• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Bizarre Event

supersonic

Mama Doe
This happened a couple of weeks ago, and I've been umming and ahing about whether to talk about this on here. Basically, I don't want any arguments :lol:

So, a couple of weeks ago, I went out to see Sonic before I went to bed, and he'd not eaten any of his food. This was probably about 3 hours after I'd fed him, so very unusual. He was so lethargic. Just lay with his back to me, and when I got him out, he just snuggled into my arms.

He looked like he had made peace, and was just going to die that night. Mum's been a nurse for 25 years, and said that he reminded her of the little old men in hospital who just say "I've had a good life, but I'm ready to go now". We felt sad, we felt like it was time for him, so we filled his hutch with hay and lots of tasty veg for him, and went to bed, not knowing what to expect in the morning.
(Before anyone says anything, we didn't take him to the vets because he wasn't in any distress or pain, he looked like he was just ready to go. Car journeys stress him out, so we decided against it.)

Anyway, I didn't really sleep well, heard him thump a few times in the night (which is a good sign, he's a funny one). I went out early next morning and he was normal. Eaten all his food, pooped loads, drank his water, and even did his 'dancing bear' routine when I walked over to him. I gave him a twig from the apple tree and he demolished it. Ever since, he seems to be acting like a bun half his age. Despite his terrible moult, he looks amazing!

We're really confused. We all thought he was going to pass away overnight. But all that worry was for nothing.

Basically, I'm wondering... does anyone have any ideas what it might have been? He's never acted so lethargic, even when he was ill with stasis. Could it be something to do with his moult? His poops were a bit hairy, but no signs of a blockage or anything.

Glad to hear he improved :)

It could be something like arthritis pain that was giving him some grief, and then eased, although that's putely conjecture because it could have been any/many things.

It's probably worth a vet check for that as, if it is that and he is started on Metacam, it hopefully won't happen again.

It's qujite common in this house to get the 'I'm dying' look but none of them have ever actually died at that point, to be honest. Just some meds, fluids, warmth, and whatever else they need and they turn around.

Hi! Our 3 year old buck has episodes several times a year as you have described. I have never taken him to the vets as he has always recovered in 2-3 hours sometimes less. But I have been mad with worry and super vigilant. It only happens when he is moulting. He can go for weeks/months with a great appetite but then we notice his moulting lines and then literally minutes after behaving normally he is refusing food and lying out being lethargic. We nurse him through with tummy rubs, slapping him gently around the face with wet herbs or kale(which he then snatches and tries to eat) and dose him with infacol. We also try to get him to run around which I hate doing but hope it will do him good. I have assumed it is the early stages of GI stasis and as such am totally prepared to take him to the vets but as you say this is a stressful event and with experience I feel we should avoid it if I can manage for a short time monitoring output aswell as any thing he eats. The thing I'm not sure about is if this a direct response to ingesting fur of if physiologically something else is going on whilst he is moulting. I would be really interested to hear others theories/ experiences. From what you've said Sonic sounds like an older bun and this has not happened before so there could be many other reasons. I'm just relieved to hear he is doing well.☺

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

This happened a couple of weeks ago, and I've been umming and ahing about whether to talk about this on here. Basically, I don't want any arguments :lol:

So, a couple of weeks ago, I went out to see Sonic before I went to bed, and he'd not eaten any of his food. This was probably about 3 hours after I'd fed him, so very unusual. He was so lethargic. Just lay with his back to me, and when I got him out, he just snuggled into my arms.

He looked like he had made peace, and was just going to die that night. Mum's been a nurse for 25 years, and said that he reminded her of the little old men in hospital who just say "I've had a good life, but I'm ready to go now". We felt sad, we felt like it was time for him, so we filled his hutch with hay and lots of tasty veg for him, and went to bed, not knowing what to expect in the morning.
(Before anyone says anything, we didn't take him to the vets because he wasn't in any distress or pain, he looked like he was just ready to go. Car journeys stress him out, so we decided against it.)

Anyway, I didn't really sleep well, heard him thump a few times in the night (which is a good sign, he's a funny one). I went out early next morning and he was normal. Eaten all his food, pooped loads, drank his water, and even did his 'dancing bear' routine when I walked over to him. I gave him a twig from the apple tree and he demolished it. Ever since, he seems to be acting like a bun half his age. Despite his terrible moult, he looks amazing!

We're really confused. We all thought he was going to pass away overnight. But all that worry was for nothing.

Basically, I'm wondering... does anyone have any ideas what it might have been? He's never acted so lethargic, even when he was ill with stasis. Could it be something to do with his moult? His poops were a bit hairy, but no signs of a blockage or anything.

