pairs in my time but I think for the most part I've just been extremely lucky. I'll tell you what - I'll give it a go on my own and see how it goes. If I really can't do it I'll be in touch if that's OK? Thank you so much for your kind offer xxx

Back