• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help need with behaviour in our unwell girl.

Hi all, a few weeks ago Gracie was lethargic and I thought we had a gut problem so raced off to the vet. She was so congested with fluid around her heart and lungs she was struggling for breath. He quickly diagnosed pulmonary oedema. He put her on a diuretic until we can get an ECG done to see what exactly is wrong with her heart. She is 12 months old.

So a little history, Grace is a rescue and we were her third family at five months of age. She has always been stand offish and prefers her boy Alfies company to humans. At the moment she seems to have become quite withdrawn and sleeps all day under the bed, comes out to eat and goes back under the bed. She is regularly seen by the vet and there is no fluid build up at the moment, she is medicated twice a day.

Tonight after medication (eye dropper) Maddy sat down with her and Grace bit Maddy quite hard on the shoulder and scarpered off. She has in the past been more friendly than she is now.

So, I don't know if:

1. This is just the animals nature
2. She is feeling unwell within herself
3. She is sick of being picked up twice a day and having an eye dropper put in her mouth

I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I want her to have quality of life, I want her to be well and I want her to feel part of our family. We love her dearly and have made a commitment to her welfare. Any advice appreciated.

Outside2.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Grace - is she spayed? This could cause her to be feisty but there again she may not be feeling very well. I hope she can go on to be a healthy, happy bunny.

I think she may hate being picked up all the time and if she's feeling unwell is even more fed up! Doughnut is on permanent medication and hates being picked up. I now offer her the syringe and she comes over and takes it. I just wonder if you could put it on her food as it's less stressful that way. I used to put it on a tiny piece of Weetabix which soaked it up and she loved. I then discovered she liked the taste so eventually she would come over for her medicine. When she is in an episode of really unwell though I have to pick her up as she's not interested in food.

I wonder if Grace is still feeling unwell that she is sleeping so much. What medication is she on?

Maybe you could lie on the floor with her and hand feed her treats to build up the relationship. If you are picking her up all the time though I doubt this is going to happen as I know once I've picked Doughnut up she is wary of me for about 2 weeks!

I think she may hate being picked up all the time and if she's feeling unwell is even more fed up! Doughnut is on permanent medication and hates being picked up. I now offer her the syringe and she comes over and takes it. I just wonder if you could put it on her food as it's less stressful that way. I used to put it on a tiny piece of Weetabix which soaked it up and she loved. I then discovered she liked the taste so eventually she would come over for her medicine. When she is in an episode of really unwell though I have to pick her up as she's not interested in food.

I wonder if Grace is still feeling unwell that she is sleeping so much. What medication is she on?

Maybe you could lie on the floor with her and hand feed her treats to build up the relationship. If you are picking her up all the time though I doubt this is going to happen as I know once I've picked Doughnut up she is wary of me for about 2 weeks!

Hello, it's diuretic to rid her of fluid. Tonight she changed completely and enjoyed a long head and shoulder rub. Go figure?

She's probably feeling better today. Doughnut runs away and wants to be left alone when not feeling great. I would try and give the medicine without picking her up though as it's less stressful.

Back