• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poop problems

Button

New Kit
Hello everyone! My first post, and I and looking for advice or if anyone has been through the same, what did you do?
For some background I have a purebred lionhead (Hoggle) that is now 14 weeks old, I got him when he was 8 weeks old, over the first week I changed his pellets over to Burgress junior and dwarf and introduced some veg all seemed fine, then after 4 weeks started producing more poops than usual that where wet but not runny, soft squishy and black. I gave him just hay for 2 days his poop went back to normal then after eating a few nuggets his poop went back to the squishy ones. I went back to feeding just hay and have slowly introduced a little veg over a week. I went on holiday and had my friend who has owned rabbits look after him for the week, and give me daily feedback, on the last day she said he did misshapen but dry poops so she only fed hay jut incase.
So yesterday when is got home I gave him a good brush as he had been rolling in hay and also wouldn't let her groom him properly. His poop seemed okay, but today it is all different sizes and range from very tiny to quite big ones that are tear drop shaped. They have a thin film over them and are a bit sticky but are not wet or overly squashy.
He has eaten about double his size in hay today, but I am worried that he isn't getting enough of the other things he needs to eat!
He is very small and can sit with all 4 feet on my hand, I want to make sure he is eating enough. Is it safe to go nugget free? Do I need to substitute the nuggets for certain veg? The nuggets contain so much wheat, so I think he may be intolerant to wheat if that is possible?!
He seems happy and comes when he is called and is eating and drinking so am I just being overly worried or should I take him to see a vet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like megacolon to me - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

I had a foster bun with Megacolon and she produced poop which varied hugely in size, they were often oval shaped and covered in mucous (the sticky-ness) as you describe above. She managed to tolerate pellets OK. Was he better on the old pellets? If so I would be tempted to slowly re-introduce the old pellet and monitor his output carefully.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RO-Spring-17-Megacolon.pdf

Last edited:
Back