Hi there :wave:

What a curious set of events!

My first thought is that something had spooked him and he was really upset and was basically 'in shock'. However, it could also be that he was having a painful tummy episode that righted itself on it's own. Gas is painful, and when it's passing that can be rather painful too. You might have caught him at that point?

I do agree with Julia, I would give Infacol at that point, just in case it helps with passing gas. You probably know but the way Infacol works is to gather up small gas bubbles which on the whole don't respond well to gut contractions) into larger bubbles. These larger bubbles are far easier to pass with the rabbit's gut contractions. (I was also rather amused at Julia saying she slapped her rabbit gently around the face with wet herbs :))

As for anyone commenting on your decision regarding Sonic, you won't get any flack from me :) I've been bullied myself for using Infacol as a first resort for rabbits on occasion instead of rushing to the vet within the first ten minutes so I know exactly where you're coming from :) You know your rabbit better than any of us on here and no one should feel judgemental of you.

I hope he continues to remain well and that you have a peaceful and worry-free night xx

Thanks for your input guys! (and for being nice ;) )

Regarding the tummy issue, when he's had gas before, he's made it very clear. His tummy has been rock hard and he's rubbed his belly on the ground as if to try get rid of the gas. We had none of this, his tummy felt full, but not hard and he was laying normally.
We quickly ruled out teeth trouble the next day, after he devoured some apple tree.
Regarding the arthritis, it wasn't a particularly cold/wet night, and he's never shown signs of arthritis before. He's a very agile rabbit, still binkies around like he's a bunny (he's 8 and a half now). I did wonder about this, but again, ruled it out after he was so normal after.
I love the idea of slapping him around the face with wet herbs :lol: He's not too big on herbs, but a wet apple tree branch might do the trick?

Thanks for your replies. I feel like it might have been a totally random one off, but it's always reassuring to hear of similar instances of rabbit just being plain awkward...

Gas or the early stages of stasis were my first thought too as sometimes they can turn themselves around with those without any human interference.

Ive nursed mine back to health at home by doing the usual tempting them with food (or rather, annoying them by sticking food in their face) and getting them to move around and doing gentle tummy rubs. Trying to avoid stress as much as possible too. From what I understand, mine have many times over the years either had gas or gone into the early stages of stasis (or mini stasis as I call it, for want of a better word) but never full blown stasis as I think that needs meds/vet care to turn them around? Not too sure on specifics of these things, I just know my buns tummies!

I'm glad to hear he was ok :) I bet he was tempted by all that nice fresh hay and veg and it got him eating again

Thanks for your input guys! (and for being nice ;) )

Regarding the tummy issue, when he's had gas before, he's made it very clear. His tummy has been rock hard and he's rubbed his belly on the ground as if to try get rid of the gas. We had none of this, his tummy felt full, but not hard and he was laying normally.
We quickly ruled out teeth trouble the next day, after he devoured some apple tree.
Regarding the arthritis, it wasn't a particularly cold/wet night, and he's never shown signs of arthritis before. He's a very agile rabbit, still binkies around like he's a bunny (he's 8 and a half now). I did wonder about this, but again, ruled it out after he was so normal after.
I love the idea of slapping him around the face with wet herbs :lol: He's not too big on herbs, but a wet apple tree branch might do the trick?

Thanks for your replies. I feel like it might have been a totally random one off, but it's always reassuring to hear of similar instances of rabbit just being plain awkward...

Now you may just get the Forum rocking if you start whacking him around the chops with a wet apple branch :lol:

As he's an outdoor bun I'd say it's likely something spooked him and he went into a little shock mode.
Phoebe done just this two days ago and I just spent the evening sat in their room until it passed. No idea what spooked her but later that night something spooked Daphne. (I blame the ghosts).

Moulting can also be a cause. It's surprisingly difficult on their immune system and the injestation of the fur could have caused a little discomfort while it passed.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My guinea pigs always stare at nothing in the garden, so it could have been whatever they see! I imagine it was something to do with his moult, but he did look terrible. At least he's ok now!

I'm fine thank you, MightyMax! I've been quiet, but I do sometimes come on and have a snoop around :) I've just been so busy over summer (if you can even call it that) it seems to have flown by without me knowing.

My guinea pigs always stare at nothing in the garden, so it could have been whatever they see! I imagine it was something to do with his moult, but he did look terrible. At least he's ok now!

I'm fine thank you, MightyMax! I've been quiet, but I do sometimes come on and have a snoop around :) I've just been so busy over summer (if you can even call it that) it seems to have flown by without me knowing.

:D:thumb:

It does that to me as well! :lol:

Back