• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip fur pulling again

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hey everyone.

So after we got the all clear from the vets that they can't medically find anything wrong with her. We were told to let her recover for 6 weeks.

Her fur was almost back to full length... however two nights ago, she really started pulling and is once again bald under her neck!

So it's likely to be something behavioural, so are trying to not give her any attention when she does it. In case we are encouraging it.

She did do something odd last night though. She went to lick her back leg and stuck it out in front (yoga like) and licked the air above her leg instead? But it was like she hasn't noticed her leg was two inches away???? It was really bizarre.

Anyone else's bun done this?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hey everyone.

So after we got the all clear from the vets that they can't medically find anything wrong with her. We were told to let her recover for 6 weeks.

Her fur was almost back to full length... however two nights ago, she really started pulling and is once again bald under her neck!

So it's likely to be something behavioural, so are trying to not give her any attention when she does it. In case we are encouraging it.

She did do something odd last night though. She went to lick her back leg and stuck it out in front (yoga like) and licked the air above her leg instead? But it was like she hasn't noticed her leg was two inches away???? It was really bizarre.

I have know a Rabbit to do something similar as a result of nerve pain in their lower spine. But that's not to say that it is always the cause. If it was just a one off thing I would not worry about it too much at this stage.

Sorry to hear that Pip is fur pulling again, it must be very frustrating for you to not be able to identify a trigger.

Hey everyone.

I replied on your other thread x

I have know a Rabbit to do something similar as a result of nerve pain in their lower spine. But that's not to say that it is always the cause. If it was just a one off thing I would not worry about it too much at this stage.

Sorry to hear that Pip is fur pulling again, it must be very frustrating for you to not be able to identify a trigger.
Hi Jack's Jane,

Ok that's interesting I shall see if she does it anymore she's definitely done it twice.

The buns are both exploring their new home (we rotated their manor and runspace) so they are busy pooping everywhere. Lol

Hi Jack's Jane,

Ok that's interesting I shall see if she does it anymore she's definitely done it twice.

The buns are both exploring their new home (we rotated their manor and runspace) so they are busy pooping everywhere. Lol

All new homes need to be anointed with plenty of poo !! :lol:

[emoji38] Bless xx
I've just come home and tried to clean out their bedroom. Which they have now decided needs wee in it!!!! And Miss Pip gave me two nips on my thigh! I think she likes to live in squalor!!!!

Haha. Buns are so strange.

I've just come home and tried to clean out their bedroom. Which they have now decided needs wee in it!!!! And Miss Pip gave me two nips on my thigh! I think she likes to live in squalor!!!!

Haha. Buns are so strange.

Oh nips on the thigh - I remember that well :roll:

Either 'you're doing something we don't like' or 'you're not feeding us fast enough' .. in my case anyway :lol:

I was just sent this thread by another user, my rabbit is doing the same thing!
Our vet couldn’t find anything wrong with Cuppy and said it was stress related (we are moving) she recommended I put silver sulfadiazine on her neck where she is barbering but Cuppy just licks it right off! Are you doing anything to help Pip? I’m considering putting coconut oil on Cuppy’s little patch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our vet couldn’t find anything wrong with Cuppy and said it was stress related (we are moving) she recommended I put silver sulfadiazine on her neck where she is barbering but Cuppy just licks it right off! Are you doing anything to help Pip? I’m considering putting coconut oil on Cuppy’s little patch..

Hi there :wave:

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. I have experienced this in one of mine and every test under the sun was done by the vet.

In the end I found a cream that worked for him, but I realise it's a very difficult one to crack.

Flamazine is a good cream (silver sulfadiazine ) but I also didn't find this worked. Coconut oil won't do any harm but to be honest I would be surprised if that worked.

Has your vet suggested any diagnostics?

(sorry to hijack your thread Merv, but wanted to answer CC)

Hi CC .

Sorry for the slow reply I was at work all day.

Sorry your bun is pulling fur too. Is your bun eating it or just licking at the area?

Has it only just happened since you've started moving?

We have not put any cream on Pips patch because the vet advised us not too. Because it's near her mouth they were worried it might stop her eating. Also Pip only pulls/eats her fur for a few days each month rather than constantly.

Have you tried pet remedy its a plug in that relaxes pets. We use this when there are stressful occasions. E.g vet visits, guests or builders etc. This definitely relaxes them. However it didn't help with Pip, but might help your bun if it's a stress related thing. We don't think stress is causing pips issues.

Hi there :wave:

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. I have experienced this in one of mine and every test under the sun was done by the vet.

In the end I found a cream that worked for him, but I realise it's a very difficult one to crack.

Flamazine is a good cream (silver sulfadiazine ) but I also didn't find this worked. Coconut oil won't do any harm but to be honest I would be surprised if that worked.

Has your vet suggested any diagnostics?

(sorry to hijack your thread Merv, but wanted to answer CC)
Don't worry MM. Hijack away.

Hopefully we can help CCs bun. X

Hi CC .

Sorry for the slow reply I was at work all day.

