• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Neutering Care Advice

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

My two darlings, Ham and Bea, were dropped off at the vet this morning to get neutered and spayed. Being the worried mother that I am I'd really love to get any advice possible about how to best care for them after their operations.

The receptionist asked if they were outdoor bunnies (yes they are) and advised us that we should bring them in just for tonight to keep them warm. We might just be able to get Bea's hutch through the door but Ham's needs completely dismantling to get through. We could alternatively set up the run indoors and set him up a sleeping area in his carrier?

Is there anything I need to keep an eye on particularly or be aware of? I read that it's a much nastier operation for female rabbits and that Beatrice will feel the effect of it most.

My boyfriend and I have to travel on Saturday afternoon and are not back until Sunday evening. We're going to ask his parents to check on them both days once we're gone. I'm wondering if we should keep them indoors from tonight until Sunday evening and then set them up again outdoors on Monday so they've had time to just chill and recover properly. At least we know then that they'll be in a warm and safe environment.

I'm sorry if there's a lot of general advice on this stuff out there but I'd really like to be told personally, it makes me feel reassured.

Thank you everyone for your help :love:

Hi everyone,

My two darlings, Ham and Bea, were dropped off at the vet this morning to get neutered and spayed. Being the worried mother that I am I'd really love to get any advice possible about how to best care for them after their operations.

The receptionist asked if they were outdoor bunnies (yes they are) and advised us that we should bring them in just for tonight to keep them warm. We might just be able to get Bea's hutch through the door but Ham's needs completely dismantling to get through. We could alternatively set up the run indoors and set him up a sleeping area in his carrier?

Is there anything I need to keep an eye on particularly or be aware of? I read that it's a much nastier operation for female rabbits and that Beatrice will feel the effect of it most.

My boyfriend and I have to travel on Saturday afternoon and are not back until Sunday evening. We're going to ask his parents to check on them both days once we're gone. I'm wondering if we should keep them indoors from tonight until Sunday evening and then set them up again outdoors on Monday so they've had time to just chill and recover properly. At least we know then that they'll be in a warm and safe environment.

I'm sorry if there's a lot of general advice on this stuff out there but I'd really like to be told personally, it makes me feel reassured.

The most important thing is that both Rabbits are given adequate post operative pain relief for a few days. Especially Bea as a spay is far more invasive than a routine castration.

Both Rabbits should be nibbling food/pooing and weeing before being discharged home. They may not get their usual appetite back for a couple of days, but it is very important that they have some input and output. If they do not then they will need to be taken back to the Vet as they may need some prokinetics (gut motility meds) aswell as the pain relief.

Offering them tempting foods such as fresh herbs can be helpful. I'd make sure that you have some Critical Care or similar in stock along with some syringes incase you need to syringe feed them. You can make a liquid feed up yourself using their usual pellets softened in boiled water, add some Veg baby food-eg Ellas Kitchen- and blend it into a liquid of a consistency that you can draw up into a syringe.

The surgical wounds will need checking at least twice a day. The area should remain clean and dry with no 'oozing' and no significant inflammation. Ham's testicles may look a bit bruised but they should not swell significantly or look severely bruised.

Bea should not be allowed to jump up onto high surfaces or do any drastic exercise for 7 days. Some Vets insist on cage rest for 7 days post spay.

Ham should be able to return to normal activity after 3-5 days, assuming his castration was straightforward with no post op' complications. Both should have a post op' check by a Vet after about 3 days.

There's a bit more info' here :
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Hope all goes well for both of them :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Hi Bea, and I'm thinking of Ham and Bea today as they go for their neuters :)

Your vet should offer you a check up for them, usually booked for around three days time?

You should also be given Metacam (pain relief) for Bea - probably not for Ham, though some vets would

There's some info here:

http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/

Yes, they can't regulate their temperatures after an operation, and so will need to be kept warm. I gave my little doe a heat pad even though she was indoors and it helped her a lot.

