• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VERY SIMPLE QUESTION

StarskyBunni

Young Bun
Hi, its been a while since i had a bunny and i was just checking how often everyone cleans the hutches out? i know it sound silly but just to be sure!

Thanks!

Keeley

i wanted to ask the same thing!

So far, as he just arrived on Wednesday, (he's a housebun) i'm just cleaning him out in the morning, clearing everything out. Once litter tray has been established i'm thinking i'll empty just that in evening as well to keep things nice.

As i'm v new to all this things may change but my gut feel is that this would be a routine that would work for us.

hope this helps & am v interested in other peoples routine.

well i clean Mubbys litter trays out every day , both the one in the lounge and the one in his cage...

and i disenfect his cage once a week... he has vet bed in thier too which i swap over in the clean ... :D

but when he was really little ( lol as hes only 4 months now! ) i had to clean it daily for the first month.... as his poo got all stuck and he wasnt sure where to wee :D

but now he uses his litter trays his cage is immaculate :D

and topped up with hay , fresh water and pellets daily :D

Blueberry is indoors, everyday I scoop out the wet litter (megazorb)and poops and top up with fresh litter I give the litter tray a total clean out every 2-3 days.
I know some people on here use litter trays in their outdoor hutches, so it's easier to clean out the tray more often than cleaning out the whole hutch.

Ohhh I am bad and rarely clean the hutch. I used to have to alot when he wasn't litter trained. Now I mostly do the litter tray. Due to various moving things/changing setups I have just been cleaning odd bits of the setup at a time to try and leave some of it being his own. I never use any cleaning products, just vinegar on urine stains and water. I get sick with the smell of products so if I am sick I presume it cannot do bunnie any good either.

AmberUK said:
I never use any cleaning products, just vinegar on urine stains and water. I get sick with the smell of products so if I am sick I presume it cannot do bunnie any good either.

So do I, I have a plant spray with half and half white vinegar with water that I use round the house and general cage cleaning. Then use white vinegar neat on bad urine stains.

I sprayed Febreze on the carpet near Mubbys litter tray once...

he sat and sneezed!!! lol was cute but I figured I better not make my poor bunnykins sneeze again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[rant] Febreze is evil, that and those air freshners in the glass and those magic tree freshners in cars. Evil Evil. Satan products [/rant]

AmberUK said:
[rant] Febreze is evil, that and those air freshners in the glass and those magic tree freshners in cars. Evil Evil. Satan products [/rant]

I quite agree, they get right up my nose and set off my asthma :( My son had a dreadful allergic reaction to febreeze too, his eyes puffed up until they looked like jelly, I thought he would go blind and got in a right panic.

I clean Fonzie out 3 times a week (at the mo I'm doing it every day because she's just been spayed), and disinfect her cage once a week. She hasn't got a litter tray in her cage, and she barely uses the ones in the living room & conservatory, so I clean those every other day! I use this pink disinfectant stuff from Pets at Home, it's really good! Doesn't smell of anything and it really gets the marks off the bottom of the cage!

Hope this helps! :)

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

My hutch bunnies have litter trays, which are an enormous help, as they can be changed every day if necessary, and the rest of the bedding (if dry and clean) once a week.

Under the poo corner, or under the tray, I sprinkle Neutradol powder (which is usually used for carpet freshening but can also be used to freshen dustbins) which helps to keep flies away. I have heard that other people often use garlic powder or garlic granules - available in large tubs from horse supplies places - under the bedding in the hutches in the summer to keep things fresh and deter flies!

Floyd indoors has his tray changed about twice a week; he has two, one needs changing frequently, the other which he only uses at night, not as often.

Lovely bit of trivia for you - a wild rabbit produces an average of 360 currants per day!! Isn't it amazing what fibre can do!

StarskyBunni said:
hmm..interesting fact there.... :)

At what age did everyone start training their bunnies to use a litter tray then?

mubbys was there from day one... i just put a few poo's in there when he done them...

but the first month i spent ALOT of time picking them all up!! :lol:

he chose where he wanted to wee...(so after cleaning a few up :lol: !! )...i popped the tray there and he ALWAYS uses it now :D

and then one day ( after a couple of weeks of putting a few poo's in there !)he just hopped in and poo'd :D and he uses it all time now
( ok a few poo's stray just outside the tray! ) :lol:

someone said you cant litter train til they reach maturity at 6 months :roll:
but i have a fully trained Bunny @ 4 months :p :D

You can litter train at any age but a baby bun may lose its training as its hormones develop. This is fixed with neutering though.

Tam

Tamsin said:
You can litter train at any age but a baby bun may lose its training as its hormones develop. This is fixed with neutering though.

Tam

Yep!!
Blueberry only had 2 accidents as a baby, now however she is 5 1/2 months and she has started weeing on the carpet and currents get left all over the place :? :lol:

Back