• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice re Mites Needed/Update 16.10.17

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Six weeks ago 2 people looked over the fence and asked if I could take a rabbit so I arranged to go and have a look that evening when the owner was home from work. As soon as I saw her I could see she had mites so the following morning I took her into my Vets where she was given an Ivermectin injection. She had her fifth Injection yesterday and the Vet took some of her fur to have a look at under the microscope. The Vet has just 'phoned to say she can still see a few mites and what I need to do is spray the environment (she is indoors with no other rabbits) and if I take her into the Hospital they will pull all the crusty fur out and give her a special wash. Is this normal and is there anything else that can be done for her other than what the Vet has advised? I just hate the idea of spraying my home, I have never had to do this before nor have I experienced rabbits with mites.

Last edited:
Mites are often an indication that there are other health issues. Has she had a full MOT, including a good look at her teeth? Anything that affects her ability to groom (eg teeth, arthritis) or affects her immune system will make her prone to a build up of mites. After 5 doses of ivermectin, I would expect a 'random' infestation to have cleared.

Mites are often in the environment but a normally healthy rabbit won't be bothered by them. She may just be run down due to a poor environment or diet from her previous home, so this may resolve - but I would be asking for a full health check. I would also be worried by the 'crusty fur'. There may be a secondary bacterial infection which requires additional treatment.

I hope she starts to flourish under your care - it sounds like you took her on when she needed you.

Thanks for the reply Shimmer. Do you think it a good idea for the Vets to pull out the dandruffy hair and shampoo her?

I'm not a vet so I can't really say - but If it really needs it, she may be more comfortable to be free of mites and gunk after a special shampoo - a literal clean start. I've used a selenium based one on a rabbit before, or it may be something like a dilute hibiscrub bath that they are proposing. Could you do it at home so she is less stressed? She would need to be kept warm until she is completely dry (which might be quicker and easier at the vets). It also gives them a chance to give her a full physical examination. You need to weigh up the advantages versus the stress it may put her under.

Not sure I would want them pulling the fur out...

Six weeks ago 2 people looked over the fence and asked if I could take a rabbit so I arranged to go and have a look that evening when the owner was home from work. As soon as I saw her I could see she had mites so the following morning I took her into my Vets where she was given an Ivermectin injection. She had her fifth Injection yesterday and the Vet took some of her fur to have a look at under the microscope. The Vet has just 'phoned to say she can still see a few mites and what I need to do is spray the environment (she is indoors with no other rabbits) and if I take her into the Hospital they will pull all the crusty fur out and give her a special wash. Is this normal and is there anything else that can be done for her other than what the Vet has advised? I just hate the idea of spraying my home, I have never had to do this before nor have I experienced rabbits with mites.

Sorry to hear about this tonibun. Five injections is unusual, as the most rabbits normally have/need is three.

Have you tried boosting her immune system with echinacea, as mites is often a sign that the immune system isn't working in order to keep the mites in check. She could be extremely run down.

I wouldn't be happy spraying my house with insecticide either.

Lime sulfur dips used to be the treatment for mites in the old days. Perhaps the vet is thinking something similar, as the Ivermectin hasn't worked?

Here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Dips (Aludex® - Hoechst; Seleen® - Sanofi; LymDyp® - DVM) can be used to treat the seborrhea (excessive secretion of fat by the skin) and remove the keratin layer on which the mites feed; they will not kill the parasite.

... you could ask your vet specifically what he's hoping the bathing will achieve?

Pepper is booked in tomorrow to have her fur pulled out and shampooed. I am not looking forward to putting her through this but when I tried to pull some fur out myself I realised how bad it is underneath. Hopefully it will work. She is a very sensitive rabbit but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. So I would appreciate lots of vibes for Pepper please.

Pepper is booked in tomorrow to have her fur pulled out and shampooed. I am not looking forward to putting her through this but when I tried to pull some fur out myself I realised how bad it is underneath. Hopefully it will work. She is a very sensitive rabbit but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. So I would appreciate lots of vibes for Pepper please.

I think it's the right thing to do.

Loads of vibes tonibun :wave:

Pepper is at the Vets now and they are going to use Selene. They asked me if I had bought the spray and I told them no but the VN said it is important to spray the environment. :( I have only used Insecticide once and that was when my Daughter caught head lice when she was in Greece! I suppose I will have to buy some. I will ask a few questions when I go to pick her up. The previous owner had been putting Sudocrem on!

Pepper is back home with a bare back! She seems in good spirits thankfully. I have also bought a huge canister of RIP Fleas etc just to show willing. However I have put bunny outside in a shed with lots of bedding in order for her to go into a mite-free environment rather than coming back indoors. I hope this will be ok. The VN said that the mites left on her should die after injesting the solution (Selene) :thumb: Hopefully this will be the end of her mite problem. I have to now decide whether to spray my Lounge etc (any suggestions re this please?)

Pepper is back home with a bare back! She seems in good spirits thankfully. I have also bought a huge canister of RIP Fleas etc just to show willing. However I have put bunny outside in a shed with lots of bedding in order for her to go into a mite-free environment rather than coming back indoors. I hope this will be ok. The VN said that the mites left on her should die after injesting the solution (Selene) :thumb: Hopefully this will be the end of her mite problem. I have to now decide whether to spray my Lounge etc (any suggestions re this please?)

I am glad Pepper is home again, and hopefully none the worse for her bath :) Bless her!

Regarding the mites, I personally wouldn't use it, but then I have house rabbits. Do you have rabbits residing indoors and would the spray affect them?

I don't have rabbits indoors but you are not to use the spray near any pets or plants! I don't have carpets just lino throughout so that is less worrying. I am hoping any mites indoors will die off.

Back