• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Since Norahs spay she seems to of lost weight, she eats just as much as before and she eat alot more hay than jimmy. I don't know if the moulting is making her look a bit thinner but when I stroke her I am aware of all her bones. Are mini lops quite a bony breed? Jimmy is more cuddly and I can't feel his bones as much.how can I help Norah gain Weight without giving her things that are bad for her. Also, jimmy loves apple and pear leaves and twigs and Norah won't eat them but she loves bramble leaves and twigs, How much of these can they eat safely. I worry there diet isn't the best. I feed an egg cup full of pellets each for breakfast, then for dinner they have half an oaticake each (bought off facebook) and some apple and pear leaves and twigs and brambles, in the afternoon they have herbs and greens, then before bed they have dried meadow herbs mixed in with there hay. Unlimited hay throughout the day. I do get the odd squashed blackberry poop that hasn't Been eaten but I know Norah sometimes struggles to reach to eat the whole blackberry poop because of her pillow chin so she just sits on them and squashes them very occasionally. , Thanks again in advance x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Before changing anything in their diet I would confirm whether or not Norah has lost any weight. I am sure they will have weighed her at the vets when she was spayed, so I would pop her along there and ask if they will weigh her to compare. Then if you are going to make any changes I would weigh her at regular intervals to check how she's doing.

I don't really limit the amount of leaves and twigs that I give to my rabbits. I find that sometimes they will leave some and then go back to them later. They are excellent for their digestion.

To me their diet sounds very good. I don't know what's in the oatcakes that you feed, but otherwise it all sounds very healthy. If you wanted to get Norah to gain weight, I would do it very gradually and try just feeding more of what she has already, except the pellets, which I'd keep as they are. You could try including some Readigrass, as that is slightly higher in calories than hay. I would find out first though whether she has lost any weight.

Before changing anything in their diet I would confirm whether or not Norah has lost any weight. I am sure they will have weighed her at the vets when she was spayed, so I would pop her along there and ask if they will weigh her to compare. Then if you are going to make any changes I would weigh her at regular intervals to check how she's doing.

I don't really limit the amount of leaves and twigs that I give to my rabbits. I find that sometimes they will leave some and then go back to them later. They are excellent for their digestion.

To me their diet sounds very good. I don't know what's in the oatcakes that you feed, but otherwise it all sounds very healthy. If you wanted to get Norah to gain weight, I would do it very gradually and try just feeding more of what she has already, except the pellets, which I'd keep as they are. You could try including some Readigrass, as that is slightly higher in calories than hay. I would find out first though whether she has lost any weight.
Why did I not think of that,its so obvious [emoji4] I can weigh her myself,she was 1.8kg when she was spayed. Is that about the right weight for a mini lop?.. Thank you for the advice on the twigs I would leave more out for them more often but Jimmy just eats anything and everything that is put down and doesn't stop till it is gone.i put a box of twigs down not thinking he would demolish the whole lot in one day and they all disappeared . i am pleased it helps with digestion though, that makes me feel a bit better.i will weigh Norah in morning and take it from there. She does look more scraggy at the minute, she is moulting so bad so I don't think that helps.

Since Norahs spay she seems to of lost weight, she eats just as much as before and she eat alot more hay than jimmy. I don't know if the moulting is making her look a bit thinner but when I stroke her I am aware of all her bones. Are mini lops quite a bony breed? Jimmy is more cuddly and I can't feel his bones as much.how can I help Norah gain Weight without giving her things that are bad for her. Also, jimmy loves apple and pear leaves and twigs and Norah won't eat them but she loves bramble leaves and twigs, How much of these can they eat safely. I worry there diet isn't the best. I feed an egg cup full of pellets each for breakfast, then for dinner they have half an oaticake each (bought off facebook) and some apple and pear leaves and twigs and brambles, in the afternoon they have herbs and greens, then before bed they have dried meadow herbs mixed in with there hay. Unlimited hay throughout the day. I do get the odd squashed blackberry poop that hasn't Been eaten but I know Norah sometimes struggles to reach to eat the whole blackberry poop because of her pillow chin so she just sits on them and squashes them very occasionally. , Thanks again in advance x

Hi there :wave:

Moulting can make a big difference to a rabbit's need for food! They do need extra calories, or they cannot complete their moult. I usually add a few extra pellets for a moulting bun :)

Mini lops are not a bony breed at all. You shouldn't be able to feel all the backbones etc, and it's quite possible a bit of feeding up is needed.

