• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have had a dream for some time...

...of setting up a rabbit & guinea pig rescue combined with a visitors centre

imagine a farm that has been landscaped to provide a large number of separate pens where warrens of rescues can live out their days in peace and tranquility...foot paths around the farm would allow visitors to walk past and see the rabbits in their natural homes

part of the farm would be used to grow vegetables, hay, and straw for the rabbits, some of it might even be for organic produce for the visitors to pick-their-own

the farm buildings would be turned into learning centres for school parties and other visitors

other farm buildings would be the nursery where does could take care of their babies if they arrived pregnant. I also have an idea for an indoor warren with one way mirror, so visitors can view the does and kits in their nests without disturbing them

there would be a petting zoo where children, under supervision, can interact with the tamer residents

there would be an onsite rabbit & gp savvy vet practice that would treat residents, new arrivals, as well as registered customers and drop ins. A shop would also be available for essential supplies, but never to sell animals

the rescue would be open to members, day visitors and for those that cannot come onsite, we would have a live web streaming service

what do you all think ?

I have found a farm which I think might be ideal location for this project, I just need someone/many people to help me buy and start up this charity venture

https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...caab258cd53c82b6fe29fc565#6VsW491CzvqDuXgK.97

...of setting up a rabbit & guinea pig rescue combined with a visitors centre

imagine a farm that has been landscaped to provide a large number of separate pens where warrens of rescues can live out their days in peace and tranquility...foot paths around the farm would allow visitors to walk past and see the rabbits in their natural homes

part of the farm would be used to grow vegetables, hay, and straw for the rabbits, some of it might even be for organic produce for the visitors to pick-their-own

the farm buildings would be turned into learning centres for school parties and other visitors

other farm buildings would be the nursery where does could take care of their babies if they arrived pregnant. I also have an idea for an indoor warren with one way mirror, so visitors can view the does and kits in their nests without disturbing them

there would be a petting zoo where children, under supervision, can interact with the tamer residents

there would be an onsite rabbit & gp savvy vet practice that would treat residents, new arrivals, as well as registered customers and drop ins. A shop would also be available for essential supplies, but never to sell animals

the rescue would be open to members, day visitors and for those that cannot come onsite, we would have a live web streaming service

what do you all think ?

I have found a farm which I think might be ideal location for this project, I just need someone/many people to help me buy and start up this charity venture

https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...caab258cd53c82b6fe29fc565#6VsW491CzvqDuXgK.97

Sounds like a wonderful idea :love:

It sounds like a great idea, but I can imagine that getting it off the ground would be more than challenging without serious investment x

Strong finances and a stronger costitution: best of luck if you do go for it, it sounds fabulous. And not unachievable, at least in stages :)

Strong finances and a stronger costitution: best of luck if you do go for it, it sounds fabulous. And not unachievable, at least in stages :)

indeed

its an interesting location, quite suitable for the project I have in mind

in addition to the plot above, there is a second adjacent plot of 6 acres with planning permission

https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...ad22fbd52e7f84b2bbea4c834#JjFvmx4C3PRzuekT.97

the total cost of both plots being £1.1M

my initial concern about the first plot was the security aspect, with no onsite accomodation, the rescue would be unattended overnight...you hear about nutters that get kicks abusing defenceless animals...

so now with a total of 15 acres, onsite accomodation a possibility (albeit with additional cost), stable block, multiple barnes, office space, water and electricity, hard standing, good transport links to southampton, winchester and portsmouth...the only problem is the £1.1M+ to realise the project :lol:

if only I had bought those 300,000 barclays bank shares in 2009....:?

sigh...I must stop looking on rightmove

I found another site, £635,000

14 acre site, 12 acres of grass
large barn
3 stables
stalls for horses
outdoor menage
wooden office and admin block
onsite mobile home
storage unit for hay and straw

really nice area, walking distance to south downs

Back