• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Guinea Pig care.

beck

Mama Doe
Sorry this isn't about rabbits, but I know alot of you also have Guinea Pigs.
I have never had one but want to find out more about looking after a pair, can anyone point me in the right direction of some good websites?

My main queries at the moment are indoors or outdoors?

Do any of you have GP outside all year round?

Would a ferplast cage in a poppy playhouse type shed be ok in the winter or would that be too cold for them? (a 5x2 hutch would take up most of the space)
or if they came in at night during the winter and out in the day would the change in temperature be too much?
Would it be better to stick to indoors with a run for warm sunny days?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get things right from the start.

I have had lots of piggies over the years the ones i have now used to be outdoor pigs but about 5 years ago i decieded to bring them in the house they never went back out!
the piggies i used to keep a few years ago lived in hutches inside a shed all the ones i had didnt mind this and were quite hardy.

My web site has sections on guinea pig care (www.rngp.org)

If your having baby piggy's then they would be better off indoors for their first winter. Same if they have been use to living indoors.

Mine have lived outdoors for the last 6 years with no problems.As do all of the rescues. Even if that means spending time cooling them down if they have been living indoors. As long as they have pleanty of dry bedding. It is also a good idea to have a plastic sheet or something along those lines to put over the front of the hutch to keep the cold and rain out.
Also I never put mine out onto frosted grass. Although if I know frost is forecast then I cover the runs at night so that they can be used first thing in the morning.
Guineas really don't cope with great changes in temperture and would be likely to become ill if moving from nice watm house in the morning into very cold air during the day.
They can also catch the human cold so be careful if you have a cold yourself.
I would think that a ferplast cage in a playhouse would be quite cold for them. Unless they had a cosy house within it and a towel or the like across the wire bit of the cage in that particular bit.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions I'm sure others on here will have other things to add.

Hi,
Guineas can be kept outside all year round but it isn't ideal. As long as they have a companion to snuggle up to, and plenty of dry hay to bury themselves in, and are in a sheltered position with a cover on the hutch, they will keep warm enough. It is less the cold than the damp that is likely to affect them as they are very prone to skin complaints in our damp climate. A shed is better, and the house better still. But it could be disasterous to put them outside during the day if they are used to being in a warm house.

Most of mine go in the shed during the winter, taking turns to exercise on the shed floor. A lucky fewlive in the house and exercise on the kitchen floor. They make surprisingly little mess as they spend most of their time in the litter trays of hay placed in corners, leaving all their doings there.

With a shed and just one pair you could let them live on the floor with a warm box of hay to sleep in. I don't think a ferplast cage would be warm enough. Some of mine are still in these, but will go into the wooden ones from the garden when the weather turns and I bring them rest into the shed. The ferplasts will be used in the house.

Peter Gurney's website is a good one for piggies:
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~petergurney/

HTH

I know many people keep guinea pigs inside, but I found that they were a bit whiffy, no matter how scrupulous I was in daily cleaning! My rabbit lives inside and doesn't smell at all. Maybe it's just my 2 boars, but they are strong smelling - not that I care, but sometimes family do! Litter training bunny was a breeze, but I had no luck with the piggies, altho I think some people have had. I find they pee and poop everywhere. So outside they went! We don't get terribly cold temps here, around 3 deg C below zero at worst, and we do get heavy frosts. I had a big above-ground hutch made and as long as the piggies are kept in a dry, clean, draught-free place with plenty of fresh warm bedding in an enclosed separate 'bedroom', they thrive outside. I worry about them more in the summer, when although they have shade, they still feel the heat and I have to give them a marble slab and frozen slicker-pads wrapped in a towel to sit on. I also worry about flies in summer, so winter is a breeze compared with summer. I love my guinea pigs and I'd just love to have them inside.

Hiya Beck

I have two piggies but both are old girlies now - they are around 7 years old so I bring them in during the winter months - they are soooo funny now they are like little old ladies as they snooze most of the day.

I think due to their age and the fear of respiratory problems I'd feel safer bringing mine in during the winter although it is tempting to pop them outside as their outdoor hutch is two tier and larger.

I've converted a puppy cage for them in the bedroom and put logs and hidy holes for them to play.

I think I've always found the GP are a little messier than bunnies - and although I've tried I've never had an success with my two in litter training - although it sounds from these posts as though it can be done.

Good luck with your piggies and hope this helps.

Hiya

I have two piggies and have had no problems with them being outside in a big hutch all year round, I suppose it depends what time of year you get them to where they live, I got mine last spring /summer and therefor settled in to winter quite easily and steadily!

As others have said as long as they have plenty of fresh bedding daily (mine cant move for hay) and hidey snuggly places then they will be fine I also cover the front of the hutch with a thick blanket and thick plastic to keep the elements out and the warmth in! this also helps for the dreaded fireworks soon to start.....

And of course they still need a daily run about and mine use the concrete in the winter and I put readigrass down for thema s they don't get to nibble the lawn as it's mostly mud in the winter :lol:

Piggies are better at tolerating the heat than the cold.

Thanks everyone, lots of different ideas for me to think about!

Not sure if the rescue near me has guinea pigs, when I ring them in the next couple of weeks I'll ask. -as I have a ferplast cage that will be unoccupied shortly after that (hopefully if bonding goes well) then it probably makes sense to have them indoors in that.

I'll see how old they are and what their used to before making any decisions, my daughter is keen to have them indoors so I'll have to think about where to put them where they can have a run around as well, I imagine they can get into quite small spaces!

I never worry about the cold as much as the heat. I personally think guinea pigs are more at risk from excessive heat and I believe they get heat stroke quite quickly. Most animals can tolerate cold conditions as long as they are not wet or damp or exposed to wind and they are in good condition and well fed. In winter it's a breeze to provide plenty of warm bedding and good food, compared to worrying about them getting overheated in summer. I agree tho that old or sick piggies should be inside, and mine certainly will be if they show any signs of not being able to cope.

Back