• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweetpea has dental problems and now seizures.

christina83

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, my Sweetpea (he's a boy, just so pretty and sweet we called him Sweetpea), he's been having dentals on and off for about 2years and has developed an abscess which has been kept under control and hasn't seemed to bother him. 3 weeks ago he started dribbling to we took him to the vets to find out our usual vet had left the practice (she was really good with our bunnies), anyway this vet seemed horrible and said he'd need a dental and if that didn't fix him we were to put him to sleep. So we were stunned at what she'd said, we've had other bunnies who've had dental and abscesses but no vet had said that to us. Sweetpea is happy in himself and eats well and loves banana. Anyway we took him to have his dental on Friday the 29th of September, and he was awake from the anesthetic when we picked him up. The veterinary nurse explained he needed antibiotics and the usual aftercare, while the nurse was telling us all of this the vet who had done his dental sat by the desk in front of us and ignored me and mum. Mum said thank you to the vet on the way out and she blanked mum, so the receptionist had to tell the vet mum had said thank you, and all the vet said was if it doesn't work we'll put him down.
Anyway he's been ok but his dribble has come back and he has his tongue sticking to the side slightly, and on Saturday night dad noticed he seemed to fall getting out of his litter box in the sitting room and he started panting, so we comforted him and he did a weird yawn. 10mins after this he was back to normal, so we thought maybe he'd been over stressed. On monday mum phoned the vet and asked for flagyl instead of baytril as we felt it wasn't working anymore (we've had other buns on flagyl that responded well to it and sweepea has never had it before). So the vet told mum to take him down and she'll give her flagyl. Mum took him to the vet and the vet made mum wait 30mins with sweetpea while she sat at the desk and then called mum in, she looked at sweetpea and said he had a sore in his mouth, and said no to flagyl 'put him to sleep'. Mum came home crying her eyes out.

Anyway we decided we'll have to take sweetpea to another vet, 30mins drive away. Tonight though after me cuddling him and fussing him I went upstairs and dad called me down, sweetpea had had another funny turn. I sat and stroked sweetpea until he got over it, then he got up and nudged my nose with his nose.

We just have no idea whats happened, he'd never had a funny turn until he had his dental. His jaw bone feels bigger but the vet didn't even say what it was (I'm guessing theres some sort of abscess there). I just really don't know what is causing these weird little seizures. He sort of loses control of his back leg, pants and lies flat out for 7-10mins and then gets back to normal.
All my 4 boy buns are brothers and they're all 8years old and 4months old.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, my Sweetpea (he's a boy, just so pretty and sweet we called him Sweetpea), he's been having dentals on and off for about 2years and has developed an abscess which has been kept under control and hasn't seemed to bother him. 3 weeks ago he started dribbling to we took him to the vets to find out our usual vet had left the practice (she was really good with our bunnies), anyway this vet seemed horrible and said he'd need a dental and if that didn't fix him we were to put him to sleep. So we were stunned at what she'd said, we've had other bunnies who've had dental and abscesses but no vet had said that to us. Sweetpea is happy in himself and eats well and loves banana. Anyway we took him to have his dental on Friday the 29th of September, and he was awake from the anesthetic when we picked him up. The veterinary nurse explained he needed antibiotics and the usual aftercare, while the nurse was telling us all of this the vet who had done his dental sat by the desk in front of us and ignored me and mum. Mum said thank you to the vet on the way out and she blanked mum, so the receptionist had to tell the vet mum had said thank you, and all the vet said was if it doesn't work we'll put him down.
Anyway he's been ok but his dribble has come back and he has his tongue sticking to the side slightly, and on Saturday night dad noticed he seemed to fall getting out of his litter box in the sitting room and he started panting, so we comforted him and he did a weird yawn. 10mins after this he was back to normal, so we thought maybe he'd been over stressed. On monday mum phoned the vet and asked for flagyl instead of baytril as we felt it wasn't working anymore (we've had other buns on flagyl that responded well to it and sweepea has never had it before). So the vet told mum to take him down and she'll give her flagyl. Mum took him to the vet and the vet made mum wait 30mins with sweetpea while she sat at the desk and then called mum in and said no to flagyl 'put him to sleep'. Mum came home crying her eyes out.
Anyway we decided we'll have to take sweetpea to another vet, 30mins drive away. Tonight though after me cuddling him and fussing him I went upstairs and dad called me down, sweetpea had had another funny turn. I sat and stroked sweetpea until he got over it, then he got up and nudged my nose with his nose.

