• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Good Deed

Niklovesrats

Warren Scout
I am going to do a charity day and go and spend the day helping a rabbit rescue. I am really excited and hope I don't see anything that will make me cry!! Cant believe so many rabbits end up cast aside, just find it hard to believe that people generally (not just rabbits) get an animal without really thinking of the commitments or costs or ties etc and then when their life changes or plans change they just cast the animal aside, cant understand it will never understand it!!!!

I am going to do a charity day and go and spend the day helping a rabbit rescue. I am really excited and hope I don't see anything that will make me cry!! Cant believe so many rabbits end up cast aside, just find it hard to believe that people generally (not just rabbits) get an animal without really thinking of the commitments or costs or ties etc and then when their life changes or plans change they just cast the animal aside, cant understand it will never understand it!!!!

That's wonderful :)

I love my days in rescue ... You meet so many like minded people and for me the joy is helping all those wonderful rabbits!

That's awesome, I'd love to do something like that :) mind you I'm soon to have 12 of my own, so I've probably got my fair share right here :lol:

Good luck x

How wonderful :) I bet you will enjoy it in so many ways. Don't forget to tell us all about it afterwards :)

You will love it!

I've recently started volunteering at a rabbit rescue on Mondays as part of my college work placement. It's so incredibly fulfilling and the rescue and the people that run it are wonderful.

Let us know how you get on :D

Xxx

I help at Scunthorpe Rabbit Rescue, I go on a Saturday morning to clean out and feed, I also store bales of hay in my garage as the rescue has no storage space. It is lovely to be able to help out, but beware that you may see and hear some awful things. We have had quite a few in from the RSPCA, victims of neglect and abandonment. A common problem is people moving out of their rented accommodation and leaving their pets behind. We have taken in rabbits that have been dumped in the countryside, and some in terrible condition. We have a very large buck in at the moment, a beautiful silver grey colour, very gentle and sweet, he came in full of mites, earmites and very long nails. He'd been neglected for quite a while.

Another one we had in a while ago became quite famous. She was a Continental Giant doe, dumped on the side of a motorway. She was picked up by some Council workmen and taken to the rescue. She was in a terrible state, emaciated, urine scald, sores on her hocks and feet and matted up underneath. She was very weak and took a long time to come right. She was eventually adopted by one of the vets at our local practice.

You'll doubtless see a lot of very cute babies too! You'll enjoy it, but resist the temptation to bring them all home!

Well I did my day and met some wonderful people and some gorgeous bunnies!! I did hear a few stories of the state rabbits come in but until parents wise up and make their children take responsibility or become responsible themselves its going to continue to happen. The first 2 rabbits we got were Honey and Cola and they were my daughters, for her 11th birthday but she had wanted rabbits for several years, since that birthday 18 months ago those 2 rabbits are now 7 and we caught the rabbit bug..... however I have to take my hat off to my daughter and say that we are both out there every single day regardless of weather and they are cleaned and fed every single day, they get human interaction and contact every single day. Abbie has amazed me with her dedication to the rabbits and hamsters she owns. There are times (2 or 3 times a week) when she has to do all 7 rabbits single handed cause I work until 9pm in the evening and she does it without complaint. Most of the rabbits that came into the rescue were from parents whose kids had lost interest, some at only a few months old!!! Im going to try to raise funds and awareness for this particular rabbit rescue, they have a facebook page if anyone wanted to take a look. Its called the littlest rescue

Well I did my day and met some wonderful people and some gorgeous bunnies!! I did hear a few stories of the state rabbits come in but until parents wise up and make their children take responsibility or become responsible themselves its going to continue to happen. The first 2 rabbits we got were Honey and Cola and they were my daughters, for her 11th birthday but she had wanted rabbits for several years, since that birthday 18 months ago those 2 rabbits are now 7 and we caught the rabbit bug..... however I have to take my hat off to my daughter and say that we are both out there every single day regardless of weather and they are cleaned and fed every single day, they get human interaction and contact every single day. Abbie has amazed me with her dedication to the rabbits and hamsters she owns. There are times (2 or 3 times a week) when she has to do all 7 rabbits single handed cause I work until 9pm in the evening and she does it without complaint. Most of the rabbits that came into the rescue were from parents whose kids had lost interest, some at only a few months old!!! Im going to try to raise funds and awareness for this particular rabbit rescue, they have a facebook page if anyone wanted to take a look. Its called the littlest rescue

Ah - I know them - they are regularly mentioned on the 'Ocean' Facebook page - all about a rabbit called Ocean funnily enough who was adopted from the Littlest Rescue - sadly Ocean is now at the Bridge but the page is now run by Daisy - a rather cheeky girl also adopted from the Littlest Rescue.

I think it's awesome your daughter still has so much interest in the rabbits - a real animal lover who takes her duties to heart - you must be very proud of her x

I'm pleased it went well :) My dd is the same, she is such a help and has often looked after 9, because I work weekends. Now we've gone up to 12 so even more work. She wants to be a vet x

I'm pleased it went well :) My dd is the same, she is such a help and has often looked after 9, because I work weekends. Now we've gone up to 12 so even more work. She wants to be a vet x

A neighbour's daughter also wants to be a vet. She would have helped me, but the transition from school to 6th form college has her reeling with the amount of homework. She's very bright but is really struggling with the quantity of work She went to a meeting at the RVC in London on Sat, after doing the GOSH fundraising run, and we've got her into Anton Vets over half-term, so think she'll enjoy that.

A neighbour's daughter also wants to be a vet. She would have helped me, but the transition from school to 6th form college has her reeling with the amount of homework. She's very bright but is really struggling with the quantity of work She went to a meeting at the RVC in London on Sat, after doing the GOSH fundraising run, and we've got her into Anton Vets over half-term, so think she'll enjoy that.

I loved my time working with vets in Rescue. I bet she will find it fascinating and useful :)

Back