• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss of 3 rabbits in just over a month

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Hello everyone

I haven't posted on here in a few years but I am looking for some advice. I am absolutely devastated and confused.

Last month I had four lovely rabbits, and now I only have one left. They all lived separately although their runs were directly next to each other. Just to give you a run-down:

Bella - She was 9.5 years and unfortunately she was found dead one morning - no sign of previous illness.

Woody - Woody was 9.5 and had long-term, very severe dental disease. He developed a cataract out of nowhere and my vet believed this could be linked to Encephalitozoon Cuniculi. No blood tests were sent off to confirm this because unfortunately I had to make the very hard decision to have Woody put to sleep before this could happen. He was suffering from gut stasis from which he wasn't recovering, and I did not want him to suffer any longer.

Pepper - I found Pepper collapsed last night when I came home from work. She was barely breathing and was very cold. Within 5 minutes of finding her I was at the vet, and they put her on oxygen. They couldn't immediately find the cause for her collapse but she was suffering and barely holding on. Again, I had to make the painful decision and we lost her last night.

I am now left with one rabbit who is 5 years. He is currently very healthy, but I can't help but think that there might be a strange link between their deaths, and is there absolutely anything I can do to ensure that my remaining rabbit stays fit and healthy? I realise my other three were of an old age, so it could just be a strange coincidence to lose them so closely together.

I wanted to move my remaining rabbit into Woody's enclosure because it is very large and seems a shame to just destroy it - but is this not advisable because of cross infection? Please help me. Thank you.

Yes. If they weren't I would consider a PM. I would also speak to your vet about vacinating the remaining one.

I definately would not move him into woodys enclosure without a definate answer and would invest in some strong disinfectant like vikron and give everything a good clean.

Remember to change clothes/shoes etc in between suspect areas and your remaining bunnies enclosure. Use a seperate dustpan/brush etc. Everything needs to be strictly quarantined.

Fingers crossed for you its just coincidence.

((Hugs)) Please try not to worry, Im sorry if I frightened you, its just a good idea to take precautions.

Thank you Amy, I have booked him in but because he is due his normal booster jabs they've said I have to wait 2 weeks. I've purchased Virkon and I will clean everything this weekend. I will also destroy the remaining homes that are left. :-(

Might be worth asking if you can do the vaccines the other way round. Filivac covers both strains of VHD so it would only be the myxi that wasn't covered (which you could do in 2 weeks) as the VHD is probably the bigger risk at the moment.

I'm so sorry you've had such an upsetting time.:cry:
I think Amy has given good advice re changing round the vaccinations.

Very useful, thank you. I forgot to add - for several weeks a wild rabbit has been lingering around our garden. I don't know if this has any link whatsoever. However, he/she does look very healthy and not sick in any way. I will call the vet and talk to them about swapping around the vaccines. Is RHD2 the same as VHD2?

Back