• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Play pen

Hi, we purchased a playpen for Bert and the size is perfect. The one problem we have is he grabs the bars and moves the pen along and off the matting. I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a hard floor that we could fix the pen too?
Thanks
ace377e667a546b0c7b912f4081ce91e.jpg
. This is the pen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, we purchased a playpen for Bert and the size is perfect. The one problem we have is he grabs the bars and moves the pen along and off the matting. I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a hard floor that we could fix the pen too?
Thanks
ace377e667a546b0c7b912f4081ce91e.jpg
. This is the pen

Something like this maybe ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-EVA...hash=item4d4daac5e9:m:mEViX-cA7bhAvkirH9HMBaw

Re the pen, I dont know what the dimensions of the bar spacings are on that particular pen ?, Some pens can be dangerous for Rabbits as the bar spacing is such that the Rabbit can get their head stuck between the bars. One example :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Rabbit-Protection-72-inch-Rectangle/product-reviews/B0064OEJGM

So you may want to attach some additional galvanised mesh paneling around the pen.

Last edited:
Thank you but I don't think he's going to get his head stuck, his heads about 5 times the size of the width of the bars

I need something that's a solid base to be able to tie onto the bottom of the pen but thank you

I had the same pen for my bunnies and as well as moving it around they also worked out fairly quickly that they could lift up the panels with their nose and escape underneath. A lot of rabbits would be able to hop out easily although mine were too lazy to try that! I now use a taller heavy duty puppy pen. You could try attaching something heavy to the panels to weigh them down rather than fixing it to the floor?

I did think about that but can't think what, yes I think we are going to look at a sturdier one. What one do you have if you don't mind me asking?
He hasn't thought about jumping out yet but he is always supervised while in it. Outdoors he has an enclosed run/free range of the garden when we are there

I got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JR6Z...olid=G55ZURKPSXSV&coliid=I19PURW1FDW3CQ&psc=1 it has a few height options as well as the number of panels. I find it quite versatile as I can add or take away panels when I need to, my rabbits are indoors and it’s their main space (and only space when we aren’t around to supervise) so I have it as big as possible but can reduce it if we need to reclaim a bit of living space when it’s the kids birthdays etc!

Thank you. I was looking at that one. How big are the bars? As I'm now paranoid about him getting his head stuck now I've seen the post on here

Thank you but I don't think he's going to get his head stuck, his heads about 5 times the size of the width of the bars

Yes, when I looked at yours I decided it wasn't one of the ones where the rabbit was likely to get his head stuck :thumb:

I would probably put bricks along the inside of the pen? They wouldn't be able to get at the edges to lift it up, and wouldn't be able to push the pen around.

The spacing between the bars is slightly wider than the one you have, I believe the main issues with metal runs are with the lighter weight ones as the metal bars are thinner and can bend with a bit of force (eg a rabbit hitting it at full speed). I’m not aware of any incidents with the heavy duty pens but happy to be corrected if anyone knows of this happening.

Sadly it happened at the rescue I volunteer at with one of the roofed pens Jane has linked to above - more info here: http://www.fairlybelovedrabbitcare....8:dangerous-run-equipment&catid=30&Itemid=157

That's good news. It's horrible isn't it. We made our outdoor run as we needed it enclosed all round because I wanted it to attach to his hutch for more space while we are at work. It means there's no chance of him digging under and anything getting in. It's made from the galvanised small hole mesh
6d1e07406c9453577f8cc2938b605b0a.jpg
it's 7ft long and 4ft wide and his hutch is 6ft

Yes, when I looked at yours I decided it wasn't one of the ones where the rabbit was likely to get his head stuck :thumb:

I would probably put bricks along the inside of the pen? They wouldn't be able to get at the edges to lift it up, and wouldn't be able to push the pen around.

I to was going to suggest bricks or heavy door stoppers lol

Back