You have to make sure they are eating, and check the wounds morning and evening. No swelling of Ham's testicle area and no weeping or bleeding of Bea's wound.

More good info here too:

http://www.raseveterinarycentre.com/documents/pocrabbit.pdf

Good luck to you all xx

Thank you very much for the advice MightyMax :love: I just called up the vet and apparently their operations went smoothly, we can pick them up at 3.30. So we're setting up their living space inside now, so that they're warm and cosy. I haven't got around to buying one of those heat pads yet, would a hot water bottle be okay? I might order one on Amazon Prime now and then I can put it in her sleeping area tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the advice MightyMax :love: I just called up the vet and apparently their operations went smoothly, we can pick them up at 3.30. So we're setting up their living space inside now, so that they're warm and cosy. I haven't got around to buying one of those heat pads yet, would a hot water bottle be okay? I might order one on Amazon Prime now and then I can put it in her sleeping area tomorrow.

Aww you're very welcome :) And I am delighted that their ops went to plan :)

You could use a hot water bottle, just make sure it's well wrapped in towels and keep an eye for any nibbling.

She may be fine without extra warmth - if she appears OK and starts eating today, then I wouldn't worry about the heat. My little one didn't eat for three days, and was really off colour, so although it was warm anyway, I gave her the extra heat for comfort :)

The most important thing is that both Rabbits are given adequate post operative pain relief for a few days. Especially Bea as a spay is far more invasive than a routine castration.

Both Rabbits should be nibbling food/pooing and weeing before being discharged home. They may not get their usual appetite back for a couple of days, but it is very important that they have some input and output. If they do not then they will need to be taken back to the Vet as they may need some prokinetics (gut motility meds) aswell as the pain relief.

Offering them tempting foods such as fresh herbs can be helpful. I'd make sure that you have some Critical Care or similar in stock along with some syringes incase you need to syringe feed them. You can make a liquid feed up yourself using their usual pellets softened in boiled water, add some Veg baby food-eg Ellas Kitchen- and blend it into a liquid of a consistency that you can draw up into a syringe.

The surgical wounds will need checking at least twice a day. The area should remain clean and dry with no 'oozing' and no significant inflammation. Ham's testicles may look a bit bruised but they should not swell significantly or look severely bruised.

Bea should not be allowed to jump up onto high surfaces or do any drastic exercise for 7 days. Some Vets insist on cage rest for 7 days post spay.

Ham should be able to return to normal activity after 3-5 days, assuming his castration was straightforward with no post op' complications. Both should have a post op' check by a Vet after about 3 days.

There's a bit more info' here :
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Hope all goes well for both of them :)

Sory Jack's-Jane, for some reason I didn't see your post the first time! Thank you very much for the in depth advice and information. Beatrice is currently in a hutch on two levels, with her sleeping area being upstairs. When she goes down she does throw herself/slide a bit down the ramp - might this be a worry? We've brought her hutch in and intend on keeping it inside until next Monday so she has plenty of time to recover.

Because Ham's hutch is too big to bring inside, we currently have a smaller one set up which is my 'emergency hutch', but it's much too small for him for the long term. Given that the operation isnt' so harsh for male rabbits, would he be okay to go back outside tomorrow, or should I keep him indoors for a few days too? The problem is he is a big boy and the hutch we have indoors for him is no-where near big enough. He is quite wilful and active and likes having a good run around. I don't want to make him miserable if I can get him back in familiar surroundings sooner. I could keep him out of the run, just thinking it might be nice for him to be back in his own hutch which is better suited to his size.

Sory Jack's-Jane, for some reason I didn't see your post the first time! Thank you very much for the in depth advice and information. Beatrice is currently in a hutch on two levels, with her sleeping area being upstairs. When she goes down she does throw herself/slide a bit down the ramp - might this be a worry? We've brought her hutch in and intend on keeping it inside until next Monday so she has plenty of time to recover.

