• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sable - lonely little bunny

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
As many of you know, I had to have my beautiful Bobby pts nearly a fortnight ago. He and Sable had been well and truly bonded for all of their ten years.

So now my poor little sable is left on her own. I just dont know what to do. I was trying to decide on housing before Bobby became ill and I became (temporarly) bed bound.

I cannot manage the hutch. It is too low and too deep (I suspect that it was trying to get down to it, and medicate/clean Bobby that did for my back as it had me in tears trying to manage). At present, neighbours are doing their best (& Karen is going to come over), but that can only be short term, obviously. If i thought it was a temporary blip, it would be fine, but it isn't: my hip is never going to allow me to get down to her in this hutch.

Also, it means she doesnt have a secure run attached.

This is awful. She is on her own all day and night, and it just isn't right. Unfortunately there is nowhere to put a decent sized indoor set up. Feel stuck.

Could Karen take a look when she visits and see if there is any space at all in the home for her?
Is there any chance she could become free range after litter training? (If she isn't already).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As many of you know, I had to have my beautiful Bobby pts nearly a fortnight ago. He and Sable had been well and truly bonded for all of their ten years.

So now my poor little sable is left on her own. I just dont know what to do. I was trying to decide on housing before Bobby became ill and I became (temporarly) bed bound.

I cannot manage the hutch. It is too low and too deep (I suspect that it was trying to get down to it, and medicate/clean Bobby that did for my back as it had me in tears trying to manage). At present, neighbours are doing their best (& Karen is going to come over), but that can only be short term, obviously. If i thought it was a temporary blip, it would be fine, but it isn't: my hip is never going to allow me to get down to her in this hutch.

This is awful. She is on her own all day and night, and it just isn't right. Unfortunately there is nowhere to put a decent sized indoor set up. Feel stuck.
Hi babsie,

I don't mind helping if you ever need a hand with anything. I know Rhianna and Catherine has helped you before. But just letting you know I'm here. Lucy xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Could Karen take a look when she visits and see if there is any space at all in the home for her?
Is there any chance she could become free range after litter training? (If she isn't already).

Unfortunately that isnt an option, but thank you.

Unfortunately that isnt an option, but thank you.
I'm sorry Babsie.

I hope someone else can give you some more useful suggestions. xx

Sending lots of nose rubs and sneaking treats ;) x (For Sable, sorry Babsie)

Hi babsie,

I don't mind helping if you ever need a hand with anything. I know Rhianna and Catherine has helped you before. But just letting you know I'm here. Lucy xx

Thank you, Lucy, i appreciate that. x

Could you just use puppy playpen panels or something to block access to wherever you don't want her to go? That way she could have a reasonable amount of space e.g part of a room, without it taking up space or needing to remove furniture. And it would make cleaning easier as you wouldn't have to maneuver around a cage/run and have a cage/run to clean out. Much easier to sweep/vacuum and dump out a litterpan. I feel like most buns can be littertrained.

Mrs Bunnykins keeps her single bun in the kitchen overnight but during the day when the weather is OK the door is open and there is a penned off area by the back door for him to go so he can come in and go out as he pleases while she is around. He has a hutch but only as a base and is never shut in. Your kitchen is a similar shape and size Babs so it would be do-able. You could then lift his litter tray up to clean it out.

I agree with you about his hutch. I couldn't get to the back of it to clean it out easily and although I have arthritis I am more mobile than you can be. I know that between us with me bending down and lifting Sable up to you we could manage but you need to be able to do it on your own. Could you maybe get another door cut into the back? You could clean it in two stages then. I think that is what I would do with that hutch, which is a lovely spacious and well made home for Sable.

You are home a lot and Sable is very much a people bunny and likes cuddles so I think she would be happy as a single house bunny. Di's Dylan was adopted from rescue as a single bun as he doesn't bond but he is not a people bunny at all. He comes and goes as he pleases though and seems happy enough.