Regarding the leaves and twigs, I would be very generous with these, as I doubt any rabbit could overdose themselves on them.

The diet sounds OK, though on the whole there are quite a few pellets and other stuff going in - are they eating a lot of hay?

I like this visual representation:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp

It may be that (temporarily) you need to fatten Norah up a bit, and therefore give her stuff separately to Jimmy. Would this be feasible, given you don't want to cause World War Three by doing so? :)

Hi there :wave:

Moulting can make a big difference to a rabbit's need for food! They do need extra calories, or they cannot complete their moult. I usually add a few extra pellets for a moulting bun :)

Mini lops are not a bony breed at all. You shouldn't be able to feel all the backbones etc, and it's quite possible a bit of feeding up is needed.

Regarding the leaves and twigs, I would be very generous with these, as I doubt any rabbit could overdose themselves on them.

The diet sounds OK, though on the whole there are quite a few pellets and other stuff going in - are they eating a lot of hay?

I like this visual representation:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp

It may be that (temporarily) you need to fatten Norah up a bit, and therefore give her stuff separately to Jimmy. Would this be feasible, given you don't want to cause World War Three by doing so? :)
Norah eats alot of hay her poops are like hay, Jimmy not so much his poops are darker, I Am using the oat hay and meadow hay with redigrass sprinkled in it. I could hand feed Norah some extra pellets later in the day if I give Jimmy some twigs in the run to keep him away. He has started misbehaving a little bit these last couple of days. He takes all the fleece blankets that are in the shed and moves them around, there was one that looked like it had been purposely placed in the water dish, I was blaming Norah until I seen it with my own eyes tonight.he literally just trashes the shed.i walked in this morning and it looked like a bomb had gone off, I have started shutting the access to the run off through the night and I think he's peeved about it.anyway thanks again for the info I will give Norah secret pellets. They are currently eating Burgess pellets with mint. Are these OK? X

Why did I not think of that,its so obvious [emoji4] I can weigh her myself,she was 1.8kg when she was spayed. Is that about the right weight for a mini lop?.. Thank you for the advice on the twigs I would leave more out for them more often but Jimmy just eats anything and everything that is put down and doesn't stop till it is gone.i put a box of twigs down not thinking he would demolish the whole lot in one day and they all disappeared . i am pleased it helps with digestion though, that makes me feel a bit better.i will weigh Norah in morning and take it from there. She does look more scraggy at the minute, she is moulting so bad so I don't think that helps.

1.8 kg sounds about right, but of course all rabbits are different :)

Norah eats alot of hay her poops are like hay, Jimmy not so much his poops are darker, I Am using the oat hay and meadow hay with redigrass sprinkled in it. I could hand feed Norah some extra pellets later in the day if I give Jimmy some twigs in the run to keep him away. He has started misbehaving a little bit these last couple of days. He takes all the fleece blankets that are in the shed and moves them around, there was one that looked like it had been purposely placed in the water dish, I was blaming Norah until I seen it with my own eyes tonight.he literally just trashes the shed.i walked in this morning and it looked like a bomb had gone off, I have started shutting the access to the run off through the night and I think he's peeved about it.anyway thanks again for the info I will give Norah secret pellets. They are currently eating Burgess pellets with mint. Are these OK? X

My buns tell me that Burgess pellets with mint are to die for :love:

Back