• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New member - very sad - have to rehome all my bunnies

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
It is a sad reason to register for this site but I am having to rehome all my little bunnies (my babies). My husband and I are seperating and we are now going through the heart breaking process of selling our house. Neither of us are able to buy another porperty so we sadly have to rehome our outdoor rabbits. We have two house rabbits that will remain with one of us wherever we end up!

Can I have some advice about how I start this process. I won't send them back to a sanctuary and will only be happy with them going to a loving home.

Please help!

Hi,

I'm sorry to here that :( The first thing to do would be write some information about each rabbit. Are they neutered? Paired up with another rabbit? Personality? Size/breed? Health problems etc.

If possible then get photographs as well as they are a BIG help.

Once you have this information then add it to www.rabbitrehome.org.uk you can also put up posters in your local vets/petshops.

Hopefully this will generate some enquiries for your rabbits and then the next step is checking out the people offering a home.

You will need to ask questions such as:
Where will the rabbit be living?
What experiance of caring for rabbit do you have?
Are you aware of the costs involved (vacinations, vet care, food, bedding)?
Do you have any other rabbits?

The new owner should be aware of the needs of rabbits, the cost of caring for them and have suitable accomodation for them to live in. You will need to tell them about any health problems, behaviour problems, or other special needs. It may also be helpful to ask your vet for a copy of any notes about your rabbit to pass on to the new owner, this might include details of vacination dates.

If possible visit the person taking on your rabbit, if you are otherwise happy with them this could be a final check as you drop the rabbit off. If the potential adopter refuses to let you visit you should consider what they may be trying to hide.

You should also chat with them on the phone, not just by email, this will help you assess whether they are the right owner for your rabbit.

If they already have a rabbit they may be able to provide references from their vet, or have papers to prove they passed a home check from a rescue centre.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Hi There, sorry to hear your having a rotten time of it and what a terrible thing. Think Tamsin has you sorted with what to do about bunnies. Good luck with finding homes for them all!

Angela

Thanks everyone for the support and thanks for the advice Tamsin (I didn't think there would be two rabbit lovers called Tamsin out there!)

I have two groups (2 rabbits and a very fat guinea pig) and (three rabbits and a normal sized guinea pig)! We have sorted them out as best we can for rehoming i.e. fully vaccinated and new hutches.

Think I will get a digital camera so I can post pictures of them on the rehoming site. That way I might find a new owner who will keep me upto date with how they are doing.

Hopefully I will be able to put a post on here in a few months time telling you about their happy new homes. And of course if you hear of anyone wanting a ready made family in the Wiltshire area - let me know!!

Tams

Hi Bunnyloopy

Sorry to hear your sad news, I hope things work out for you for the future and I am sure you will find good loving homes for your bunnies.

Back