Because Ham's hutch is too big to bring inside, we currently have a smaller one set up which is my 'emergency hutch', but it's much too small for him for the long term. Given that the operation isnt' so harsh for male rabbits, would he be okay to go back outside tomorrow, or should I keep him indoors for a few days too? The problem is he is a big boy and the hutch we have indoors for him is no-where near big enough. He is quite wilful and active and likes having a good run around. I don't want to make him miserable if I can get him back in familiar surroundings sooner. I could keep him out of the run, just thinking it might be nice for him to be back in his own hutch which is better suited to his size.

With regards to Bea, personally I'd want her on all one level for 7 days so she has a chance to heal internally aswell as externally. Going up and down a ramp might be a bit much for her. Rather like when a human female has a hysterectomy, they cannot do anything strenuous for several weeks. But Rabbits heal a lot faster and usually a Doe is back to normal after 7-10 days. Could you just make a temporary indoor enclosure for her. She wont necessarily need the hutch.

Ham should be OK to go back out to his usual accommodation tomorrow as long as he is bright, eating and pooing OK and his wound is looking good.

Ham, so long as he's recovering fine, should be OK to go out tomorrow. It's a much less invasive operation than a spay.

For Bea, I should restrict her jumping up and down the ramp for several days. Have you been given a post-spay check up date with the vet? That's usually after three or five days. I would restrict her for about five days, and when you have a check up, ask the vet how the wound is healing.

My little one was very keen to get bouncing again, and after five days, despite a shaky start, she was fine :D

With regards to Bea, personally I'd want her on all one level for 7 days so she has a chance to heal internally aswell as externally. Going up and down a ramp might be a bit much for her. Rather like when a human female has a hysterectomy, they cannot do anything strenuous for several weeks. But Rabbits heal a lot faster and usually a Doe is back to normal after 7-10 days. Could you just make a temporary indoor enclosure for her. She wont necessarily need the hutch.

Ham should be OK to go back out to his usual accommodation tomorrow as long as he is bright, eating and pooing OK and his wound is looking good.

We've put a large piece of scrap plywood over the ladder hole, which is nice and secure, so she won't be able to get downstairs now. She looks a bit groggy but is sitting in her usual spot with her head poking out of the sleeping area. We have medication to give them both ever 12 hours to help their gut/digestion, and also some Metacam for Bea.

Ham seems very perky, he's eaten a lot already and is hopping around a lot. We've set up a run with some cardboard on the floor and a box full of hay to sleep in for tonight. Tomorrow we'll probably put him out again in his normal house.

So with the medication we have to syringe feed it directly into their mouths - does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this? I can imagine both of them refusing to open their mouths but I might be wrong.

We have their checkup at 9.30am on Friday, so hopefully the vet will be happy with their progress. I'm a bit worried because we're meant to be travelling on Saturday afternoon and won't be back until Sunday evening. Although we've arranged for them to be checked on by my boyfriend's parents, I'm not sure if the medication will extend until then :(

We've put a large piece of scrap plywood over the ladder hole, which is nice and secure, so she won't be able to get downstairs now. She looks a bit groggy but is sitting in her usual spot with her head poking out of the sleeping area. We have medication to give them both ever 12 hours to help their gut/digestion, and also some Metacam for Bea.

Ham seems very perky, he's eaten a lot already and is hopping around a lot. We've set up a run with some cardboard on the floor and a box full of hay to sleep in for tonight. Tomorrow we'll probably put him out again in his normal house.

So with the medication we have to syringe feed it directly into their mouths - does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this? I can imagine both of them refusing to open their mouths but I might be wrong.

