• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old Photos From When we Lived in Shetland (1980s)

So beautiful and those puffins. :love:. I expected to see you rugged up, can get very cold up there.

Over 20 years ago I stayed a Christmas week with a group of us in a large house on the Isle of Mull. I have never been so cold. In the end I wouldn't even go outside.

So beautiful and those puffins. :love:. I expected to see you rugged up, can get very cold up there.

Over 20 years ago I stayed a Christmas week with a group of us in a large house on the Isle of Mull. I have never been so cold. In the end I wouldn't even go outside.

It could get extremely cold up there but the worst was the wind and horizontal rain !! Oh and the sea haar in June/July. When that came down we were Island locked, no flights in or out for days.

Beautiful photos ! I love Shetland, only went the once for a week, but a really stunning place. Puffins are just brilliant :D

Fabulous photos, love the puffins. If my parents were no longer about I'd quite fancy moving to one of the Scottish islands. Maybe the thought is better than the reality though!

Fabulous photos, love the puffins. If my parents were no longer about I'd quite fancy moving to one of the Scottish islands. Maybe the thought is better than the reality though!

IMO it is !! Shetland was OK, but I was very glad to get home. Shetland life was not for me, it was too wet, too windy and too cold. There is also a distinct lack of trees. It's amazing what a profound effect such a barren landscape can have when it's a feature all day every day.

It looks to be a beautiful place to visit and explore! Probably great fun for a dog too - looks like they could just run for miles!
And the puffins, omg they're so adorable :love:

But yeah, the words cold and a lack of trees would immediately turn me off from living there! :lol:

Back