We just have no idea whats happened, he'd never had a funny turn until he had his dental. His jaw bone feels bigger but the vet didn't even say what it was (I'm guessing theres some sort of abscess there). I just really don't know what is causing these weird little seizures. He sort of loses control of his back leg, pants and lies flat out for 7-10mins and then gets back to normal.
All my 4 boy buns are brothers and they're all 8years old and 4months old.

Dear Christina, it's so lovely to hear from you again, but sorry to hear about Sweetpea!

To be honest, I really don't want to scare you with loads of suggestions as to what might be going on.

What is certain is that you should see another vet.

You say you have another vet, but if you need any more help, you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I have your PM, and will reply to you shortly :wave:

Hi MightyMax, thank you for your vet savvy location recommendation (I live in West Wales in the sticks lol), I'll have a look though :) I'm wondering if he has E.cuniculi or something?
We will be seeing another vet, that vet is evil I'm sure of it :(

Oh, thats ok about the PM :)

Sweetpea is in bed with my parents in their room now :)

Hi MightyMax, thank you for your vet savvy location recommendation (I live in West Wales in the sticks lol), I'll have a look though :) I'm wondering if he has E.cuniculi or something?
We will be seeing another vet, that vet is evil I'm sure of it :(

Oh, thats ok about the PM :)

Sweetpea is in bed with my parents in their room now :)

Glad to hear he's peaceful overnight.

Yes, it could perhaps be e.cuniculi - you prob know the treatment is 28 days of Panacur?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...tozoonosis.htm

I would be interested in what your other vet has to say ...

I've put a post for you in Rabbit Chat, just to see whether there is anyone that is recommended/good :)

Yeah, he has his blanket under his chair, a pillow by the side of the bed and his food and banana :) He's so spoiled, always nudges me for fuss downstairs :) He goes around me, mum and dad for fuss lol.

You know you just posted those links with vets in my area, well I just found our old vet on there :) So we don't know whether to go 15miles to a closer vet or 17miles to the vet sweetpea use to see.

Yeah, he has his blanket under his chair, a pillow by the side of the bed and his food and banana :) He's so spoiled, always nudges me for fuss downstairs :) He goes around me, mum and dad for fuss lol.

You know you just posted those links with vets in my area, well I just found our old vet on there :) So we don't know whether to go 15miles to a closer vet or 17miles to the vet sweetpea use to see.

Do you know what staff are at either? Is there a favoured vet you'd prefer S/Pea to see?

Sorry, I've just been studying both vets webpages. I'm not sure if I'm allowed but I'm considering this vets in Cardigan http://www.prioryvetscardigan.co.uk/about/veterinary-surgeons.php or the other vet that left the practice we use https://www.vets4pets.com/find-a-practice/vets4pets-vets-in-carmarthen/meet-the-carmarthen-vet-team/

Me and mum are thinking of trying the Priory vets.

Someone may post on the other post I created and help you out here.

Can you call ahead of time and see what their experience with rabbits is? Sometimes there's one vet in the practice that's particularly interested in rabbits and it's a good idea to begin with them :)

Hey we just got back from the vets, we decided to go to the Priory Vets in Cardigan and saw a lovely vet who fussed Sweetpea and she seemed to like him :)
She said he hasn’t got a sore in his mouth, she said he has a swelling on the jaw which could be bone or an abscess. His drooling is because his jaw is swollen and he can’t close his mouth properly.
She’s not sure about the seizures but gave him pancur and said to see how he is.

She said to do the abscess that might be in his jaw would be a big operation and she was worried about how he’d cope at his age.

She was a really nice vet, she gave us flagyl tablets, metacam and pancur.

What bothers me is why the other vet at the other surgery didn’t X-ray him while he had his dental.

Hey we just got back from the vets, we decided to go to the Priory Vets in Cardigan and saw a lovely vet who fussed Sweetpea and she seemed to like him :)
She said he hasn’t got a sore in his mouth, she said he has a swelling on the jaw which could be bone or an abscess. His drooling is because his jaw is swollen and he can’t close his mouth properly.
She’s not sure about the seizures but gave him pancur and said to see how he is.

She said to do the abscess that might be in his jaw would be a big operation and she was worried about how he’d cope at his age.

She was a really nice vet, she gave us flagyl tablets, metacam and pancur.

