• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance Claims

MightyMax

Banned
... How long before you're paid?

And do you know how long it takes for your vet surgery to send them off?

Thanks in advance :wave:

I'm with Petplan and it took about 2 weeks. The vet's standard was to send off claims within 5 days of the form being filled out.

I'm with PP. On average they took 7 working days to pay a claim. My vets took 4 days to send off the claims on average.

Animal Friends were the worst for paying claims and used to take months when I worked in practice.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm with PP. On average they took 7 working days to pay a claim. My vets took 4 days to send off the claims on average.

Animal Friends were the worst for paying claims and used to take months when I worked in practice.

How long do you reckon is a reasonable/unreasonable length of time to wait before the vet actually submits the claim?

And for the record - no, I am not vet bashing (not aimed at you dp!) :lol:

How long do you reckon is a reasonable/unreasonable length of time to wait before the vet actually submits the claim?

And for the record - no, I am not vet bashing (not aimed at you dp!) [emoji38]
If it's a practice with reception staff, I'd say 5 working days is acceptable.
If they don't have reception staff I'd say about 7 to 10 working days would be acceptable. Any more than that and I'd start getting a bit annoyed - mainly because the claims have to be sent by the vet practice a client gets no choice in the matter.

Our vets would usually have them sent off in a week - two weeks but depends on staffing (if you know what I mean)

Actual claims depend on who you’re with, I’m with animal friends and because they have an online portal claims take mins for the admin/nurse to enter the details and when I claimed for my kitten Rupert I had an email that night saying it went through when it’s usually 24hrs. You should be able to ask your company for a rough idea.

If it needs claiming fast you can always express that to your vet and get a rush put on it if poss.

Hope that helps :-/ x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vets can take up to 2 weeks - then it's another 2 weeks before I get payment from PP - depends on whether vet has supplied all necessary info which they don't always do.

My daughter's a vet nurse so she nudges one of the staff to get our claims sent through (perk of the job lol) so I can't comment on timing for the practice to process the forms.

We've always had a payout within 14 days of the insurance co. receiving the forms. The only time it took longer was when they requested more info.... and it dragged into about 3 months!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My daughter's a vet nurse so she nudges one of the staff to get our claims sent through (perk of the job lol) so I can't comment on timing for the practice to process the forms.

We've always had a payout within 14 days of the insurance co. receiving the forms. The only time it took longer was when they requested more info.... and it dragged into about 3 months!!!

Ah thank you Karen ... I think you deserve that perk of the job .. :)

Three months is a long time. I hope it wasn't a massive claim and you were left short in the meantime? That's the purpose of insurance - a constant drip rather than a huge whammy :shock:

It was around £500 for hydrotherapy and we'd paid out for it over the course of around 6 months by the time we put the claim in so, yes, speedier payment would have been nice lol.

Luckily the major claim (around £3k) went through without a hitch and we weren't struggling without the £500 but it could have been an issue for many people.

We were just really unlucky though - I think anything that could go wrong did hence why it dragged on and on.

It was around £500 for hydrotherapy and we'd paid out for it over the course of around 6 months by the time we put the claim in so, yes, speedier payment would have been nice lol.

Luckily the major claim (around £3k) went through without a hitch and we weren't struggling without the £500 but it could have been an issue for many people.

We were just really unlucky though - I think anything that could go wrong did hence why it dragged on and on.

Thanks Karen.

3k - guess that wasn't a rabbit! Though they could run up such a bill I am sure :)

No, not a bunny. I'm not sure a rabbit would like hydrotherapy much either although I know they have a couple of cats on their books. I can't imagine ever getting my cat in a pool without losing a limb though lol

Back