• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bobby

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
I've been keeping a very close eye on Bobby and he really is struggling to get his back legs to work. I've put down nonslip vet bed and found a litter tray with a very low side to see if they help. I've given him some Metacam this afternoon but its been so wet since then that i really didnt want to get him out in the rain to see how he seemed on his legs. I know John Chitty is away until Monday but i think i'm going to have to take Bobby to see someone there tomorrow. Poor little chap. :( he really is looking his age now. Dreading.

Sending lots of vibes for Bobby. The weather seems to have suddenly turned - do you think the colder weather could be effecting him?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sending lots of vibes for Bobby. I hope that the problem with his legs is something that can be improved with pain relief, if not Metacam then perhaps something stronger.

I'm also thinking of you and thinking it's probably not that easy for you to travel with him to see a vet.

I've been keeping a very close eye on Bobby and he really is struggling to get his back legs to work. I've put down nonslip vet bed and found a litter tray with a very low side to see if they help. I've given him some Metacam this afternoon but its been so wet since then that i really didnt want to get him out in the rain to see how he seemed on his legs. I know John Chitty is away until Monday but i think i'm going to have to take Bobby to see someone there tomorrow. Poor little chap. :( he really is looking his age now. Dreading.

Poor old chap :cry: Maybe ongoing Metacam and some additional treatments will help him to feel more comfortable.Acupuncture and Cold Laser therapy can be beneficial. If his mobility problems are related to arthritis then sometimes it can take a bit of time to establish a plan of treatment to minimise the discomfort.

Are you OK about being able to get him to the Vet ? Could a friend or neighbour help in that respect ? I know that you have your own mobility issues to contend with too, which probably adds to your distress about Bobby :cry: Hopefully the Vet will have some suggestions about treatment options to help him.

Sending lots of vibes for both of you xx

Loads fo vibes for Bobby and hugs for you Babsie xxx

I just dont know what to do for the best. I've given him Metacam again. He's eating and had a good drink when i held a bowl of warm water for him. He's only making small, getting himself comfy, sort of movements and im sure he's just dragging his legs. The sun has come out here and I'm wondering whether i should attempt to lift him out for a bit if fresh air and to take a better look at what's going on. Scared. Sable keeps cuddling up to him but she's out and about n the run a bit now its sunny.

I just dont know what to do for the best. I've given him Metacam again. He's eating and had a good drink when i held a bowl of warm water for him. He's only making small, getting himself comfy, sort of movements and im sure he's just dragging his legs. The sun has come out here and I'm wondering whether i should attempt to lift him out for a bit if fresh air and to take a better look at what's going on. Scared. Sable keeps cuddling up to him but she's out and about n the run a bit now its sunny.

If you can manage to lift him without hurting yourself then I would put him out and see if he can move his back end. Could he have hurt his back maybe ?

If you can manage to lift him without hurting yourself then I would put him out and see if he can move his back end. Could he have hurt his back maybe ?

I don't think he can have hurt hus back but he does have arthritis. Right, off i go!

I am only working until 1130 tomorrow if you want to make an appointment for later on. I can come over and pick you and Bobby up and take you to the vet. Let me know and I will keep the afternoon free.

It's nothing compared with the driving around Fluffybunny has done for me on the Island. I've text Babs to see if I can help but she hasn't replied yet.

I am only working until 1130 tomorrow if you want to make an appointment for later on. I can come over and pick you and Bobby up and take you to the vet. Let me know and I will keep the afternoon free.

It is so very kind of you to offer to come all this way and I do appreciate it. I have just managed to get him out and change all the bedding but his legs just don't seem to be working. I really don't think this is good at all and now, of course, I am worried about flystrike. I wish JC was in. I think that if he appears no better in the morning I'll just have to make dash for it and ask someone in the waiting room to help me with the carrier. I'd better take Sable as well so doubt that I'll be able to manage it, but we'll see. I don't even know the name of the other rabbit-savvy vet. I've looked on their website but the part that used to tell you all about the staff seems to have disappeared - the Staff section now tells you about their kitchen etc and training to be a vet. I don't want to keep you hanging about, spoiling your afternoon - not thinking very straight here - I feel I've let them down and I don't know how.

It's nothing compared with the driving around Fluffybunny has done for me on the Island. I've text Babs to see if I can help but she hasn't replied yet.

Sorry, haven't seen your text as I've been outside with them. Are your clients right down by you? x

I saw a female vet when John wasn't there and she seemed pretty rabbit savvy but I can't remember her name so that's not a lot of use.

I am on annual leave this week from my main job and am just doing an hour with a private client in the morning which finishes at 1130. I have no plans until Saturday morning when I am doing overtime so am quite happy to hang about if it will help Bobby x

Violaine is the "other" rabbit vet at Anton vets.
We have also seen Ashton there, we very happy with the consultation with her, but someone posted on here that she isn't as rabbit savvy as Violaine (or John of course)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just a quick note as I'm in the middle of doing the buns but Violaine has sadly left. She was the other good vet there

Babs it's easier for me to tak via FB whilst I'm out with the buns x

Back