• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly bunny with balance issues, doing well but looks lonely without her buddy

Pandora1

Warren Scout
My bunny is doing well and is moving around and eating well without gut stimulants. She will stay on antibiotics for at least another 2 weeks for the ear infection.

I feel so sorry for her without her buddy (he passed away one week ago suddenly). She is 10 and a half, is that too old for a friend. She has cataracts so not sure how much she can see, she doesn't seem to bump into anything and I keep her set up the same so she knows where everything is. When you have two bunnies that really love each other its heartbreaking seeing one on their own.

My bunny is doing well and is moving around and eating well without gut stimulants. She will stay on antibiotics for at least another 2 weeks for the ear infection.

I feel so sorry for her without her buddy (he passed away one week ago suddenly). She is 10 and a half, is that too old for a friend. She has cataracts so not sure how much she can see, she doesn't seem to bump into anything and I keep her set up the same so she knows where everything is. When you have two bunnies that really love each other its heartbreaking seeing one on their own.

Bless her, it does sound as though she is coping reasonably well at the moment. I am sure that it's hard for you seeing her on her own though. I am really sorry that her friend passed away. It may be possible for her to be introduced to another gentle and calm Rabbit. But personally I would not attempt to do this whilst she is fighting an ear infection. Bonding can be stressful and stress can have a negative impact on the immune system.

Hi Pandora :)

I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer your post earlier ..

No, 10 and a half isn't at all too old for a friend. I bonded a rabbit not so long ago and she was 14 years old and blind and her husbun was less than half her age. The bond worked incredibly well. Perfect in fact.

I find that some bunnies just do not thrive on their own and a friend means they have a reason to 'get up' in the morning, if you know what I mean.

I would certainly consider it x

Thanks for your replies. I have to agree whilst she is coping with the ear infection she needs to be kept stress free, but something to think about.

Pandora

Thanks for your replies. I have to agree whilst she is coping with the ear infection she needs to be kept stress free, but something to think about.

Pandora

A difficult one!

Bonding is often a day or two of stress for a lifetime of bliss. But I agree, something you have to personally weigh up as best you can xx

Back