I don't know when you would like me to come over - tomorrow before work, Saturday or Sunday after work - but I could have a look and see if that would be do-able with moving some things in the kitchen around.

Sable is a lovely bunny and I agree that it isn't fair to keep her outside on her own long-term. She seemed lively enough when I saw her - not pining but running around - so I don't think you have to decide what to do until you are able to get downstairs and potter around again.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you and Sable both, Babsie. It's so frustrating when you want to do what's best, but don't know where to go because of whatever limitations. I'm glad to read that Sable isn't pining too much for Bobby, though.

If my circumstances were very different I'd offer to have Sable here Babsie. But as usual I am as much use as a chocolate teapot. I can understand how worrying about Sable's welfare is an additional anxiety for you when you already have more than enough to cope with.

Hi Babsie.

Many hugs for your situation xx. Pain and not being able to get around is one thing, but having little ones dependant on us and feeling guilty that we can't do what we promised them makes the situation even worse :(

Perhaps some thinking of the best way forward in the long term is required at some stage, but won't be easy. In the short term there are solutions perhaps with some of the wonderful people on this Forum ...

Babsie, have you a thought in your heart as to what you think might be best around this issue? Also, the grief of losing Bobby is still raw, and it makes things even harder to see clearly, perhaps .... More hugs to you x

Would you like someone to look after sable again until you are ready? X

I'm not sure what to suggest, I'm so sorry you are in this situation:cry: is there anyway at all she could be an indoor bunny with puppy panels to make a pen if you can't give up a room? Or could you get someone to make a run, and legs for the hutch to go on? The hutch could go on top of the run at the front so you could clean it more easily, and if there was a hole cut into the floor or at the back to a ramp, steps or runaround pipe she could access the run that way?

I wish there was some way I could help xx

Would you like someone to look after sable again until you are ready? X

That's kind of you. I've offered to have Sable here. Although she would have to be indoors - because of my 'hot flushes' my bedroom is so cold with no double glazing, the window wide open, it is no different to the temperature outside, although that will change when the frosts come. I think that because Sable and Bobby were fostered by Catherine for over a year and have only recently come home and now Sable has lost Bobby, Babs doesn't want her unsettled any more, which I can completely understand. She also has a huge area of Babs' garden at the moment with loads of space to run and binky.

As Sable is ten (I think) she can't go up ramps unless they are gentle ones so raising the hutch up wouldn't be an option unless steps could be built. (I had thought about that as it is how I got around a similar problem with my buns' hutch and cleaning out).

Hopefully, I will visit Babsie over the weekend and at least take Sable upstairs to see her 'Mum'. Sable is a friendly little bun and was happy for me to cuddle her.

Is replacing the hutch with a shed or dog kennel type run thing an option? I have problems with my neck and I can use a broom and long handled dustpan to clean them out when it's bad. I'm sorry that you're struggling so much, I wish I could help x

Thanks everyone. Bit late today as I went back to sleep.
I am thinking of some sort of 'kennel' for her. Its such a shame because the hutch is lovely and large at 7 x 3 x 3. The thought of her spending the rest of her life on her own is so distressing.

I could have her in our bedroom, I am home all day so can give her company too. Mr B was very happy living in our bedroom, he had freedom of the flat but liked the bedroom and hallway only.

Is replacing the hutch with a shed or dog kennel type run thing an option? I have problems with my neck and I can use a broom and long handled dustpan to clean them out when it's bad. I'm sorry that you're struggling so much, I wish I could help x

Yes that's what I'm hoping to do. Everything (particularly me) has come to a standstill as I can't seem to get my head round things whilst stuck in bed. The thought of her spending the rest of her life on her own is just awful ... she needs to be with another husbun. Just don't know what to do. I think if someone was looking for an older girl to bond with their bereaved boy, I would seriously consider letting her go.

Offers there, I don't mind how long or short a time period. When I had my op ARC looked after the two bunnies outside for 3 months and then six weeks when James lost his dad. We did keep Mr B as he was completely different to the outside rabbits.

Back