We have their checkup at 9.30am on Friday, so hopefully the vet will be happy with their progress. I'm a bit worried because we're meant to be travelling on Saturday afternoon and won't be back until Sunday evening. Although we've arranged for them to be checked on by my boyfriend's parents, I'm not sure if the medication will extend until then :(

I should check with the vet as to how much of the meds he's given you, and when it's supposed to last up to. It should last until the check up and if the vet wants to give some more for over the weekend, you can deal with that then :)

Some tips on syringing a rabbit either food or meds (same thing, but meds are quicker as there's less of it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5RnQdch2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaHtUy4EX5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dil7iQQCU

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/SyringeFeeding2014.pdf

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286509.shtml

I use a one ml syringe for just about everything, as I find it easier to manage :)

Last edited:
I should check with the vet as to how much of the meds he's given you, and when it's supposed to last up to. It should last until the check up and if the vet wants to give some more for over the weekend, you can deal with that then :)

Some tips on syringing a rabbit either food or meds (same thing, but meds are quicker as there's less of it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5RnQdch2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaHtUy4EX5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dil7iQQCU

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/SyringeFeeding2014.pdf

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286509.shtml

I use a one ml syringe for just about everything, as I find it easier to manage :)

Thank you for the helpful links, MightyMax :love:

We've given the bunnies their evening doses. Ham took his very easily but Bea put up more of a fight, especially with the Metacam. I think the syringe that comes with it is too big for rabbits really (it says for dogs on the box after all) - we thought she had opened her mouth and squeezed the amount out, but she kept it shut and had droplets on her whiskers. Two seconds later, she did lick her lips, which I'm hoping means she licked the medicine up enough for it to have an effect. We don't want to OD her so were too scared to try giving her anymore.

Ham, although subdued, has eaten a lot of food already. Bea has still eaten nothing. Should I be worried if her bowl is still full in the morning?

Thank you for the helpful links, MightyMax :love:

We've given the bunnies their evening doses. Ham took his very easily but Bea put up more of a fight, especially with the Metacam. I think the syringe that comes with it is too big for rabbits really (it says for dogs on the box after all) - we thought she had opened her mouth and squeezed the amount out, but she kept it shut and had droplets on her whiskers. Two seconds later, she did lick her lips, which I'm hoping means she licked the medicine up enough for it to have an effect. We don't want to OD her so were too scared to try giving her anymore.

Ham, although subdued, has eaten a lot of food already. Bea has still eaten nothing. Should I be worried if her bowl is still full in the morning?

You're welcome Bea :)

If she hasn't eaten this evening, I should syringe feed something. Have you any Critical Care or recovery food? If not you can use her normal pellets and soak them into a mash. I often mix it with some ella's Kitchen organic baby food - either veg or fruit - and it makes it more palatable. Or you can whizz it up with some apple or apple sauce or carrot puree.

Have you tried some strong smelling herbs such as coriander, dill, parsley or mint? Sometimes breaking the stems or crushing the leaves can release the aroma and make them want to eat.

The vet should have given you a normal one ml syringe to use with the Metacam. It's hopeless trying to use that one that comes in the box!

You're welcome Bea :)

If she hasn't eaten this evening, I should syringe feed something. Have you any Critical Care or recovery food? If not you can use her normal pellets and soak them into a mash. I often mix it with some ella's Kitchen organic baby food - either veg or fruit - and it makes it more palatable. Or you can whizz it up with some apple or apple sauce or carrot puree.

Have you tried some strong smelling herbs such as coriander, dill, parsley or mint? Sometimes breaking the stems or crushing the leaves can release the aroma and make them want to eat.

The vet should have given you a normal one ml syringe to use with the Metacam. It's hopeless trying to use that one that comes in the box!

Thank you MM :love: We managed to feed her, through the smaller syringe, a mixture of mushed down pellets, banana, and a dry Russell Rabbit treat she really likes, also liquified with hot water. She didn't eat loads, but perhaps a couple of syringes worth, so better than nothing. My biggest worry is that because the Metacam syringe was ****, she hasn't had enough pain killer, and she's in a lot of pain :( But it seems way too risky to give her more now, so I guess we will have to wait until 8am. I hope she's okay through the night :(

Thank you MM :love: We managed to feed her, through the smaller syringe, a mixture of mushed down pellets, banana, and a dry Russell Rabbit treat she really likes, also liquified with hot water. She didn't eat loads, but perhaps a couple of syringes worth, so better than nothing. My biggest worry is that because the Metacam syringe was ****, she hasn't had enough pain killer, and she's in a lot of pain :( But it seems way too risky to give her more now, so I guess we will have to wait until 8am. I hope she's okay through the night :(

You've done your best, and you've managed to feed her, which is good :)

Yes, best wait until the next dose and give her the full amount xx

I hope that both Ham and Bea are doing OK this morning ?

