• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
hi guys, it's been a while since I was last here but I have a problem. After twelve years I am no longer the only bunny mummy on the block, a new couple have moved in up the road and they have a little bunny. He lives outside but his hutch (hate, hate,hate) it's at ground level and very damp. He has only straw and that awful muesli type food, half a carrot and a bit of brocolli. I made myself known with a welcome gift of a bag of fresh herbal hay and some decent nuggets from Scientce Selective and they seemed very grateful.

I asked the man if I could come and visit the bunny and while there had a lovely cuddle, (with the bunny, not him) I found a very,very placid rabbit,

When visiting today I noticed the bun had ( urine stains?) yellow paws and was just so un responsive.

What do I do?

The first thing I want to do is wrap him in a blanket and bring him home into the warm and cosy

Please help

It appears you're on speaking terms with the neighbours.

If so it may be worth asking if they've noticed it and suggesting a few things it may be/what they can do to correct the issue.

You appear to know then fairly well,so I'm sure you'll know how best to word it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

bit worried that they may take my concerns as an insult, they are alot younger than me and would hate for them to think I'm just an old mad woman, when I', just a person concerned with the Bun

It's tricky isn't it. Do you get the impression that they love the rabbit and are just a bit clueless or do they not really care about it?

Have you now been a couple if times? Are they using the hay and food you gave them? do they maybe just need some guidance. It sounds as if they are approachable and friendly, so maybe just offer if they need any help etc explain that you've had rabbits for such a long time and understand how much work it can be.

Lastly, as I'd probably want to take them home too, I might jokingly say 'oh he's so gorgeous, I wish I could take him home, ha ha' and test how wanted he is.

Good luck x

It's tricky isn't it. Do you get the impression that they love the rabbit and are just a bit clueless or do they not really care about it?

Have you now been a couple if times? Are they using the hay and food you gave them? do they maybe just need some guidance. It sounds as if they are approachable and friendly, so maybe just offer if they need any help etc explain that you've had rabbits for such a long time and understand how much work it can be.

Lastly, as I'd probably want to take them home too, I might jokingly say 'oh he's so gorgeous, I wish I could take him home, ha ha' and test how wanted he is.

Good luck x

Yes, I would do that :D

But Lolly's Mum from what you said, does this little bun need vet treatment? Could he/she have either a urine infection (painful) or a snotty nose (serious) ... depending on which paws were yellow stained ..

oh dear lord

I had been visiting Snowy, the little bunny about two or three times a day, his living conditions were appalling. I even offered his owners a new hutch, which was declined because "we have a double storey hutch at my mum's house, just waiting for my brother who has a van to help us deliver it"

I went to see him yesterday and as usual was looking very un-loved. When I visited this morning the darling little boy was dead.

If the owners had any sense of care they would have found him before me, I have knocked on their door more than twice today to tell them but there is no answer.

Rest in peace little bunny, so sorry I couldn't do more to help. But in your memory, if I see another rabbit in that garden, good condition or not, I will report the owners to the RSPCA, and I won't claim anonimity, I will let it be known who I am, where I live and it was ME who grassed you up.

shame on them

I had been visiting Snowy, the little bunny about two or three times a day, his living conditions were appalling. I even offered his owners a new hutch, which was declined because "we have a double storey hutch at my mum's house, just waiting for my brother who has a van to help us deliver it"

I went to see him yesterday and as usual was looking very un-loved. When I visited this morning the darling little boy was dead.

If the owners had any sense of care they would have found him before me, I have knocked on their door more than twice today to tell them but there is no answer.

Rest in peace little bunny, so sorry I couldn't do more to help. But in your memory, if I see another rabbit in that garden, good condition or not, I will report the owners to the RSPCA, and I won't claim anonimity, I will let it be known who I am, where I live and it was ME who grassed you up.

shame on them

How tragic :cry:

I know it's rather an awful prospect but can you take photos of the 'scene of crime' (because a crime the neglect most definitely was).

RIP Snowy :cry:

I could ask someone, I don't have a camera on my phone, but I agree, photo evidence would really help in any future cases.

Such a sad update, how awful for you to find him. You did your best to help and I’m sure he was grateful to be shown some love in his last few days :cry:

Oh my goodness how terrible and so very sad :(

Any idea how he may have passed?

Sleep tightly little one xxx

Oh how terrible :cry:
Rest peacefully little one. And know that you are loved and missed by those you never knew. :cry:

I hope you can get what you need to report his tragedy, Lolly's Mum, and thank you for being there to care about this wee one. Bunnies need more folks like you who step in and advocate for them even when they belong to other people. ((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))) xxxx

I wasn't able to photograph the scene, according to another neighbour the bunny's owner removed Snowy sometime this afternoon.

I can't stop cuddling my bunny Edward, as if by giving him all my love it will be somehow transfered to Snowy.:cry::cry::cry:

This has made me so sad, how awful :( It must have been a shock for you, I'm sorry. Shame on them for neglecting poor Snowy x

shame on them

Bless you. I am so sorry for Snowy. How very very tragic :cry:

So sorry. I know how horrible it is when ignorant people refuse to do the right thing - been there more than once. We keep copies of the RWA booklet on rabbit care to give out sometimes not that it has made any difference to the little rabbit a few doors down whom we are currently fretting about:cry:

Back