• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for Anaesthetic to wear off?

Amundawah

New Kit
My bunny went for his dental today (it turned out the spurs on his teeth were what caused the stasis) he's been home about two hours and he's still really groggy and lethargic. He's hunched up in the corner and when he does attempt to move he staggers like he's drunk and his legs can't hold him up.
I know he was the second procedure they did and they start doing them at 11 so, is 5/6 hours enough for anaestic to wear off? When should I be concerned? I'm trying to entice him to eat but he really doesn't seem interested in anything... any ideas?

My bunny went for his dental today (it turned out the spurs on his teeth were what caused the stasis) he's been home about two hours and he's still really groggy and lethargic. He's hunched up in the corner and when he does attempt to move he staggers like he's drunk and his legs can't hold him up.
I know he was the second procedure they did and they start doing them at 11 so, is 5/6 hours enough for anaestic to wear off? When should I be concerned? I'm trying to entice him to eat but he really doesn't seem interested in anything... any ideas?

How long a Rabbit may take to recover from a GA can depend on many things including the drugs used, the age of the Rabbit, whether the Rabbit is over-weight, amongst other things. In some cases it can be 24 hours before Bunny is fully back to normal. Keeping Bunny warm and encouraging him to drink will help. If he has not eaten anything for himself at all after another couple of hours you will need to syringe feed him. Did the Vet provide you with some sytinges and some Critical Care to enable you to do this ?

Hi there :)

It all depends on the anaesthetic used by the vet. And also, sometimes more crucially, what kind of pain relief was given. Do you have your receipt from the vet and see what he was given?

If he was given Buprenorphine, or Vetergesic as a pain killer, that takes several hours to leave the system and would leave him very groggy in the meantime.

I think if he doesn't eat in a couple of hours I would syringe him some Critical Care mixed with some organic baby food, or some recovery food. You can also mix the recovery food with water and make it runny to give him more fluids.

If you're at all worried you should call your vet back.

Hi. My rabbit had a dental recently. He was walking normaly when I picked him up, but really wasn't eating by himself for two or three days, I had to syringe feed him and then he just decided to eat by himself. He's doing really well right now. I think your rabbit should be feeling better in 24 hours or so, if not then you should consult your vet. Also if he's not eating, then syringe feeding is needed. Pain relief is also important after a dental, so if you wasn't given any consult your vet to get some. Hope your bunny is feeling better soon [emoji4]

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Thanks for your replies. I ended up calling the vet back and after leaving him for a while and him getting no better, they asked to see him back again- so we took a trip back.
The vet said he thinks he's just groggy and disorientated because of the drugs and said they probably let him out prematurely because he looked more alert than he actually was. He was really worried about stasis setting in again so gave him an injection to get his gut moving and lots of critical care. He also wants to see him again tomorrow morning just to be on the safe side!

Thanks for your replies. I ended up calling the vet back and after leaving him for a while and him getting no better, they asked to see him back again- so we took a trip back.
The vet said he thinks he's just groggy and disorientated because of the drugs and said they probably let him out prematurely because he looked more alert than he actually was. He was really worried about stasis setting in again so gave him an injection to get his gut moving and lots of critical care. He also wants to see him again tomorrow morning just to be on the safe side!

Good, I am pleased. So much better to be safe than sorry x

Back