If they were to need more care than the people checking on them when you are away could cope with is it possible to either postpone your trip or have the Rabbits admitted to the Vet for Nursing Care ? It may be that they are both a lot better by Saturday, but Bea in particular may still need very careful monitoring regarding her input/output and surgical wound checking.

If they were to need more care than the people checking on them when you are away could cope with is it possible to either postpone your trip or have the Rabbits admitted to the Vet for Nursing Care ? It may be that they are both a lot better by Saturday, but Bea in particular may still need very careful monitoring regarding her input/output and surgical wound checking.

Well Ham seems completely fine - he's eaten everything we put down for him last night, and was keen for more this morning.

Bea has done a wee and pooped, she was sat out of her sleeping area by her water this morning and appears to have drank a lot. Tje food in her bowl looked hardly touched though, so the droppings could be from what we syringe fed her last night.

We've given her the metacam in the smaller syringe this morning, which worked better. As she hasn't tucked into breakfast as usual, should we try syringe feeding her again, or give it a couple more hours?

Well Ham seems completely fine - he's eaten everything we put down for him last night, and was keen for more this morning.

Bea has done a wee and pooped, she was sat out of her sleeping area by her water this morning and appears to have drank a lot. Tje food in her bowl looked hardly touched though, so the droppings could be from what we syringe fed her last night.

We've given her the metacam in the smaller syringe this morning, which worked better. As she hasn't tucked into breakfast as usual, should we try syringe feeding her again, or give it a couple more hours?

I have seen her nibbling on a bit of hay, which is something...

I am glad to hear that Ham is doing well, and that Bea has at least done some droppings. That's a very good sign!

I usually syringe feed every 3/4 fours if they aren't eating, just to keep the guts moving at this stage.

You could also call your vet and ask their advice, both on syringe feeding and if they would like to see her again. You may get some gut motility meds given for her, just to be on the safe side. You may not need to take her in for this :)

I am glad to hear that Ham is doing well, and that Bea has at least done some droppings. That's a very good sign!

I usually syringe feed every 3/4 fours if they aren't eating, just to keep the guts moving at this stage.

You could also call your vet and ask their advice, both on syringe feeding and if they would like to see her again. You may get some gut motility meds given for her, just to be on the safe side. You may not need to take her in for this :)

We do have gut motility meds for her, to be given every 12 hours. She seems to have hardly eaten today though. She has drank a lot from her bowl and have seen her eat a tiny about of hay and like one strand of grass from her food bowl. She seems physically perkier than yesterday - she's walking around upstairs a bit rather than staying in her sleeping area. I am worried that she isn't eating enough though. We're going to try syringe feeding her some more now.

I called up the vet a minute ago and they recommended we call the emergency vet. She is due to be seen tomorrow morning at 9.30 am but I don't know if I should leave it or not. Please can anyone advise? I don't want to be complacent at all but she does seem stronger than yesterday, despite still being off her food. Any advise is really appreciated :(

We do have gut motility meds for her, to be given every 12 hours. She seems to have hardly eaten today though. She has drank a lot from her bowl and have seen her eat a tiny about of hay and like one strand of grass from her food bowl. She seems physically perkier than yesterday - she's walking around upstairs a bit rather than staying in her sleeping area. I am worried that she isn't eating enough though. We're going to try syringe feeding her some more now.

I called up the vet a minute ago and they recommended we call the emergency vet. She is due to be seen tomorrow morning at 9.30 am but I don't know if I should leave it or not. Please can anyone advise? I don't want to be complacent at all but she does seem stronger than yesterday, despite still being off her food. Any advise is really appreciated :(

Has she passed some poo throughout the day ?

Back