• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after dental

Linuxete

Warren Scout
Hi. My 1 year old lionhead rabbit Sam was really picky about his food and acting weird when eating, so I took him to our vet. He had a dental to trim his molars, but according to our vet it wasn't bad, no big spurs or any cuts, although they removed one of his molars, because it was simply loose. They did an X-ray of his skull, he has long tooth roots, but they are long only in his lower jaw, upper one is fine. He went well through the procedure, they gave him antibiotic and painkiller injections. When he came back home he ate a bit of dill, but nothing since then. It's been almost 2 days, but he isn't eating for himself. He's drinking on his own though, seems to be interested in food, but when he starts to eat just has a little bit and drops the rest. He hasn't pooped since his dental. I think he's in pain, because he grinds his teeth sometimes. I'm trying to force feed him, but he just fights it and spits it out. How long can it take them to eat on their own again? What should I do? I'm at a total loss right now. Hope you could give some advices. Thanks in advance.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Hi. My 1 year old lionhead rabbit Sam was really picky about his food and acting weird when eating, so I took him to our vet. He had a dental to trim his molars, but according to our vet it wasn't bad, no big spurs or any cuts, although they removed one of his molars, because it was simply loose. They did an X-ray of his skull, he has long tooth roots, but they are long only in his lower jaw, upper one is fine. He went well through the procedure, they gave him antibiotic and painkiller injections. When he came back home he ate a bit of dill, but nothing since then. It's been almost 2 days, but he isn't eating for himself. He's drinking on his own though, seems to be interested in food, but when he starts to eat just has a little bit and drops the rest. He hasn't pooped since his dental. I think he's in pain, because he grinds his teeth sometimes. I'm trying to force feed him, but he just fights it and spits it out. How long can it take them to eat on their own again? What should I do? I'm at a total loss right now. Hope you could give some advices. Thanks in advance.

Hi there and I am sorry to hear about Sam

It's normal not to eat after a dental, but by now I would hope he would be getting better.

Have you been given gut motility meds for him? Have you got painkillers to administer at home?

The hole where the molar was could well still be sore. I would syringe feed him, and also soften some pellets. I do this sometimes by grating up veg such as parsnip and carrot and mixing some favourite pellets in there to soften them. I also put some leafy veg into a food processor and chop them up into tiny pieces (you may not have one).

It sounds as though he needs a little help until his mouth heals up a bit.

He's been given painkiller today, it was Ketoprofen I think. No we haven't got any gut motility drugs, but I think I'll ask for some tommorow morning, because he's definetely going to a vet. Syringe feeding is really hard with him, he's fighting and most of it gets on me. But something gets in I think. He's getting mashed carrots, because he's not eating any pellets. He's able to wash himself, so I don't know how bad his mouth hurts. Maybe it's his stomach that hurts more, I don't know.
What painkiller is better in his case? Maybe it's not strong enough? What gut motility drugs should I ask for? Also maybe someone could give me advice on force feeding techniques? Thanks in advance.

He's been given painkiller today, it was Ketoprofen I think. No we haven't got any gut motility drugs, but I think I'll ask for some tommorow morning, because he's definetely going to a vet. Syringe feeding is really hard with him, he's fighting and most of it gets on me. But something gets in I think. He's getting mashed carrots, because he's not eating any pellets. He's able to wash himself, so I don't know how bad his mouth hurts. Maybe it's his stomach that hurts more, I don't know.
What painkiller is better in his case? Maybe it's not strong enough? What gut motility drugs should I ask for? Also maybe someone could give me advice on force feeding techniques? Thanks in advance.

Hi there

Ketoprofen is similar to Metacam (which we use here a lot) as they are both non steroidal anti-inflammatories.

Yes, get some zantac also, to protect his stomach whist he's not eating. It reduces the acidity of the stomach and therefore the risk of gastric ulceration. It also acts as a mild pro kinetic so useful there also.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

Some info on analgesia here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

Regarding gut motility meds:

Metoclopromide acts on the upper GI tract and so increases the rate at which the stomach empties into the small intestines.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metoclopramide.htm

I have also used Cisapride - not so easy to obtain:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

Prokinetics are in this article:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

With tooth root elongation pain can be a significant factor. Especially after a Dental as the burring of the crown causes lots of disturbance to the tooth root nerves. So biting down on hard food will make the pain worse. Good analgesic cover and softened food may be necessary for several days after a Dental until the tooth root nerves settle down.