What bothers me is why the other vet at the other surgery didn’t X-ray him while he had his dental.

I am so glad you've had a good trip to this vet :) That's really heartening!

I am so sorry about his swollen jaw. I have an idea, and will PM you about it rather than discuss it here.

I do understand your confusion about why your rabbit wasn't X-rayed at the other vet whilst he had his dental. I must say that my vet doesn't X-ray either! I think she thinks they will throw up nothing that is of use, and she may well be right. But in some cases it can pinpoint something that makes all the difference.

I think you must ask next time he has a dental :)

Hey Mightymax, sorry for late reply, it was my birthday last Thursday lol.
Sweetpea has been doing good the last few days. His dribbling isn't so bad either and he seems (touch wood) okay :)
He did have a funny turn today though after jumping off the sofa, I'm starting to think he has a trapped nerve in his back. He doesn't act like he's in a seizure when he has his turns, he acts more like he's been hurt and needs to recover.
He has another check up in a week and 2 days anyway, so maybe the vet can check some how. I know the vets we now go to do acupuncture for pets lol, so not sure if it could help him :)

Hey Mightymax, sorry for late reply, it was my birthday last Thursday lol.
Sweetpea has been doing good the last few days. His dribbling isn't so bad either and he seems (touch wood) okay :)
He did have a funny turn today though after jumping off the sofa, I'm starting to think he has a trapped nerve in his back. He doesn't act like he's in a seizure when he has his turns, he acts more like he's been hurt and needs to recover.
He has another check up in a week and 2 days anyway, so maybe the vet can check some how. I know the vets we now go to do acupuncture for pets lol, so not sure if it could help him :)

Hi Christina :)

I hope you had a lovely birthday!

I'm glad he's got another check up. Acupuncture can certainly be very helpful, as can cold laser therapy if your vet does it.
These links are from my own vet:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

Good luck and please let me know how he gets on xx

Hi Mightmax, sorry for the late reply. I've been unwell and things and dismissed from my job, but it's all ok :)
Thank you for the Birthday wishes :)

I've never heard of laser therapy on pets before, it sounds interesting.

Sweetpea had been doing fairly well until the last few days. His back and abscess had been fine, but we stopped the antibiotics for a few days (the vets told us to stop after 2 weeks) but now hes stopped eating :( We've been syringe feeding him. His jaw abscess is bigger too. No one will operate because hes 8 1/2. He's back on his flagyl and he has his painkillers, I'm just hoping he'll pickup again. He looks so sad :( He's having lots of love from all the family though.

Hi Mightmax, sorry for the late reply. I've been unwell and things and dismissed from my job, but it's all ok :)
Thank you for the Birthday wishes :)

I've never heard of laser therapy on pets before, it sounds interesting.

Sweetpea had been doing fairly well until the last few days. His back and abscess had been fine, but we stopped the antibiotics for a few days (the vets told us to stop after 2 weeks) but now hes stopped eating :( We've been syringe feeding him. His jaw abscess is bigger too. No one will operate because hes 8 1/2. He's back on his flagyl and he has his painkillers, I'm just hoping he'll pickup again. He looks so sad :( He's having lots of love from all the family though.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Would the vet think of changing the antibiotic? I don't know whether he's been on penicillin ..

In rabbits where they couldn't have a full GA and operation, I have had their abscesses lanced and drained under sedation with local anaesthetic and it's worked really well.

Hi, umm Sweetpea passed away around 12:30pm today. I’m so sad and upset. I know it was for the best he passed though. I will miss him so much. Lost two of my bunnies this year now. I know he was a good age, but it still hurts.
When I checked him his eyes were dilated and he looked dead, then not long ago me and mum were wrapping him ready and his eye looked like it had closed a little. I’m worried he wasn’t dead earlier, but I’m pretty sure he was.

Hi, umm Sweetpea passed away around 12:30pm today. I’m so sad and upset. I know it was for the best he passed though. I will miss him so much. Lost two of my bunnies this year now. I know he was a good age, but it still hurts.
When I checked him his eyes were dilated and he looked dead, then not long ago me and mum were wrapping him ready and his eye looked like it had closed a little. I’m worried he wasn’t dead earlier, but I’m pretty sure he was.

Christina, I am so very sorry to read this :(

It's always so difficult, no matter how long they have been with us. I know it hurts terribly x hugs x

Back