• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Consistent wet tail?

Hi everyone, this is my first post! I've been lurking for a while now.
My rabbit called "Mal" has a consistent problem with messy bottom and wet feet. Both the underside of her tail and her feet are wet with urine, and emit a foul odor. She's always been stained since she is white but these days she's wet. I have given her butt baths, but it does not eliminate the issue. Please keep in mind I can't afford to take her to a vet at the moment, which I know is inevitable. Any advice?? Some relevant information for you:

*Although I use female pronouns because i'm in denial, my rabbit is a male. :D Sorry for the confusion. (Explanation in bio)
*Neutered
*Cage-free and litterbox-trained
*I use a puppy pee pad as the base of her litterbox, and paper litter/hay on top. Replace daily.
*There have been no changes in her litter set up since day 1.
*Approximately 6 months old
*Eating cecals as normal
*Doesn't seem to be in pain, or otherwise off in any way
*Healthy weight
*She has been randomly marking my room with urine but she has never been perfect in that regard. (Could this be an incontinence issue?)

Thanks in advance and much love!

Hi, sorry to point out the obvious, but she really does need to see a vet as it could be a uti infection and this won't get better on its own!

Is there a particular reason why you can't? if it's cost, there are certain avenues to help with funding and also I'm sure a vet would be happy to set up a payment plan?

Also how much water does she tend to drink? Does she have a bowl as this can sometimes make it easier for them to drink from? Xx

I hate to have to say it but unfortunately this is a problem that needs to be seen and treated by a rabbit-savvy vet. I completely sympathise with your financial problem, I've been there myself several times.
Are you in the UK? If so you may be able to get help if you're on a low income from the RSPCA, Blue Cross or PDSA. The RSPCA helped me with my Snowflake when she has a severe episode of stasis and I couldn't afford her treatment earlier this year.

These pages may help: http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/wet-tail-in-rabbits-urine-scalding/

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

As frustrating as I know this is going to be to hear, sadly 'she' really does need to see a vet or she'll only get worse. If you're in the UK it would be worth phoning the places I've mentioned above to see if there's anything they can do to help. There is also a loan company for vets bills called Carefree Credit. I've never used them personally - I was refused as my income was too low. But it might be an option? Be sure to read the terms thoroughly first, though, in case there's anything hidden in there that I've missed.

Something that might help in the future: It might be a good idea to set up a 'vet fund' for your rabbit. You could also consider insurance, though bear in mind this is now a pre-existing condition and won't be covered. If that isn't an option I would strongly recommend setting aside some savings, even if you can't afford a lot, to contribute towards future vets bills. Unfortunately you'll probably need them eventually, rabbits can be expensive!
This is what I've done and whenever I get anything left over, even a few pounds or even a few pence, it all goes into a savings account towards vets fees. You'd be surprised how quickly even small amounts add up.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I've been lurking for a while now.
My rabbit called "Mal" has a consistent problem with messy bottom and wet feet. Both the underside of her tail and her feet are wet with urine, and emit a foul odor. She's always been stained since she is white but these days she's wet. I have given her butt baths, but it does not eliminate the issue. Please keep in mind I can't afford to take her to a vet at the moment, which I know is inevitable. Any advice?? Some relevant information for you:

*Although I use female pronouns because i'm in denial, my rabbit is a male. :D Sorry for the confusion. (Explanation in bio)
*Neutered
*Cage-free and litterbox-trained
*I use a puppy pee pad as the base of her litterbox, and paper litter/hay on top. Replace daily.
*There have been no changes in her litter set up since day 1.
*Approximately 6 months old
*Eating cecals as normal
*Doesn't seem to be in pain, or otherwise off in any way
*Healthy weight
*She has been randomly marking my room with urine but she has never been perfect in that regard. (Could this be an incontinence issue?)

Thanks in advance and much love!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Some relevant info for you ...

At six months old it's really unlikely to be an incontinence issue.

A urinary tract infection can be *very painful* (think female cystitis)

If you have no income you can get support through the Blue Cross or P.D.S.A.

Sadly, I don't think this is a situation that it would be fair to leave a rabbit in without expert guidance x

The scalding itself is a result of the fur and skin being frequently made wet, with the fur falling out due to bacterial and fungal infection of the surrounding skin making the area red and sore.

Back