• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can One Jump to Conclusions Based on a Photograph?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hello all :wave:

I've got into the habit of browsing second hand bunny stuff, and come across rabbits themselves during these online searches. I came across this 8 week old rabbit this evening, in the photo it is in a tiny little cage with what appears to be no food, water or hay, just some newspaper:

*Link removed - no links to free ads please*

Maybe the rabbit was just photographed in here temporarily? It's silly to look because it's not like I could take the little dear myself :( What do you guys think of the advert? The description is so short and vague, it doesn't seem like a loved pet. But maybe I'm just being judgemental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you've said hard to judge based on one photo and no description, so I won't comment on it. I refuse to let myself look at other rabbits needing homes on selling websites as I automatically want to take them out of the situation they are/could be in :( Unfortunately way too many rabbits being brought by uneducated owners wanting a cute pet for their kids, they then sell them on with a simple 'kids lost interest'.

Let's hope she was there just for the photo, although it does look like the newspaper has been ripped up.

How gorgeous is she though :love:

She is beautiful. I never look as would want to rescue them all and would feel sad. Maybe you are better off not knowing since nothing can be done. If you knew of a home she could go to then I would ask if the cage came with it and play ignorant and say about food and water and see what they say.

ive not looked but surely it be better photographing not in a cage? so id conclude it is kept in the cage? but no water or hay as you say is not good

Apologies to this bunny who I assumed was a she! He is very cute :love: Really hope he doesn't live in there. Surely no-one would think no water or food is needed :?

Apologies to this bunny who I assumed was a she! He is very cute :love: Really hope he doesn't live in there. Surely no-one would think no water or food is needed :?

I agree with all of you, it's better not to look when you know you can't help :( Hereford isn't far from me but two bunnies is all we can afford space/money/time wise at the moment. I hope that the person who buys the rabbit gives him a loving home with plenty of space, food, water and hay <3

*Link removed - no links to free ads please*

This is why I shouldn't look...that's the most dire looking hutch I've ever seen :( And the bunny is only 15 minutes away from me. I wish I could care for them all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, I do this! Which is why I now have 12 rabbits :shock: I'm always drawn to those that appear neglected and tbh I've found that what we've perceived from the photos has so far turned out to be the case, sometimes even worse.

In this instance it's difficult to say for sure, but certainly if I was photographing a bunny for sale (which I won't be) I would want to give a good impression and this definitely doesn't.

It's such a shame because it's one of so many. Hopefully they will go to a lovely home x

Oh yes, I do this! Which is why I now have 12 rabbits :shock: I'm always drawn to those that appear neglected and tbh I've found that what we've perceived from the photos has so far turned out to be the case, sometimes even worse.

In this instance it's difficult to say for sure, but certainly if I was photographing a bunny for sale (which I won't be) I would want to give a good impression and this definitely doesn't.

It's such a shame because it's one of so many. Hopefully they will go to a lovely home x

All of your bunnies look so beautiful <3 It's very sad that this is the case, but given how easy it is to walk into a shop and buy a pet without a home check, it doesn't surprise me at all :( The rabbit in the link above is about a 10 - 15 minute drive from me. The hutch looks horrific. I hope someone lovely gives the poor thing a home.

Sorry Zoobec, I didn't realise! I shan't do that again. Yes I agree, I shouldn't let myself look at them anymore...

I used to look too but had to stop as it upset me too much. The problem is then feeling guilty for not looking and turning a blind eye! So difficult :(

Back