• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi from another newbie

Raj

New Kit
Hi folks, i'm glad i have discovered your forum as you seem like a very friendly and knowledgable bunch.

My name is Raj, but more importantly my rabbits name is Couscus. He is a 3 year old albino lopeared dwarf. He used to live in doors but as we have a huge garden i have recently had a huge run and hutch built for him.

I have a couple of questions for:

1) as he was a house rabbit all this time I am worried that he wont be able to cope with living outside in the upcoming winter. At the mo, we bring him back into the house in the evening (where he has his own room!!) Currently his hutch has the front almost completely open to the elements. I will probably put a perspex door on the front with a small opening so he can come and go as he pleases. My question is "will he survive outside?"

2) As he has plenty of space and i would like to get him some company, he has been neutered about 4 weeks ago and is now getting back to his old mischievious self. I have been adviced to get him a female companion, but would it matter what breed?

Well thanks for listeneing and if anyone knows of a female {rabbit!! :wink: } in need of a home in the north London area. please let me know.

Raj & Couscus

Hi Raj and couscus.

Love your bunnies name, any piccies?

There are others on here with more experience than me to answer your questions.
but I wouldn't think it matters what breed rabbit companion you go for, is there a rescue near by where you could take couscus to choose for himself :wink:

Hello and welcome to you both :)

I'm Sage, Mama of two semi house rabbits; Branwen (the princess) and Casey (the hooligan). No idea what breeds they are, probably a bit of everything.

In answer to your questions...

1) During the cold weather we bring their hutch in the garage, which is a bit more sheltered from the elements. They probably could survive it, but it seems a bit mean leaving them outside (especially as they aren't really used to it).

2) Rabbits don't care about breeds anywhere near as much as humans. What really matters is that everyone 'clicks'. It's also a good idea to pair two about the same age.

To find a girlfriend for Couscus; check the rabbits in need forum here, or search the rabbit rehome database.
That should help, good luck.

Hi Raj and Couscus - welcome :wave:

I agree it would probably be best to take Couscus along to a local rescue, and let him pick his lucky lady :)

Are you asking whether Couscus will be alright outside overnight in the winter, or do you mean that he will be outside during the day, and then still coming in at night. My bunny Rob goes outside most days in the winter (unless it's really bad weather), but he is always in the house overnight.

Rabbits get winter winter coats but if they are kept indoors then they don't develop the same thick fur that an outdoor rabbit would to be protected from the elements.

To be an outdoor rabbit during winter he will need a weather/draft/damp proof bed made of thick wood (not thin ply) with a door way just big enough for him to fit inside. This needs to be lined with plenty of bedding and for added snugnous you could include vet bed and newspaper. As well as this bed area he should also have a sheltered area to sit as many rabbits spent alot of time not sat in bed. Thats when perspex is good as you can cover the side of the hutch/run to offer some protection from the wind/rain.

An night you can use blankets to cover the hutch alltogether with just a small gap for ventilation.

Tam

Lynn Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Raj and Couscus - welcome

I agree it would probably be best to take Couscus along to a local rescue, and let him pick his lucky lady

So would that be some sort of rabbit dating agency??!! :lol:

thanks for all your replys, I meant that he is spending the days outside now, but would he be able to survive nights outside?

(Obviosly i keep an eye on the weather and we bring him in accordingly.)

Hiya Raj,

Totti was a house bunny initially then I moved him outdoors. I did this in summer so that he could acclimatise to the weather and he survived fine last winter outdoors. So, could you keep him as an indoor this winter then move him out next year? My two didn't mind the winter, once acclimatised, and would even hop around in the snow but its just getting them used to it in the first place. I don't think its a good idea to keep changing them in/out/in/out as they do change their fur according to the temperature and the hokey kokey would really screw them up :lol:

Back