Ref radiographic image, bottom right

Tooth root elongation can be a condition that involves chronic pain, so it may be that analgesic cover will be something that is needed daily as the condition progresses.

At the moment it may be necessary for some prokinetics to be administered to promote gut motility. These are likely to be Metoclopramide and Ranitidine. The former increases the motility of the upper GI tract, the latter is on the lower GI tract. Ranitidine is primarily a drug that reduces the acidity of the stomach. Whilst a 'normal' Rabbit's stomach has a very high acidity, far more so than that of humans, an anorexic Rabbit will develop GI tract ulceration, Ranitidine can help minimise this risk.

Another analgesic that can be given is Tramadol.

There are some other options too:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

''In rabbits, a single oral dose of 11 mg/kg of tramadol did not reach plasma concentrations consistent with analgesia in humans.9 In the same study the M1 metabolite reached therapeutic levels for only 45 minutes in 2/6 rabbits. Anecdotally, doses of 10 mg/kg orally, once or twice daily, have been suggested for use in rabbits''

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1557506316301690

This article may also be useful to read;

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

I hope that you have a useful consultation with your Vet today.

Thanks for your kind advices. He's starting to slowly eat by himself. First thing he started to eat today was his hay, he also ate some dill. It doesn't seem to be painful for him to eat, because he even tried to eat some cardboard today. I'm still force feeding him, but it's getting harder to feed him, since he's fighting a lot more now. He's still not interested in all of his food and not quite himself at the moment, but definetely better than yesterday. Our vet gave him different painkiller, gut motility drugs and vitamin C. If not eating tommorow, they will give him an IV drip. Hope we don't need that. Thanks again for all of your help MightyMax and Jack's-Jane.

Thanks for your kind advices. He's starting to slowly eat by himself. First thing he started to eat today was his hay, he also ate some dill. It doesn't seem to be painful for him to eat, because he even tried to eat some cardboard today. I'm still force feeding him, but it's getting harder to feed him, since he's fighting a lot more now. He's still not interested in all of his food and not quite himself at the moment, but definetely better than yesterday. Our vet gave him different painkiller, gut motility drugs and vitamin C. If not eating tommorow, they will give him an IV drip. Hope we don't need that. Thanks again for all of your help MightyMax and Jack's-Jane.

You're welcome.

I am glad to hear he's been eating a little by himself. And especially that he's been at the hay!

And thank you so much for your good wishes for my bunny. I now return the wishes for your little one x

I am glad your bunny is starting to slowly eat by himself. Has he been drinking on his own? Fluids are essential to keep the contents of the gut hydrated so they can pass more easily. A water bowl may be better than a water bottle if he has difficulty drinking. Sub Q or IV fluids may be required. Syringe feeding a reluctant bunny can be difficult. The consistency is important so it is not too dry or too runny. When feeding from a syringe give small amounts at a time and allow the bunny time to swallow before giving more. Some bunnies will also eat recovery food or freshly softened food on their own.
Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes for a full recovery.

You could even try leaving some recovery food in a food bowl he may slurp it up himself I have often done this and they take the recovery food themselves that way glad he has started to eat a little bit x

MightyMax, Thank You! I'm still keeping you and your bunny in my prayers. Happy he's making some improvement.
Sam's doing a lot better today, eating a lot by himself and making some poops [emoji4] Our vet was really happy about his improvement. Gave him same meds as yesterday. He's drinking loads of water by himself so IV was not needed. Thanks again for all the help!

MightyMax, Thank You! I'm still keeping you and your bunny in my prayers. Happy he's making some improvement.
Sam's doing a lot better today, eating a lot by himself and making some poops [emoji4] Our vet was really happy about his improvement. Gave him same meds as yesterday. He's drinking loads of water by himself so IV was not needed. Thanks again for all the help!

Linuxete :wave:

Thank you for your lovely well wishes x

I popped back to see how Sam is doing now. I hope his progress continues?

Back