• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do house rabbits need the rhd2 vaccination?

NixNax

Young Bun
Hi, I have a house rabbit who currently has no outdoor access and has no contact with other rabbits. She is in our lounge which does lead straight into the garden which is also the main way for our kids to get into the back garden. I contacted our local vet who said she doesnt need the rhd2 vaccination due to being indoors and so is considered low risk (at the moment). They're only vaccinating outdoor and high risk rabbits. What are people's views on this? After some of the things I've read online, I think she should probably be vaccinated but not 100% sure. I have contacted a second vet for a second opinion.

Hi, I have a house rabbit who currently has no outdoor access and has no contact with other rabbits. She is in our lounge which does lead straight into the garden which is also the main way for our kids to get into the back garden. I contacted our local vet who said she doesnt need the rhd2 vaccination due to being indoors and so is considered low risk (at the moment). They're only vaccinating outdoor and high risk rabbits. What are people's views on this? After some of the things I've read online, I think she should probably be vaccinated but not 100% sure. I have contacted a second vet for a second opinion.

100 % yes. RHD2 can be bought into the house on our shoes, on hay etc

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD#section-9

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rvhd2/

That's what I thought. Not sure why they won't vaccinate her. We're in a 'safe' area at the moment but I'm still concerned about it. Def taking her somewhere else to get it done then.

Agree with Jane, I would definitely want them to have it. It's interesting they have this take on it, our vets didn't ask whether they lived inside or out, we just said we wanted them to have it. We have one indoor bun (admittedly he does go in a run outside when it's nice) but I definitely wanted him to have it like all our others x

Just to echo what's already been said. I have two house rabbits and both are fully vaccinated. Nobivac combi Myxomatosis & RHD1.
Filavac RHD1 & RHD2.

Both are given every 12 months, at 6 monthly intervals. (E.g. Nobivac then 6 months later filavac)

I'd strongly recommend finding a rabbit savvy vet as it doesn't sound like yours is keeping up to date 100% if they believe being indoors reduces risk.
Members of the forum will be happy to give recommendations if you let us know your area, or you can Google for Francis Harcourt-Brown's recommended vet list.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you. After the first couple of replies I also contacted the vets that I have previously been recommended on here (nine lives in redbourne) and have her booked in, it's about half an hour away, which isn't too far but might take longer in rush hour which is when her appointment is! Hopefully the car journey wont stress her out. They didn't even ask about whether she was indoors or outdoors. I did forget to ask what one they give so ill probably phone back to check tomorrow. Otherwise i thought I'd call back my local one,10 mins away who do give filavac to outside rabbits and just say I plan on letting her out and see if they'll book her in! They said they're reviewing the rhd2 vaccines at the moment.

Thank you. After the first couple of replies I also contacted the vets that I have previously been recommended on here (nine lives in redbourne) and have her booked in, it's about half an hour away, which isn't too far but might take longer in rush hour which is when her appointment is! Hopefully the car journey wont stress her out. They didn't even ask about whether she was indoors or outdoors. I did forget to ask what one they give so ill probably phone back to check tomorrow. Otherwise i thought I'd call back my local one,10 mins away who do give filavac to outside rabbits and just say I plan on letting her out and see if they'll book her in! They said they're reviewing the rhd2 vaccines at the moment.

I'm glad you've decided to vaccinate!

I agree with you thinking that a house rabbit would be less at risk, and my vet would agree with that. But even so, it's a good precaution, as once caught, there's no coming back from RHD2

Yes, Filavac is the one you need to ask for :D

Does filavac give the rabbits any side effects or are they generally okay? My rabbit was a bit itchy around the back of her neck after her vaccination in June just wondering if should look out for anything with the rhd2 one?

Does filavac give the rabbits any side effects or are they generally okay? My rabbit was a bit itchy around the back of her neck after her vaccination in June just wondering if should look out for anything with the rhd2 one?

These are the reactions reported, according to the Data Sheet:

Adverse reactions (frequency and seriousness)
Very common: a temporary increase in body temperature of up to 1.6°C can be observed one day after vaccination.
Common: Immunization is followed by a limited local reaction (subcutaneous nodule up to 3 mm in diameter) which may be palpable and observable for at least 52 days.

The frequency of adverse reactions is defined using the following convention:

-very common (more than 1 in 10 animals occurring adverse reactions during the course of one treatment);
-common (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 100 animals);
-uncommon (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 1,000 animals);
-rare (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 10,000 animals);
-very rare (less than 1 animal in 10,000 animals, including isolated reports).

As with any vaccination for any species, including humans, there is always a small risk of some side effects. In the very rare occasions that they happen they are almost always mild and transient. This link to the Filivac Data Sheet gives full details, including possible adverse reactions

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

All 5 of my Rabbits have received the vaccine and none have had any adverse reactions at all :)

Can I just say Nine Lives are amazing vets :) They've an exotics licence and you can tell they really do care.
I finally settled on them after using 6 other vets in my area.
I would travel from Watford to them during rush hour and it'd only take about 30 mins. The other benefit is they're a lot cheaper than any other vets I've used.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

To be honest, it's your choice, and you could make the point that you would like her to have the vaccine anyway, even though she is indoors!

Or as you say, you could say you plan on letting her out ... If it's that much difference in journey time, you might want to consider it :)

Echo everything about Nine Lives, excellent service, I took our buns there for their vaccinations as our regular / closer vet wasn't supplying it 'as there was no demand locally'

Our vet had limited stock initially, and wanted to prioritise outdoor rabbits. Because ours were indoor, they said it was low risk, and asked if we didn't mind waiting a few months - maybe your vet is the same?

Stocks are a lot better now, so I would ask them again (say you're putting them in boarding if you want an excuse).

I've just discovered a few minutes ago that's she's got a couple of scabby bits which look like she's scratched hard and almost made it bleed on the back of her neck around where the vaccine will probably go. Now I'm not sure whether to book a separate appointment to check it's okay before taking her along for vaccination or take her along for the vaccine and get them to check it before doing it!

Oops I just pressed the wrong button to reply, think I reported it rather than replying! Hope not!

I've just discovered a few minutes ago that's she's got a couple of scabby bits which look like she's scratched hard and almost made it bleed on the back of her neck around where the vaccine will probably go. Now I'm not sure whether to book a separate appointment to check it's okay before taking her along for vaccination or take her along for the vaccine and get them to check it before doing it!

I would do that :)

Take her along for the vaccination, as the vet will most likely find another spot to inject so he doesn't make it sore for her. He won't do the vaccination if he doesn't think it's appropriate, and shouldn't charge you if it's not done either :)

Yeah, I think I'll stick with nine lives who are obv more rabbit savvy than the local vets and get them to check it out as probably more likely to know if it's going to be a problem before vaccinating. I actually called the local one again today out of interest to see if they would vaccinate and said they would this time but I'm sticking with redbourn now!

Yeah, I think I'll stick with nine lives who are obv more rabbit savvy than the local vets and get them to check it out as probably more likely to know if it's going to be a problem before vaccinating. I actually called the local one again today out of interest to see if they would vaccinate and said they would this time but I'm sticking with redbourn now!

They've lost your business :D

Back