• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

serious rabbit hiccups ? breathing difficulties

One of my rabbits has developed breathing difficulties on sunday night

Her breathing is laboured and every other breath seems to look as if she has hiccups

She is off her food

The vet doesn't know what is the cause, having checked for physical obstructions. There is no discharge

She is currently on once-a-day antibiotics, having had single pain relief + gut stimulant injections yesterday, as precautions but without any idea of root cause

Does anyone have any idea what this might be ?

I am really worried for her, especially as she is off her food

Last edited:

Her breathing is laboured and every other breath seems to look as if she has hiccups

She is off her food

The vet doesn't know what is the cause, having checked for physical obstructions. There is no discharge

She is currently on once-a-day antibiotics, having had single pain relief + gut stimulant injections yesterday, as precautions but without any idea of root cause

I hope she gets eating again soon. Stasis is a bit of a bummer on top of the breathing issues:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Is your vet rabbit savvy, and even if so, would you consider getting a second opinion?

The last time this happened I had sedation and X-ray to thoroughly check out the sinuses and lungs to make sure there wasn't any congestion - or to treat what was there.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/respiratory/c_rb_pasteurellosis

I have seen this before in rabbits - boosting the immune system with something like echinacea is also very helpful alongside veterinary recommended treatment:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

A rabbit with a strong immune system will pull through any respiratory distress - you could also ask the vet about using Bisolvon, which is a mucolytic and if there is any congestion or unseen discharge it will help it to pass more easily.

The other option I can suggest is nebulising with saline. This works very well for rabbits. Even if there's no cause or evidence of respiratory issues at this stage, I would use the echinacea, bislovon and nebulise to head off any potential issues.

Good luck, I hope some of my ramblings may be of use!

Last edited:

She is off her food

Hello stranger !

Sorry to hear that you have a poorly Rabbit. Did the Vet suggest taking any chest radiographs. ?

Is your Doe spayed ?

Had you noticed any weightloss over the last few weeks ? Does the 'hiccuping' mostly occur when she is lying down ?

I see you are over in Germany these days. I am not sure about the availability of 'Rabbit Savvy' Vets in/near Dusseldorf ?

If your Doe has shown no signs of improvement at all then personally I'd want to contact the Vet again ASAP.

she isn't spayed

no noticeable weight loss before this week

she hiccups when lying down and sitting up....

*** I have noticed that she raises her head up slightly

Her cheeks are sucked in/pulled back, as if she is struggling for breathe

I will try to upload a video to youtube tonight

I am actually back in hampshire again and not dusseldorf

I might take her to john chitty for a second opinion in the next few days if the antibiotics show no sign of being effective

She was treated yesterday by gus at st. kitts, who I find really good with rabbits

Last edited:
current vet suggested antibiotics as the first action, maybe x-rays as a follow on if no improvement

If you can get her to JC I'd do so ASAP

It sounds as though she is in significant respiratory distress and having episodes of 'mouth breathing'. Photos of 'mouth breathing' on here :

As you probably know, her not being spayed means that there is a chance that her symptoms are related to uterine adenocarcinoma (uterine cancer that has metastasised to her lungs)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterineAdenocarcinomaRabbit.htm

Last edited:
For sure she is in respiratory distress, but I am wondering about root cause

I was cleaning out the second garage on sunday, whilst she was in the first garage. I wonder if the dust in the air has caused this ? Selfishly I always wear a respirator during cleaning so I don't breath the dust myself

I will bring her into the main house this evening and perhaps give her some time on the lawn before that, to see if her breathing improves any

I'd agree with this course of action. I don't know how far away John Chitty is from you?

The easier link I gave you has photos of a rabbit mouth breathing, as an example, but it's a fairly extreme case.

she doesn't make noises like motek in the video

her lifted head is no-where as pronounced as the pictures in the link, but it is recognisably the same type of tilting

she doesn't make noises like motek in the video

her lifted head is no-where as pronounced as the pictures in the link, but it is recognisably the same type of tilting

An X-ray would rule out an enlarged heart, which could also be causing respiratory distress.

Personally, when I spotted the sort of thing you're describing, I hoofed it to the vet for sedation and X-ray and bloods, as I didn't want the issue to become one where sedation was going to be a health risk to the rabbit. (i.e. whatever it was got worse in the waiting)

For sure she is in respiratory distress, but I am wondering about root cause

I was cleaning out the second garage on sunday, whilst she was in the first garage. I wonder if the dust in the air has caused this ? Selfishly I always wear a respirator during cleaning so I don't breath the dust myself

I will bring her into the main house this evening and perhaps give her some time on the lawn before that, to see if her breathing improves any

Dust was my thought too, but I don't think it would cause that amount of distress. However, I think it's a good idea to change the air for a while and see what difference, if any, that makes.

Don't blame yourself for the dust thing. It's more likely to have made her sneeze than the symptoms you describe x

carried on with antibiotics this morning

watched her eat her curly kale and burgess

so my immediately serious concern that she is not eating is not such a concern now

but her hiccups are still there

carried on with antibiotics this morning

watched her eat her curly kale and burgess

so my immediately serious concern that she is not eating is not such a concern now

but her hiccups are still there

Sorry to hear about the hiccups. What also concerns me is the mouth breathing you referred to earlier.

Is she still doing that also?

Back