Sorry your bun is pulling fur too. Is your bun eating it or just licking at the area?

Has it only just happened since you've started moving?

We have not put any cream on Pips patch because the vet advised us not too. Because it's near her mouth they were worried it might stop her eating. Also Pip only pulls/eats her fur for a few days each month rather than constantly.

Have you tried pet remedy its a plug in that relaxes pets. We use this when there are stressful occasions. E.g vet visits, guests or builders etc. This definitely relaxes them. However it didn't help with Pip, but might help your bun if it's a stress related thing. We don't think stress is causing pips issues.

That’s okay! I’m assuming you’re in the UK? I’m in Seattle so I was asleep before! Lol I have heard of the plug in pet remedies for cats and dogs but never thought to try them for the buns that’s a great tip!
It seems like Cuppy it just licking the area but I haven’t seen any fur anywhere so she may be eating it as well.
And yes it only started since moving, we have a lot of furniture we have moved from the apartment and they were some of her favorite hiding spots. (We are moving slowly little at a time)
It seems Cuppy is licking at the spot whenever she gets stressed and making it bigger and bigger though her licking her raw skin is making it rough which is why the vet recommended putting a cream on the irritated skin.
A lot of the properties of the medicated cream they recommended have been found in coconut oil which is why I was considering using that instead, much safer for her to ingest if she licks it off. I’ll attach a picture when I can.

Thank you!

That’s okay! I’m assuming you’re in the UK? I’m in Seattle so I was asleep before! Lol I have heard of the plug in pet remedies for cats and dogs but never thought to try them for the buns that’s a great tip!
It seems like Cuppy it just licking the area but I haven’t seen any fur anywhere so she may be eating it as well.
And yes it only started since moving, we have a lot of furniture we have moved from the apartment and they were some of her favorite hiding spots. (We are moving slowly little at a time)
It seems Cuppy is licking at the spot whenever she gets stressed and making it bigger and bigger though her licking her raw skin is making it rough which is why the vet recommended putting a cream on the irritated skin.
A lot of the properties of the medicated cream they recommended have been found in coconut oil which is why I was considering using that instead, much safer for her to ingest if she licks it off. I’ll attach a picture when I can.

Thank you!

Hi.

Yes I am in the UK.

Ok that's slightly different to my pip because she only eats/pulls her fur for a few days a month. Then the fur grows back. So her skin doesn't get sore.

I'm glad you are going to try the pet remedy yes it's got great reviews from other owners.

We have looked into making a t shirt to cover the area. However we decided against it after talking to our vet. Currently the fur is passing through her system howver if she ate loads of material is could cause a blockage and would be a major issue. So be really careful with this idea.

Have you tried extra toys, giving her more attention or hiding her food to keep her busy???

You could also try rescue remedy which is a natural remedy you can add to their water.

Are you moving soon?

Hi.

Yes I am in the UK.

Ok that's slightly different to my pip because she only eats/pulls her fur for a few days a month. Then the fur grows back. So her skin doesn't get sore.

I'm glad you are going to try the pet remedy yes it's got great reviews from other owners.

We have looked into making a t shirt to cover the area. However we decided against it after talking to our vet. Currently the fur is passing through her system howver if she ate loads of material is could cause a blockage and would be a major issue. So be really careful with this idea.

Have you tried extra toys, giving her more attention or hiding her food to keep her busy???

You could also try rescue remedy which is a natural remedy you can add to their water.

Are you moving soon?

I have a rotation of toys I change up for them but since she started this I have pulled them all out but she just seems uninterested [emoji20]

I’m going to be completely moved out in just over a month.

I will give rescue remedy a try too I hate she is so stressed out she has gotten so much more timid since this started which is completely not like her. I’m assuming that’s because I keep having to pick her up to examine the spot which she absolutely hates.

I am going to try to just give her some space for a bit and see if she starts playing and coming out of hiding.

I have a rotation of toys I change up for them but since she started this I have pulled them all out but she just seems uninterested [emoji20]

I’m going to be completely moved out in just over a month.

I will give rescue remedy a try too I hate she is so stressed out she has gotten so much more timid since this started which is completely not like her. I’m assuming that’s because I keep having to pick her up to examine the spot which she absolutely hates.

I am going to try to just give her some space for a bit and see if she starts playing and coming out of hiding.

Hey.

She might also be picking up on your stress of moving too. Could you make her a cardboard castle to play in out of your moving boxes? My buns love their castle.

Hey.

She might also be picking up on your stress of moving too. Could you make her a cardboard castle to play in out of your moving boxes? My buns love their castle.

Yes I could that’s a great idea!!

I attached some pictures
341a909e4a0f06c22cc2c6bea36928dd.heic
bce01f9ed3a316cf96b0bae86d0e7be4.heic

Aww that does look sore. Has she removed the fur from above her mouth too. It looks very pink there

She is typically pretty pink there, she is a big licker and the vet wasn’t really concerned about it.

She slobbers all over me when she licks me lol

Back